Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

giantgolfer

Ok, will take pictures if I go back during the week. Universal tomorrow you will see 45 min or more for Shrek. Thats how you know if the park is full. A lot of locals go to the parks just to the restaurants. They should open Epcot to 100% if they want more revenue and save jobs. Right now I see so many out of state license plates it feels like summer. If you want to build a pool in your home, you need to wait until 2021, that how bad the economy is.
It’s Columbus Day weekend. Don’t need pictures to understand that WDW will be very busy on a holiday. Thanks though.

Dan Deesnee

Schools may be off for Columbus Day but most white/blue collar workers are not. Banks are closed, just about everything else is open so I wouldn't try to pretend that is why it will be crowded this weekend. I was there for a week toward the end of September and into October and it was pretty packed.

Also I agree with the poster that many areas of the country are almost completely back to normal. That includes where I live which is only 20 minutes outside of a major metropolitan area. that being said I know many families in the area that I've talked to who aren't doing their Disney trips this year because of the reduced experience level and masks being required along with the park reservation system which I forgot to mention in my list above.

Jrb1979

Schools may be off for Columbus Day but most white/blue collar workers are not. Banks are closed, just about everything else is open so I wouldn't try to pretend that is why it will be crowded this weekend. I was there for a week toward the end of September and into October and it was pretty packed.

Also I agree with the poster that many areas of the country are almost completely back to normal. That includes where I live which is only 20 minutes outside of a major metropolitan area. that being said I know many families in the area that I've talked to who aren't doing their Disney trips this year because of the reduced experience level and masks being required along with the park reservation system which I forgot to mention in my list above.
If in your world things are back to normal then why the layoffs at multiple companies across the country? Airlines are cutting flights as well. Yeah we are back to normal 🙄

Dan Deesnee

From many reports, the security CMs are stopping cars arriving att a resort unless you are staying at that resort or have an ADR there. Even rideshares are being turned away.

If you use Disney transport then there is no problem.
We did not experience this at all last week. We probably used Uber for five times to go to Bay Lake tower, contemporary, Polynesian, Boardwalk, Beach Club and our driver was never stopped outside of just to say he was dropping us off.
If in your world things are back to normal then why the layoffs at multiple companies across the country? Airlines are cutting flights as well. Yeah we are back to normal 🙄
"many areas of the country are almost completely back to normal." Many, not all, not most.

And what does being able to not wear a mask have to do with employment? If you want to talk about that, unemployment in my area of the country only rose modestly. Things are about 90% back to normal here. If you're concerned for the economy/unemployed that should make you happy. Sorry if it bothers you for some reason.

Jrb1979

We did not experience this at all last week. We probably used Uber for five times to go to Bay Lake tower, contemporary, Polynesian, Boardwalk, Beach Club and our driver was never stopped outside of just to say he was dropping us off.

"many areas of the country are almost completely back to normal." Many, not all, not most.

And what does being able to not wear a mask have to do with employment? If you want to talk about that, unemployment in my area of the country only rose modestly. Things are about 90% back to normal here. If you're concerned for the economy/unemployed that should make you happy. Sorry if it bothers you for some reason.
I'm happy people are going back to work and that's not what bothers me. What bothers me is how so many believe Covid is not big deal and masks need to go.

Dan Deesnee

I'm happy people are going back to work and that's not what bothers me. What bothers me is how so many believe Covid is not big deal and masks need to go.

Do you feel that the economic destruction that continues to take place (along with the incoming eviction wave early next year) are big deals? If so, which is a bigger deal, that or the virus?

Some people are simply not scared of a virus with such a low mortality rate and they will skip their Disney trips until the mask mandate is lifted and experiences at the parks and resorts are mostly normal.

My group is really excited to see hours extended at our two favorite evening parks.

ImperfectPixie

Those people are going to continue to cause mini-outbreaks. I don't know why it's so hard for them to grasp that some small behavioral changes will benefit us all and get the economy running more closely to normal.

Jrb1979

Do you feel that the economic destruction that continues to take place (along with the incoming eviction wave early next year) are big deals? If so, which is a bigger deal, that or the virus?

Some people are simply not scared of a virus with such a low mortality rate and they will skip their Disney trips until the mask mandate is lifted and experiences at the parks and resorts are mostly normal.

My group is really excited to see hours extended at our two favorite evening parks.
I'm not scared of the virus. I really don't see the big deal with wearing a mask and social distancing as a way to live with the virus.

Miss Bella

I'm surprised schools are taking a Fall break with so many of them starting late.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I get your perspective but realize that is just in the hardest hit areas and the ones that are still under restrictions. Howver it is not as bad as you are seeing locally. That is what i was alluding to in my post about travel around the country. There are many places were there is no major economic impact, there is some obviously but not major. Life is back to normal or getting really close in some areas of the country. For example went out tonight ate dinner at a 100% full restaurant with no masks at all servers and patrons alike. also stopped off at a bar and had a few drinks again no masks anywhere. Only time I wore a mask this week was breifly at a Starbucks before I sat down, at a grocery store and on a couple of flights.

That said back to WDW as others have mentioned things are getting busy there as well. It is really fascinating to see how some states/areas are still in a version of lockdown and some are not. It is only going to be busier. Anecdotal but everyone i know have only modified vacations to go were things are more open and with less restrictions, ie Florida. etc. and not going to NY tristate area frankly because there is nothing to do there and the hassle. Which is a shame.
I think you are focusing too much on your personal anecdotal experiences and extrapolating to “everyone is doing this”. If lots of people are going back to vacations as usual then why are half the Disney resort rooms closed? Why has Universal closed 3/4 of their hotels for the year? If people in a lot of places have gone back to life as usual wouldn’t those rooms be needed, especially being a little over a month from the 3rd busiest week of the year at WDW (Christmas, Spring Break, Thanksgiving, July 4th).

I’m not basing what I’m saying on what I’m personally doing, it’s based on macroeconomic conditions. Air travel overall is still down around 2/3 from the same period the year before. See below. Some of that is business travel (20% of flights in 2019 were business vs 80% leisure- see 2nd link) but leisure travel is way down too. So while you may know people who haven’t modified their travel plans a lot of people obviously have or the numbers would be much better. I’m not trying to be a downer, but just saying “everything is fine now” doesn’t make it so. WDW is surviving...mostly on the backs of locals. Regular travel isn’t close to back to normal. It’s not my opinion, it’s a fact.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm surprised schools are taking a Fall break with so many of them starting late.
I think some of it is based on union contracts and/or requirements for teacher training. My kids didn’t start late, but they still have 2 days off the first week of November which are both teacher in service days (they also use several of the elementary schools as polling places so they always have Election Day off).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom