What’s next for Animal Kingdom?

bryanfze55

For RJ, at least, there is most definitely a story, the problem is that it doesnt have a satisfying finale. Imagine seeing Star Wars and the climactic battle to defeat the Death Star happens off screen. Thats my problem with RJ. You get all this story and buildup and you never get to see the payoff. You just get the ships taking off to attack and suddenly they are handing out medals. The story still exist...It just isnt a satisfactory conclusion.

I could be way off base - it’s been a couple years since I’ve been on NRJ. But what was the story exactly? It didn’t stick with me. I thought the whole narrative plot was just going to find the Shaman, for reasons unknown.

Tavernacle12

I've argued this here before, but I don't think it feels empty -- it's elaborately detailed, it just ends abruptly (as someone mentioned above).

I think what's there is significantly better than what's in Frozen Ever After or Little Mermaid, which have more AAs (FEA has very good AAs) but feel very underbuilt/cheap otherwise. NRJ really does feel like you're on a river in an alien rain forest because you're completely surrounded by detailed sets.

I think the main reason people are so down on NRJ is because of the insane wait times. If it had 30-45 minute waits I think most people would enjoy it as a solid C ticket dark ride (even though it still has serious issues with the story/abrupt ending). I've only ever been on it with a FastPass. I'm sure if I waited two hours to ride it, I would have been very annoyed because it's not worth that kind of wait.

I’m sure if it ever goes to walk on territory’s I’ll enjoy it more, same with Mermaid which is now a favorite, in part, because I can usually hop right on.

I’ll defend FEA, though: the animatronics there are spectacular, some of them have long enough animations you can miss it (Anna and Olaf wave goodbye if I recall), and if you’re a Frozen fan seeing everyone in that way is a blast. As is, the sets could use work in the middle, but I’ve always seen that an an inevitable fix.

UNCgolf

I’m sure if it ever goes to walk on territory’s I’ll enjoy it more, same with Mermaid which is now a favorite, in part, because I can usually hop right on.

I’ll defend FEA, though: the animatronics there are spectacular, some of them have long enough animations you can miss it (Anna and Olaf wave goodbye if I recall), and if you’re a Frozen fan seeing everyone in that way is a blast. As is, the sets could use work in the middle, but I’ve always seen that an an inevitable fix.

I think Little Mermaid is a poorly designed and built ride (and certainly not what Disney was hoping/expecting with that massive queue), but it's fine to ride as a walk-on. I just wouldn't ever wait to wait for it. NRJ is a much better ride than Mermaid, and one I'd be willing to wait for -- just not two hours worth of waiting. I really enjoy riding it despite its issues.

The FEA animatronics are quite good, although the projected faces only work from specific angles. If you look back at the figures as you move past they look bizarre and distorted. The rest of the ride is the issue, with the underbuilt sets and large amounts of empty space. I wouldn't expect them to change that anytime soon (if ever).

DisneyTalks

Although i know it would never happen with the unoriginal ceos we've had now, but I'd love it if they actually brought Beastly Kingdom to life. But having switch from the iger (IP) era, to Chapek(a probably more aggressive IP injector), its never gonna happen.

Miru

Although i know it would never happen with the unoriginal ceos we've had now, but I'd love it if they actually brought Beastly Kingdom to life. But having switch from the iger (IP) era, to Chapek(a probably more aggressive IP injector), its never gonna happen.
I know... we won’t get an original attraction for decades now, maybe unless someone else foots the bill like with Habit Heroes.
I’m pretty sure Primeval Whirl is toast, but will there be anything to replace it, or is it just gonna leave a hole?

TrainsOfDisney

I know... we won’t get an original attraction for decades now, maybe unless someone else foots the bill like with Habit Heroes.
I’m pretty sure Primeval Whirl is toast, but will there be anything to replace it, or is it just gonna leave a hole?
I know it would cost as much as anything else with wdi spending the way it is, but if we had to keep the carnival, it would be really fun to have a cheesy old fun house style dark ride. Basically mr. toad with Dino’s.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
A reworked Dinoland USA, hopefully.

I know it would cost as much as anything else with wdi spending the way it is, but if we had to keep the carnival, it would be really fun to have a cheesy old fun house style dark ride. Basically mr. toad with Dino’s.
That's what they should have done with Dino-Rama as whole. Taken it to the extremes. Fully embraced the cheese. The theme they were going for isn't a bad one, it just wasn't executed well. Had WDI for example, added a cheesy darkride, that junkyard coaster and had the Dino Institute façade appear more abandoned with cracks and overgrowth, etc the entire land could have been more cohesive. (and better fit with the rest of Animal Kingdom's aged aesthetic) In my headcannon, the backstory could be that a down-on-her-luck owner of Dinorama Park has seemingly discovered her great grandfather's (S.E.A. member) abandoned time travel tech and is wanting to turn the park around with real dinosaurs. Help save the park from extinction! (1 part Land of the Lost to 2 parts We're Back!, with a little Jurassic Park naïve optimism thrown in for good measure) I definitely think it could work but the land needs that cheesed out bus bar dark ride and junkyard coaster!

Last edited:

Miru

Understandable on both counts. Remember how they closed a bunch of DTD stuff for a hotel, and it left a hole when the hotel was axed in favor of that update to the main hotel? (Two of them reopened, but the RC’s closure contributed to the worldwide endangerment of the chain).

Pre-Chapek, the Staracade also left a hole.

Goofy213

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I just heard that Disney was surveying guest about Animal Kingdom and specifically Dinoland. In the survey they asked how guest felt about Star Wars and Marvel, which brought about an idea. I know certain Marvel IPs are not allowed East of the Mississippi, but one that would fit Animal Kingdom is. What about bringing Wakanda to Animal Kingdom? I know it was discussed for the Life Pavillion at Epcot, but now we know that won't happen, so Animal Kingdom would be the best fit. Don't give me the whole Marvel belongs at Studio's bit, we've heard it before. Which I agree Studio's would be best if it was Marvel Land, but Wakanda is based in Africa and supports the message of saving the environment through technology. Ok, yes I know not another IP based land, but let's face it that's what we are going to get from now on. There would be some massive overhaul needed, and something would have to be done about Dinosaur. Maybe an chase through Wakanda, with a mix of the new Spiderman ride technology of Black Panther jumping in and saving the day here and there? Just an idea. After all this is all just wishful thinking at this point. Just wanted to see some other opinions.

wdrive

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I just heard that Disney was surveying guest about Animal Kingdom and specifically Dinoland. In the survey they asked how guest felt about Star Wars and Marvel, which brought about an idea. I know certain Marvel IPs are not allowed East of the Mississippi, but one that would fit Animal Kingdom is. What about bringing Wakanda to Animal Kingdom? I know it was discussed for the Life Pavillion at Epcot, but now we know that won't happen, so Animal Kingdom would be the best fit. Don't give me the whole Marvel belongs at Studio's bit, we've heard it before. Which I agree Studio's would be best if it was Marvel Land, but Wakanda is based in Africa and supports the message of saving the environment through technology. Ok, yes I know not another IP based land, but let's face it that's what we are going to get from now on. There would be some massive overhaul needed, and something would have to be done about Dinosaur. Maybe an chase through Wakanda, with a mix of the new Spiderman ride technology of Black Panther jumping in and saving the day here and there? Just an idea. After all this is all just wishful thinking at this point. Just wanted to see some other opinions.

It’s been discussed somewhere on here before. Personally I’d be dead set against it.
But I wouldn’t be surprised to see them do it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Update: Chadwick Boseman unfortunately passed away. Don’t think that means they will be circumventing the avengers restriction in their contract with Comcast to build a land in animal kingdom anytime soon.

There’s also the reality that there won’t be any significant build in any park for a long time. Economics.

bryanfze55

Update: Chadwick Boseman unfortunately passed away. Don’t think that means they will be circumventing the avengers restriction in their contract with Comcast to build a land in animal kingdom anytime soon.

There’s also the reality that there won’t be any significant build in any park for a long time. Economics.

I do find some of your posts to be overly pessimistic. But this statement is 100% accurate. What we’ve got coming now is it for a long time.

Miru

If we do add Marvel, why not go for the literal animals, like Rocket? Once Hit-Monkey makes an MCU appearance, he could work too.

MickeyLuv'r

It would be nice if AK was able to expand upon their mission of advocating for wildlife. I suppose they could do that with a Wakanda flavor.
What I'd love to see is for them to consider advocating for the types of wildlife/plants we don't usually see in zoos. It is great to preserve elephants and giraffes, but what about endangered plants, and invertebrates? Maybe make a land that is dedicated to parts of the USA that are in need of preservation? Just in FL, AK could bring attention to the Everglades (or FL's coastline). Surely AK could create a fun Everglades attraction, that manages to highlight some of the unique plants and insects that rely on FL? The Everglades have a number of endangered butterflies, including several very pretty blue butterflies.

Or AK could have an area that's all about a variety of landscapes we don't often hear about, like shrublands/scrublands, sand prairies, and prairie potholes.

Robbiem

While I would love an IP free animal land based on Australia I think that would be a long shot today.

An IP which could fit would be Moana. You could make an oceania themed area focusing on the oceans and conservation. Aquatic animals and their ecology would be agood fit for animal kingdom and different enough from the seas at Epcot

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom