Oh no, say it ain't so, Joe..

JIMINYCR

Doesn't seem like they'd outright lay off their highest profile Imagineer. I could imagine a mutually-agreed retirement with an 18-month consulting term.
I would bet more on this happening than the story that they are letting him go. In many companies the person who transitions into the consulting role actually makes out better and the company retains their loyalty and functionality. It also saves the company from looking bad or risking the value of the person being grabbed up by a competitor.

SoFloMagic

If they already bought the island...I’m not sure it will matter. It will bounce back...eventually. Definitely will take a long time, but the new ships are still coming.
I think you're right about a long time. Until covid is completely gone, I'd guess. Cruise ships were breeding grounds for viruses in good times. I can't imagine a time when I'd feel safe on a cruise - my guess is I'm not alone on that.

Brer Oswald

I’m sure there are lots of people set to work on Splash, among other projects, that have unfortunately been laid off. It is only natural that they would prioritize keeping project heads, as they will lead more than just this one project in the future.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Is there a reason you think he’s over rated?
Don't get me wrong, I don't think he is horrible or bad in any way. He just has never created a ride that has 'WOWED' me at all. I think becuase his name is out there people think of him as this generations Mark Davis or Claude Coats or Tony Baxter. He is not on any of their levels to be honest. He is ok. Its like when a show gets deep into its series run and the original writers who made it what it was are long gone but we had like a 4th tier writer get promoted to head writer by defualt. The writing then becomes ok but not the reason I fell in love with the show in the first place.

Animaniac93-98

Is there a reason you think he’s over rated?

I can't speak for the other poster, but IMO;

Joe started a trend in WDI that obsessed over detail and forgot the fundamentals about good park design. His obsession with authenticity fails to understand adaptation or the appeal of the Disney parks as romanticized realities. I think a perfect example was when AK opened, and among other things, people couldn't find their way back to the parking lot. He had a vision for the park that did not really suit the needs of guests or add anything more to the "zoo with rides" concept that hadn't been done before besides making it a little more polished in its presentation.

AK, his signature work, was built in the same era of WDI that saw an interest in industrialized environments (factories, studios etc) and technology for the sake of technology (Test Track 1.0 being the ultimate example). Trying to show off technical abilities and how cool the "real world" was instead of presenting something better. The park wants to take you to "exotic" places, but in too literal a sense. It comes across as imitation and doesn't really add anything more besides copyrighted Disney IP (not always Joe's fault). Avatar is the only land that really builds on an concept and takes it further, wisely distancing itself from the narrative of the original movie.

To me, there's a thru line that connects Main Street, New Orleans Square, World Showcase, Mediterranean Harbor etc and its a kind of romanticism. Animal Kingdom Lodge has that, but not the park itself. It's a shame.

I also increasingly appreciate how someone like Claude Coats could use threadbare resources and make something memorable, instead of WDI spending half a billion for something that still feels half baked. Everyone at WDI is guilty of this, but Joe's approach to and advocating of research trips won't teach him or others how to change that.

Lora Baines Bradley

re: Dinoland, unpopular opinion, but I think that area is genius. I've said this in another thread, but Dinoland is supposed to look ty, because the whole point is that some entrepreneurs saw the success of Dino Institute and sprouted up a roadside carnival to take advantage of that. Yeah it was made because they blew the budget in other areas, and I'd love to see the area improved in the future, but I give WDI props for making lemonade with what they were given. The level of detail in Restaurantasarus makes it one of my favorite places in WDW.

But I also love Dinosaur, in that so-bad-it's-good kinda way. It's a remnant of wacky 90s Disney, IMO, and there's not much of that left in the parks anymore (probably for the best.) It's not the best content, but hell if I don't love it to pieces.

My boyfriend can recite the entire ride audio of Dinosaur, including preshow, and we're planning on eventually doing a couples costume where he's Dr. Seeker and I'm an iguanodon. We just love it that much.

TrainsOfDisney

Makes sense. DAK took some getting used to for me, but compared to the mess that all of the other US parks have become DAK feels like it has a unique personality still, so it’s grown in favor with me.

No one is going to beat X, and Marc, and John Hench.

I don’t think he’s over rated or under rated... they used him for lots of press with DAK probably because he has personality and passion. Just like they used Tony and Marty and now Kim Irvine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom