Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

note2001

I see people contemplating cancelling their fall trips due to the governor's announcement today. What Disney needs to do is come forth very soon and clearly tell people their plan for the upcoming months to put minds at ease.

Unfortunately, Disney has been playing it all too close to the chest and I don't think they're about to reveal any cards.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I could be wrong, but I don’t think going to phase 3 is going to make a huge difference since private businesses are still allowed to do what they want. Target, Publix, Walgreens, and many more still require masks nationwide. That won’t change by FL going to phase 3.

I live a few miles from Disney, and I eat at restaurants once or twice a week. I’ve yet to see any restaurants full or have waits (aside from the holiday weekends, but as a local, I stayed away then), even at half capacity. In fact, during lunch, my family has been the sole table in restaurants twice now (obviously some restaurants are more popular than others, which is a factor). If they’re barely filling half capacity now, I don’t expect the demand to suddenly increase just because they CAN increase capacity. Many friends of mine still refuse to eat in restaurants. They continue ordering out, and I’m sure that will stay the same for those that prefer that method.
Same with store capacity. I remember having to wait in line for a couple at the beginning of lockdown, but since then, I haven’t waited in line for stores in months. So again, if stores arent reaching their limited capacity now, I don’t think much will change if capacity increases.

As for theme parks, sure, those could be the wild cards there. But I don’t see Disney being the first one to increase capacity here - look at how cautious they were with reopening. And I don’t think Universal is in a hurry yet to increase capacity any more either, though I could be wrong. But even so - do the theme parks reach capacity that often aside from holiday weekends? I honestly don’t know, so I could be way off base here, and please correct me if I’m wrong! But if they aren’t already turning thousands of people away daily because they’ve hit their capacity limit, would increasing capacity really make a significant difference? If the demand isn’t there as it is, i don’t think it will.

Anyway, I’m not saying I’m totally right here. There could be factors I’m forgetting about or just not considering that could blow my theory out of the water. But for the most part, I think there just isn’t a pent up demand for anything right now. People who want to go out are already going out. People who don’t are already staying home, and this isn’t going to convince them to change their minds.
I think it sets a precedent that will make it more difficult for those businesses to enforce distancing and especially masks. The order makes it so there can be no fines of penalties for non-compliance with mask requirements essentially saying ”don‘t follow them if you don‘t want to”. On capacity and distancing if a restaurant chooses to keep things at 50% capacity and decides to keep tables 6 feet apart if it’s full and people are turned away or have to wait to be seated or can’t sit a large group together at 1 table there’s more of a likelihood of conflict when the governor says restaurants should be open at 100% capacity. It’s always easier for businesses to enforce good practices when they are supported by the government not in defiance of their wishes. I feel bad for the front line workers in establishments that still try to follow rules.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I see people contemplating cancelling their fall trips due to the governor's announcement today. What Disney needs to do is come forth very soon and clearly tell people their plan for the upcoming months to put minds at ease.

Unfortunately, Disney has been playing it all too close to the chest and I don't think they're about to reveal any cards.
So far they said officially that nothing changes.

Walt Disney World Communications and Walt Disney World Resort

"We received the Governor’s executive order and are evaluating it to determine what it may mean for our business. We are not making any immediate changes. As a reminder, face coverings are still required at Walt Disney World Resort.”

The fact that they had to reiterate the mask policy leads me to believe that they are concerned with an increase in people not complying since the restrictions will be lifted elsewhere.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Ole Ronny basically cancelled mine today...

Was in a holding pattern...but now there will be zero chance that their metrics will be low enough to get off our restricted list. So neither my wife nor my kids could do what they need to do when we get back.

That’s a political decision with economic consequences...I bet I’m the “rule” more than the exception on this one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think it sets a precedent that will make it more difficult for those businesses to enforce distancing and especially masks. The order makes it so there can be no fines of penalties for non-compliance with mask requirements essentially saying ”don‘t follow them if you don‘t want to”. On capacity and distancing if a restaurant chooses to keep things at 50% capacity and decides to keep tables 6 feet apart if it’s full and people are turned away or have to wait to be seated or can’t sit a large group together at 1 table there’s more of a likelihood of conflict when the governor says restaurants should be open at 100% capacity. It’s always easier for businesses to enforce good practices when they are supported by the government not in defiance of their wishes. I feel bad for the front line workers in establishments that still try to follow rules.

So far they said officially that nothing changes.

Walt Disney World Communications and Walt Disney World Resort

"We received the Governor’s executive order and are evaluating it to determine what it may mean for our business. We are not making any immediate changes. As a reminder, face coverings are still required at Walt Disney World Resort.”

The fact that they had to reiterate the mask policy leads me to believe that they are concerned with an increase in people not complying since the restrictions will be lifted elsewhere.
I’m literally going to lose my gourd the first time an instagram video goes up of a Disney employee getting spit on due to being polite and doing their job. And it’s gonna happen.

Thankfully no college program...they are not equipped to handle this scenario.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ole Ronny basically cancelled mine today...

Was in a holding pattern...but now there will be zero chance that their metrics will be low enough to get off our restricted list. So neither my wife nor my kids could do what they need to do when we get back.

That’s a political decision with economic consequences...I bet I’m the “rule” more than the exception on this one.
Based on the Governor’s response directed at Disney he’s not real happy they won’t budge on their plan. I’m sure nobody at the mouse house is happy this happened. They are still lobbying to get DLR open using WDW as exhibit A for why it’s safe. Any issues in FL won’t help that cause.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Based on the Governor’s response directed at Disney he’s not real happy they won’t budge on their plan. I’m sure nobody at the mouse house is happy this happened. They are still lobbying to get DLR open using WDW as exhibit A for why it’s safe. Any issues in FL won’t help that cause.
What in the name of hell did he think they were gonna do?

Go with it? Follow the “directives”?

He does know Iger is still in charge, right?

natatomic

Even if there are no fines anymore for not wearing masks (honestly, I didn’t know there were fines here to begin with 🤷🏻‍♀️), can a business still exercise their right to turn customers away for not wearing them (and possibly call the cops if it escalates)? There’s no law about wearing shirts and shoes in public (that I’m aware of), but businesses still refuse to serve people who have neither. And again, most of these stores have the mask mandate nationwide - it’s not just the local ordinance.
Anyway, as to your point about restaurants, I still don't know how big of an issue that will be if restaurants aren’t having long waits now as it is. Although, I freely admit my experience is anecdotal. I’ve just not had a single wait at a restaurant since they reopened. Not to say waits don’t exist at some restaurants still. But I do think they are much less common these days.

Also, just want to say, I’m not arguing with you, so I hope it doesn’t come across like I am (you know how the internet can be). Just throwing my theory out there. We’ll all see how this plays out over the next few weeks regardless!

lazyboy97o

Even if there are no fines anymore for not wearing masks (honestly, I didn’t know there were fines here to begin with 🤷🏻‍♀️), can a business still exercise their right to turn customers away for not wearing them (and possibly call the cops if it escalates)? There’s no law about wearing shirts and shoes in public (that I’m aware of), but businesses still refuse to serve people who have neither. And again, most of these stores have the mask mandate nationwide - it’s not just the local ordinance.
Anyway, as to your point about restaurants, I still don't know how big of an issue that will be if restaurants aren’t having long waits now as it is. Although, I freely admit my experience is anecdotal. I’ve just not had a single wait at a restaurant since they reopened. Not to say waits don’t exist at some restaurants still. But I do think they are much less common these days.

Also, just want to say, I’m not arguing with you, so I hope it doesn’t come across like I am (you know how the internet can be). Just throwing my theory out there. We’ll all see how this plays out over the next few weeks regardless!
My experience was that even with corporate mask rules there was little enforcement before the local mandate. Companies can say it but they also have to be willing to enforce it.

As was already seen before, you don’t need many places to create a problem. A couple of bars can become places for spread and they’re allowed to continue regardless of what happens.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
And in other "crazy" news, the FL governor has also stated he's going to create a "bill of rights" for college students, which will prevent universities from expelling them for breaking Covid protocols. Says they are too "draconian".

Clearly, we will be going downhill fast.

Expecting a college student to follow the rules is like herding cats. I have experience in both.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Valid points. I think it comes down to attitude of people who are going to be defiant. If the government publicly supports masks and distancing and other safety precautions and a restaurant or store or theme park tries to enforce them its much easier. The capacity thing won’t be an issue on a Tuesday at 3pm but on a Friday or Saturday night when the bar gets packed it’s going to be next to impossible to enforce any kind of distancing or masks. I guess thats the point though, they don’t want those restrictions in place anymore.

wendysue

I agree, and we will be watching this closely. We moved trips a couple of times this year and then canceled, but when I read that many who had gone recently felt safer than in their own hometowns, I booked a cabin at Ft. Wilderness. We don't plan on eating inside anyway, but would consider canceling if the mask mandate is lifted. :(

Chi84

Premium Member
I agree, and we will be watching this closely. We moved trips a couple of times this year and then canceled, but when I read that many who had gone recently felt safer than in their own hometowns, I booked a cabin at Ft. Wilderness. We don't plan on eating inside anyway, but would consider canceling if the mask mandate is lifted. :(
We canceled our October trip and won’t plan another until the mask mandate is gone. Disney’s walking a fine line here. It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Stitch826

We canceled our October trip and won’t plan another until the mask mandate is gone. Disney’s walking a fine line here. It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out.
As others have pointed out previously, it’s a bit of a circular argument. Disney is likely waiting to bring back parades and fireworks until business increases. Meanwhile, business won’t increase until Disney brings these things back. Something will have to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom