Need 125 Direct Points for Perks Soon?

Phonedave

Not to say we don't ever do studios (okay right now only PVB and 2 connecting) but we definitley are happier with 1 beds and above.

You are smart to buy where you are happy to stay. Another issue is those who buy and then are upset that they are stuck at cheap home resort. We nearly bought BCV but I love OKW. With the newer HH designation and cheap GVs it is great to own there.

Or anyone who wants to buy in with as little money as possible. I am not trying to sound like an elitist, but trying to make DVC accessible financially to more people did bring in cash, but really messed with the balance. Then again Aulani did as well it feels like based on timing, but could be a coincidence.

DVC went from being the best kept secret to kiosks everywhere. Sure they got money but I feel they grew too much too quick. Economic downturns will bite them but at least they stopped Reflections before it got too far.

I have the same thoughts, not elitist but DVC has really driven the "DVC on a (points) budget" mentality. Buy XX points and you have enough for a studio every other year.It really has messed with availability.

When we go as a family we get a one or two BR unit, and most of the time when my wife and I go alone for a F&W long weekend we get a 1BR. Sometimes though points get tight and we look for a studio for the weekend. They are almost impossible to find now. I'm not talking crazy stuff liek BW or BC either. Im talking about studios at SSR 11 months out.

cmwade77

I have the same thoughts, not elitist but DVC has really driven the "DVC on a (points) budget" mentality. Buy XX points and you have enough for a studio every other year.It really has messed with availability.

When we go as a family we get a one or two BR unit, and most of the time when my wife and I go alone for a F&W long weekend we get a 1BR. Sometimes though points get tight and we look for a studio for the weekend. They are almost impossible to find now. I'm not talking crazy stuff liek BW or BC either. Im talking about studios at SSR 11 months out.
We have always been able to get a studio at WDW if we are flexible about the resort at 7 months out or less, of course we can usually be flexible with dates by a few days as well and that helps. We also go during the off season, not summer, spring break, Christmas, etc.

correcaminos

Thank you for understanding. I definitely wasn't going for the elitist but how it screwed availability. We're mostly 1 and 2 bedroom people (PVB being the exception where we get connecting studios) but I know many who just don't get good choices.

We have always been able to get a studio at WDW if we are flexible about the resort at 7 months out or less, of course we can usually be flexible with dates by a few days as well and that helps. We also go during the off season, not summer, spring break, Christmas, etc.
Summer is actually usually pretty easy to book. Off season sometimes is harder than peak season. But flexibility on location and room helps. Long gone are the days when i could book a week or two in advance for a studio though. well maybe now but we'll see where all that ends.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Have now heard this rumor from many people. Next question is whether any new perks or benefits will be added to membership with this point increase.
Hmmmm...
People on another board have indicated that their guides say exciting new perks are coming soon. What’s exciting to a guide may not be exciting to all though....
Not buying that one. Show me, Missouri!

Salesman never lie 🤪
Wild speculation...
Perks that would actually be exciting:
- More significant discounts (they just announced 30% off Disney merchandise but that's only through end of October)
-Additional Moonlight Magic events
-Extra fastpasses (including the ability to purchase additional FPs, which you can currently do in a Grand Villa) -- this would be awesome, but unlikely given FPs are currently suspended, and not even sure if they will come back in the same form
-Additional on-property lounge spaces
-Discounts on regular tickets, not just annual passes

Perks that would be less than exciting:
- Adding more "concierge collection" hotels or other booking opportunities that are wasteful of points
-Further restrictions on non-Blue card members, and thereby calling it a perk if you get to keep your existing benefits
-Members only tours, that are essentially the same price and same tours as the general public events
-Some modest cruise discounts, which would really be Disney desperate to fill cruises post-Covid

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s kinda the way it’s designed...

There’s a word for set weeks, set spots, set rooms...

It’s called a “timeshare”

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Not buying that one. Show me, Missouri!

Salesman never lie 🤪
I do buy that there are new perks coming "soon". I take exception to "exciting" - everything is exciting to a sales guy - and of course soon can mean anything. I will need a new car soon, but I haven't decided if that's next week or next year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do buy that there are new perks coming "soon". I take exception to "exciting" - everything is exciting to a sales guy - and of course soon can mean anything. I will need a new car soon, but I haven't decided if that's next week or next year.
Well it really depends on what it is...

1. Is it enough to offset how high the prices are?
No...of course not.
2. They have reduced/been stingy about perks for 10 years...me thinks sales forecasts aren’t looking “too good”
Buyers market.
3. Perks need to be a tad better than more things to buy. Discounts are great...but they are just “privilege to spend more” type things.

Significant ticket discounts are something...that’s a necessary cost. Merch discounts are good...take them or leave them.

I don’t like “exclusive events”...we’re paying to reward them because they can’t handle their crowds effectively in the era of prebooking.

correcaminos

From what I gather...DVC needs to have more more studios. I also think making sure every 1 bedroom can accommodate 5 with some sort of smaller fold down bed or sleeper chair would help too.
They tried lots of studios and people co plained about PVB. It's easy to get rooms there though.

Truthfully in a lot of 1 bedrooms there is no room for the 5th in a chair. In reality they shouldn't have made studios for 5 the way they did. That also added to the problem.

correcaminos

Well it really depends on what it is...

1. Is it enough to offset how high the prices are?
No...of course not.
2. They have reduced/been stingy about perks for 10 years...me thinks sales forecasts aren’t looking “too good”
Buyers market.
3. Perks need to be a tad better than more things to buy. Discounts are great...but they are just “privilege to spend more” type things.

Significant ticket discounts are something...that’s a necessary cost. Merch discounts are good...take them or leave them.

I don’t like “exclusive events”...we’re paying to reward them because they can’t handle their crowds effectively in the era of prebooking.
The events are paid by DVD, not with our dues or are you talking paid events all are allowed to go to if they pay?

I like park ticket discounts because that's something I use DVC for. Merchandise is fine, food is good too. Extra things like FP bonus for free would be nice...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The events are paid by DVD, not with our dues or are you talking paid events all are allowed to go to if they pay?

I like park ticket discounts because that's something I use DVC for. Merchandise is fine, food is good too. Extra things like FP bonus for free would be nice...
Yes...I agree with you.

I’m not a fan or “exclusive for only $89.99” type stuff. Exclusive parties.

Phonedave

My wife is a teacher, so she gets off when the school says she gets off - so no flexibility except during the summer.

If we want to go to F&W, we basically have one choice - Jersey Week. Finding a studio is getting harder and harder for that weekend. You can't tell me that everybody who is taking a studio is like me - 2 adults going for 3 nights. There must be a load of families going for multiple nights, and using a studio. Yes, they are totally allowed to do so, but I really think DVC sales tactics has driven people toward booking studios.

Think Tink

Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
My wife is a teacher, so she gets off when the school says she gets off - so no flexibility except during the summer.

If we want to go to F&W, we basically have one choice - Jersey Week. Finding a studio is getting harder and harder for that weekend. You can't tell me that everybody who is taking a studio is like me - 2 adults going for 3 nights. There must be a load of families going for multiple nights, and using a studio. Yes, they are totally allowed to do so, but I really think DVC sales tactics has driven people toward booking studios.

yes, especially since many studios sleep 5 and some 1 bedrooms sleep 4. My husband and I are the opposite of most people, only 2 of us and we bought in hoping for one bedrooms for the full kitchen and extra space. Our guide definitely didn’t push us for more points, he was happy with just 100, we told him we wanted more.

Phonedave

yes, especially since many studios sleep 5 and some 1 bedrooms sleep 4. My husband and I are the opposite of most people, only 2 of us and we bought in hoping for one bedrooms for the full kitchen and extra space. Our guide definitely didn’t push us for more points, he was happy with just 100, we told him we wanted more.

If we are going for a week, we get a 1BR - even if it is just me and my wife.

A 1BR just makes no sense for a 3 night stay, especially during F&W when we are going FOR F&W. We are out all day every day - we book a lot of seminars and tastings. So no relaxing at the resort and no eating in the room. But, if we do a "normal" no kids trip, definitely a 1BR, and when it is the 5 of us it is a 2BR

trainplane3

This is now official:
points.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom