Need help deciding on points/resort/month

3Mouseketeers!

Original Poster
Hello!

My husband and I are looking to purchase dvc. We’d like to visit Disney with our son at least every other year. Our parents might go along with us every so often and we plan to let my sibling and his family of four use the points every other year also. They will use the points in July or August while we prefer April-May, Sept-Oct or early December. All weekly visits or at least 5 days. So, for next year if we all went, we would need at least 2 studio rooms for August and 1 studio room for December.

I know we can borrow and bank but it’s looking like only 50% can be borrowed as of now due to covid? We love the Poly but the points don’t seem to go as far for summer months. BLT and BRV are both options. Boulder Ridge seems to have the best deals but BLT is so convenient being on the monorail. Our parents prefer BLT but I hear it’s difficult to book a room there 7 months out (not being your home resort).

We were originally looking at 100 pts but you can get 175-200 at BRV for almost the same price which seems crazy. Is it better to split points (100/100) and buy at two resorts with same contract month (use year)?

Hope this makes sense, apologize for any confusion in advance! Just looking fir advice and suggestions. Feel free to ask more questions. Hoping to buy soon or early 2021.

Thanks!

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Hi! I too am buying DVC. Best advice I was given was “buy where you want to stay”. I’m buying 125 points direct at BCV as that is my favorite. But the contract length is shorter than BLT for the same price, for us though, we knew we wanted BCV and we decided it didn’t matter as much not having as long of a contract. So take a look at expiration dates too when considering where to buy.

as for if to buy at 2 different resorts, depends if you plan to borrow ahead and flip flop or enjoy split stays. If you plan on booking at the 7 month mark it may not matter as much. We are adding 25 points at Animal Kingdom because we like that resort but it’s too far away for us to want to stay a full week so it’s enough for a few nights a year in a studio.

the minimum direct point minimum is about to increase next month to 125 so be aware of that as well. My best advice is make sure you are happy with you resort choice because next year will probably be slim pickings as the 7 month mark due to the closure.

3Mouseketeers!

Original Poster
Hello!

My husband and I are looking to purchase dvc. We’d like to visit Disney with our son at least every other year. Our parents might go along with us every so often and we plan to let my sibling and his family of four use the points every other year also. They will use the points in July or August while we prefer April-May, Sept-Oct or early December. All weekly visits or at least 5 days. So, for next year if we all went, we would need at least 2 studio rooms for August and 1 studio room for December.

I know we can borrow and bank but it’s looking like only 50% can be borrowed as of now due to covid? We love the Poly but the points don’t seem to go as far for summer months. BLT and BRV are both options. Boulder Ridge seems to have the best deals but BLT is so convenient being on the monorail. Our parents prefer BLT but I hear it’s difficult to book a room there 7 months out (not being your home resort).

We were originally looking at 100 pts but you can get 175-200 at BRV for almost the same price which seems crazy. Is it better to split points (100/100) and buy at two resorts with same contract month (use year)?

Hope this makes sense, apologize for any confusion in advance! Just looking fir advice and suggestions. Feel free to ask more questions. Hoping to buy soon or early 2021.

Thanks!

Also, how are they handling covid. I suppose if we don’t feel comfortable going we can re t the points out s
Hi! I too am buying DVC. Best advice I was given was “buy where you want to stay”. I’m buying 125 points direct at BCV as that is my favorite. But the contract length is shorter than BLT for the same price, for us though, we knew we wanted BCV and we decided it didn’t matter as much not having as long of a contract. So take a look at expiration dates too when considering where to buy.

as for if to buy at 2 different resorts, depends if you plan to borrow ahead and flip flop or enjoy split stays. If you plan on booking at the 7 month mark it may not matter as much. We are adding 25 points at Animal Kingdom because we like that resort but it’s too far away for us to want to stay a full week so it’s enough for a few nights a year in a studio.

the minimum direct point minimum is about to increase next month to 125 so be aware of that as well. My best advice is make sure you are happy with you resort choice because next year will probably be slim pickings as the 7 month mark due to the closure.

3Mouseketeers!

Original Poster

Thank you! We plan to buy resale but I’m
glad to know about the new minimum if we went direct. We love BCV also! We’re thinking a monorail resort best with our little guy but BCV is awesome and that pool!

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
With COVID they are doing enhanced cleaning between guests including high touch point objects. They currently are capping borrowing at 50% for the time being due to the pandemic as well. Things like room service aren’t going, and masks are required at common areas.

nickys

Premium Member
What use year month is best to purchase if we like to travel in May, July, Sept-Oct or early December?
It’s best to have a use year of just before when you would usually want to travel, so that if you have to cancel you have as long as possible to use the points or bank them.

In your case that’s going to be slightly trickier; maybe if you get a March or April use year that would give you a reasonable chance to use or bank points (banking deadline is 4 months prior to the end of the use year). If you cancelled a December stay you’d miss that option but it would work for all the other months.

3Mouseketeers!

Original Poster
It’s best to have a use year of just before when you would usually want to travel, so that if you have to cancel you have as long as possible to use the points or bank them.

In your case that’s going to be slightly trickier; maybe if you get a March or April use year that would give you a reasonable chance to use or bank points (banking deadline is 4 months prior to the end of the use year). If you cancelled a December stay you’d miss that option but it would work for all the other months.
ok something to consider, thank you!!

Artemis Fowl

Hello!

Thanks!
I bought about a year ago at Poly after much, but apparently not enough, deliberation. I was in a similar boat to you, thinking I'd be in Disney every other year or so and bringing grandparents along with my family. We ended up buying at Poly, but I now think I'd have preferred BLT. At Bay Lake Tower, you can get rooms bigger than studios that have in unit laundry. Even if you book 3 studios at Poly, you're not getting a laundry machine which I think it really nice if you're taking 7 day trips like we do.
If you plan on traveling with extended family, choose a home resort that offers more than studios.

As for points, buy more than you think you'll need. We bought 200 and I now wish I had bought 220. Our first trip on our package is going to be a 2 BR villa and a studio with extended family. I had to rent points to complete our stay which was a bit irritating. You'll never have "too many" points. It's so much nicer to stay in a nicer room and extra points make that possible.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Value...ok I’ll give you that.

I’ll change it to “math”

100 points x 48 years (wilderness lodge part deux) = 4,800 points

100 points x 22 years (beach club) = 2,200 points.

I can put that in a chart too 👍🏻
True, but there are people that will still see value in that, to ensure the 11 month booking window. BR and CC are 2 of the hardest to get at 7 months.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Value...ok I’ll give you that.

I’ll change it to “math”

100 points x 48 years (wilderness lodge part deux) = 4,800 points

100 points x 22 years (beach club) = 2,200 points.

I can put that in a chart too 👍🏻
It’s funny because I agree with you and still bought in a BCV. I knew it was a much worse value than AKV, where I also bought, but it’s my favorite resort and I wanted the priority booking for it. That math doesn’t work, but the heart wants what it wants. :hilarious:

True, but there are people that will still see value in that, to ensure the 11 month booking window. BR and CC are 2 of the hardest to get at 7 months.
Yeah, I bought at BCV because I heard how difficult it is to find a room there at 7 months during F&W which is my favorite time to go. Value can mean many things! :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s funny because I agree with you and still bought in a BCV. I knew it was a much worse value than AKV, where I also bought, but it’s my favorite resort and I wanted the priority booking for it. That math doesn’t work, but the heart wants what it wants. :hilarious:

Yeah, I bought at BCV because I heard how difficult it is to find a room there at 7 months during F&W which is my favorite time to go. Value can mean many things! :)
...and that’s 100% A-ok with me...as long as you did it with that clear perspective.

It’s not about your individual buy...I’m glad you got what you wanted...it’s that we should question all of Disney’s prices. They divide and conquer and that affects everyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom