A sequel? Nah, not this one

The Visionary Soul

Since some of you were wondering what is on the table and what isn't, here's the latest update from a friend. Take it with a grain of salt, but this particular source has been mostly accurate in the past.

Status of Active Projects

DL:

Tomorrowland Redo - Infinitely Delayed
Runaway Railway - No changes, timeline delayed by 5 months
Galaxy's Edge Interactive Phase II - Infinitely Delayed.. enjoy that Sims game in the meantime
Splash Mountain re-theme to Princess and the Frog - timeline delayed by 8 months
DCA:
Marvel - All still happening, just timeline delayed by 8 months
WoC - New Enhancements are cancelled
Hollywood Backlot Phase 3 - Infinitely Delayed
DLH:
DVC Expansion - still moving forward, just timeline delayed by 8 months
Frontier Tower refurb - Timeline accelerated by 6 months
Paradise Pier:
Refurbishment / re-imagineering delayed, no ETA
MK:
TRON - No changes, timeline delayed by 5 months
Stitch Replacement - Infinitely Delayed
Splash Mountain Redo - The Princess and the Frog theme was rejected by OLC. Since WDW's redo was dependent on this, if the OLC decides an alternate theme is more appropriate, that will be what Florida gets. This project is infinitely delayed.
Epcot:
Guardians - No changes, timeline delayed by 5 months
Poppins - Cancelled
Space Restaurant - Interior 99% Complete, waiting for staffing and approvals, 3rd party
Play - Value Engineered - timeline delayed by 5 months
Event Platform Space and Biergarden - Cancelled, but replacement project in works. No timeline.
Wakanda - Infinitely Delayed, then talked about again recently. Not sure on status now
Brazil - Infinitely Delayed
Coco- Value Engineered, timeline delayed - unknown ETA
Moana - Major changes planned
Mouse Gear - timeline delayed by 4 months
Central Plaza - timeline accelerated by 1 month
Entrance Plaza - LOOK, PYLONS!
SSE - Infinitely Delayed
Ratatouille - No changes, timeline delayed by 8 months
HS:
Galaxy's Edge Interactive Phase II - Infinitely Delayed.. enjoy that Sims game in the meantime
Rapunzel Show - Major changes, Infinitely Delayed
Toy Story Restaurant- Value Engineered, timeline delayed by 8 months
Star Wars Hotel - No changes, timeline delayed by 5 months
AK:
Indy Project - Cancelled
Pandora Expansion - Infinitely Delayed
Planet Watch Reversion to Conservation Station - Infinitely Delayed
Club 33 - 99% complete, waiting for final approvals
Zootopia - NEVER WAS A THING, STOP THINKING IT BELONGS IN AK, IT DOESN'T
Polynesian:
Moana Theme - Value Engineered to be a slight update
Reflections:
Hotel is Cancelled, new project with take its place in the future
Shanghai Disney:
Zootopia - Still moving forward and on-time
Replacement for Tarzan - Infinitely delayed
Toy Story Mania - Infinitely delayed
Tokyo Disney:
Splash Mountain Redo - The Princess and the Frog theme was rejected by OLC. Since WDW's redo was dependent on this, if the OLC decides an alternate theme is more appropriate, that will be what Florida gets. This project is infinitely delayed.
No changes to other projects in Tokyo Disney.
HKDL:
RIP (Half-joking here but... )

Hope that helps. If anyone can confirm or deny anything on this list, or if you just want to talk about what these projects are, PM me.

Brer Panther

This is the first I'm hearing about some of these things... a Tomorrowland redo for Disneyland, second phases for Galaxy's Edge, a Phase 3 for Hollywood Backlot, a Rapunzel show, a Pandora Expansion...

I thought OLC rejected a retheme of Splash Mountain altogether. Either way, fingers crossed this means the Magic Kingdom's will remain as is.

The Visionary Soul

This is the first I'm hearing about some of these things... a Tomorrowland redo for Disneyland, second phases for Galaxy's Edge, a Phase 3 for Hollywood Backlot, a Rapunzel show, a Pandora Expansion...

I thought OLC rejected a retheme of Splash Mountain altogether. Either way, fingers crossed this means the Magic Kingdom's will remain as is.
They did, but the optics of keeping anything related to Song of the South is not something that works for TWDC. The removal of anything related to Song of the South seems to be a direct edict by Iger, a sort of political move on his part. Initially the company wanted OLC to pay for the entire re-design, but OLC said no specially because... how to put this... the Japanese don't like Tiana and the ride is fine as it is. So, the OLC is forcing Disney's hand for once. Basically, OLC says that if you want Song of the South gone from TDL, TWDC will have to pay for it and it won't be Princess and the Frog. So now they're in some sort of negotiations. From what I understand anyway. I have a feeling this will fall apart entirely at worst (or best, if you're on team keep Splash Mountain as it is) or it will evolve into some other IP replacing the ride at best (or worst).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Since some of you were wondering what is on the table and what isn't, here's the latest update from a friend. Take it with a grain of salt, but this particular source has been mostly accurate in the past.

DL:

Splash Mountain re-theme to Princess and the Frog - timeline delayed by 8 months
DCA:
DLH:
Paradise Pier:
MK:
Epcot:
Poppins - Cancelled
Space Restaurant - Interior 99% Complete, waiting for staffing and approvals, 3rd party
Event Platform Space and Biergarden - Cancelled, but replacement project in works. No timeline.
Wakanda - Infinitely Delayed, then talked about again recently. Not sure on status now
SSE - Infinitely Delayed
HS:
AK:
Indy Project - Cancelled
Polynesian:
Reflections:
Shanghai Disney:
Tokyo Disney:
HKDL:

Hope that helps. If anyone can confirm or deny anything on this list, or if you just want to talk about what these projects are, PM me.

Thanks!

Whenever you say "infinitely delayed" do you mean "indefinitely delayed" or "never gonna happen"?

Have you heard about the status of...

MK
  • New night/electric parade (or borrowing some other park's parade)?
  • Rumored new resort between Grand Floridian and MK (such that they would use the new walkway)?
  • Tomorrowland Re-do... at MK they're still working on architectural elements attached to the PeopleMover... was there more?

Epcot
  • Wakanda for Epcot is a new one. None of our other insiders have said it was even considered AFAIK.
  • Coco: There were indications that it was once on the table with the Mexico pavilion being highlighted as part of the Epcot Experience model, but, it never made it to the announcement of the reimagined Epcot. So... it seems it was already indefinitely delayed by not being announced, just FYI.
  • SSE: Martin said the update was likely in the beginning of 2021... So, is this a new pushing off of that update?

Brer Panther

The removal of anything related to Song of the South seems to be a direct edict by Iger, a sort of political move on his part.
Suspected as much. Iger's supposed to leave in 2021, right? So we just have to hope for them to keep postponing this until he leaves, assuming he doesn't extend his contract again?

Also, I'm genuinely curious... if Bob Iger wants to pretend that Song of the South didn't happen so much, why didn't he order the Splash Mountains rethemed earlier? It's not like The Princess and the Frog was just released this year.

RSoxNo1

DL:

DCA:
DLH:
Paradise Pier:
MK:
Epcot:
Poppins - Cancelled
SSE - Infinitely Delayed
HS:
AK:
Indy Project - Cancelled
Polynesian:
Reflections:
Shanghai Disney:
Tokyo Disney:
HKDL:

Do you mean indefinitely not infinitely?

The Visionary Soul

Okay, so...
Whenever you say "infinitely delayed" do you mean "indefinitely delayed" or "never gonna happen"?
indefinitely delayed! At least that's what I think my friend meant. Not my list!
New night/electric parade (or borrowing some other park's parade)?
Friend isn't in entertainment, but I've heard this rumor before. It's very likely that Paint the Night will end up in Florida for October 2021. Expect the 2021 marketing to not just be about WDW's 50th, but a re-launch as a "Hey! We're open, and it's safe to come again!" Believe it or not, this plan assumes that masks will not be required by then and that Trump wins re-election. (I'm not joking)
Rumored new resort between Grand Floridian and MK (such that they would use the new walkway)?
Nothing mentioned on that. I think that new walkway is just being used to increase the value of the Grand for now.
Tomorrowland Re-do... at MK they're still working on architectural elements attached to the PeopleMover... was there more?
Oh, there was a ton more. So much more. It's heartbreaking to know what it could have been. What you're seeing now is cleaning up to prepare for an indefinite hold on a project that may or may never happen.
Wakanda for Epcot is a new one. None of our other insiders have said it was even considered AFAIK.
Oh, it's definitely a real project, and definitely in World Showcase, but now that the lead actor is dead, who knows what or if this will ever be.
Coco: There were indications that it was once on the table with the Mexico pavilion being highlighted as part of the Epcot Experience model, but, it never made it to the announcement of the reimagined Epcot. So... it seems it was already indefinitely delayed by not being announced, just FYI.
Yeah, that's fair enough.
SSE: Martin said the update was likely in the beginning of 2021... So, is this a new pushing off of that update?
I'm not really sure. Sorry, it's not my list.

The Visionary Soul

Suspected as much. Iger's supposed to leave in 2021, right? So we just have to hope for them to keep postponing this until he leaves, assuming he doesn't extend his contract again?

Also, I'm genuinely curious... if Bob Iger wants to pretend that Song of the South didn't happen so much, why didn't he order the Splash Mountains rethemed earlier? It's not like The Princess and the Frog was just released this year.
I think Iger thinks he has a shot at 2024. This is political.

DreamfinderGuy

Epcot:
I'm no insider or anything but none of this seems to add up. Egg cancelled, Moana radically altered, New MouseGear delayed by 4 months, yet the whole Central Plaza project is being bumped a month ahead of schedule? What?

The Visionary Soul

I'm no insider or anything but none of this seems to add up. Egg cancelled, Moana radically altered, New MouseGear delayed by 4 months, yet the whole Central Plaza project is being bumped a month ahead of schedule? What?
I asked about that too. I guess if you don't build a massive towering platform above the central plaza, I guess it stands to reason that you don't need as long to complete that area.

DreamfinderGuy

I asked about that too. I guess if you don't build a massive towering platform above the central plaza, I guess it stands to reason that you don't need as long to complete that area.
But, a month? Do they really expect the Festival Center replacement to take just one month less than the original plans to build? Seems to me like they could have that whole central plaza up and running again by EPCOT 40 easily.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

So, a guess on my part is that this is to reduce the hub fencing to only cordon off the new festival center building (the re-imagined toadstool) and wherever Journey of Water winds up (it needs to be moved if they're not tearing down Innoventions NW). This allows access to the central hub as a walk-thru and access to new Mouse Gears and EU.

Homemade Imagineering

DL:

DCA:
DLH:
Paradise Pier:
MK:
Epcot:
Poppins - Cancelled
SSE - Infinitely Delayed
HS:
AK:
Indy Project - Cancelled
Polynesian:
Reflections:
Shanghai Disney:
Tokyo Disney:
HKDL:

What’s going on with imagination? I know it has been a while since any inside information/rumors on it were provided to us, but wasn’t it part of the phase that coco was in, or at least projected to be underway around the same time as coco?

DreamfinderGuy

So, a guess on my part is that this is to reduce the hub fencing to only cordon off the new festival center building (the re-imagined toadstool) and wherever Journey of Water winds up (it needs to be moved if they're not tearing down Innoventions NW). This allows access to the central hub as a walk-thru and access to new Mouse Gears and EU.
Honestly, couldn't they do that right now if need be? There's been no major changes to the plaza itself (other than Pin Central's removal and whacking some trees down) since it was fully blocked off. Reinstall the walls that were there before, potentially block off the East breezeway if MouseGear's holes are going to cause issues, and you have a somewhat functional plaza again.

Homemade Imagineering

Oh, god, he wants to extend his contract AGAIN? What do we have to do to get rid of this guy?

I'm no insider, but if I had to guess, I'd say nothing.
My best guess as well unfortunately. I was honestly just curious though because it seemed as if it was as likely to happen as something like the Coco retheme to Grand Fiesta Tour.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Honestly, couldn't they do that right now if need be? There's been no major changes to the plaza itself (other than Pin Central's removal and whacking some trees down) since it was fully blocked off. Reinstall the walls that were there before, potentially block off the East breezeway if MouseGear's holes are going to cause issues, and you have a somewhat functional plaza again.

The plaza concrete flooring is half ripped up right now. I can see that only taking a month to fix to open it up to foot traffic.

DreamfinderGuy

The plaza concrete flooring is half ripped up right now. I can see that only taking a month to fix to open it up to foot traffic.
It is? I thought recent aerials have shown there's been zero work done to the concrete itself. The only patches of dirt are over by the SW quadrant and the Fountain of Nations' oval imprint, both of which have been behind walls for a year now anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom