All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Phroobar

The lower lot before Jurassic Park.

universal_studios_ext_1.jpg

Phroobar

The ET ride was great. Universal has a bad habit of replacing great rides with much weaker attractions. By the time they put in the mummy ride, did anyone even care about the mummy anymore?
The ride opened in 2004. The Mummy was in 1999 while the Mummy 2 was 2002 and Mummy 3 was 2009 so it was current stuff. Besides, is that any worse than Disney retheming Splash Mountain to a Princess and the Frog that came out in 2009 and no one cares about anymore or building an entire land & two rides around Avatar that came out in 2009!

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
The ride opened in 2004. The Mummy was in 1999 while the Mummy 2 was 2002 and Mummy 3 was 2009 so it was current stuff. Besides, is that any worse than Disney retheming Splash Mountain to a Princess and the Frog that came out in 2009 and no one cares about anymore or building an entire land & two rides around Avatar that came out in 2009!

I will say, the avatar sequels are on their way, but that’s been the case for 10 years lol at least they’re actually filming the second film

Tamandua

They replaced Back to the Future with a reskin based on the Simpsons, which is from the same time period. Granted the Simpsons is still on, but is it still that popular? I haven't seen it in probably 15 years. Back to the future is still very popular. BTTF for the Simpsons seems like a huge trade down to me, just like ET for the Mummy.

For the record, I think the Splash Mountain retheme is a bad idea. Never been to avatar land or seen the movie. I don't think the age of the ip matters as much as the popularity. I think ET is more timeless than the mummy. PatF seems like one of the less popular Disney movies to me. I'll never understand why they had to take a ride designed for BTTF and shoehorn the Simpsons into it. Every time I walk by the Simpsons ride I think of how unfortunate it is that it replaced BTTF.

Phroobar

I will say, the avatar sequels are on their way, but that’s been the case for 10 years lol at least they’re actually filming the second film
No one cared about Avatar for ten years. There has been no merchandise and nothing to keep it in people's mind. The only reason it made a ton of money was because it was unique at the time. The CG was mostly great and it was in 3D. It started the 3D craze that has since died out again. The movie is still Pocahontas in Space. The new movies are going to have to start over gaining an audience. I think they will do fine but be considered failures because they won't break box office records.

Last edited:

Phroobar

They replaced Back to the Future with a reskin based on the Simpsons, which is from the same time period. Granted the Simpsons is still on, but is it still that popular? I haven't seen it in probably 15 years. Back to the future is still very popular. BTTF for the Simpsons seems like a huge trade down to me, just like ET for the Mummy.

For the record, I think the Splash Mountain retheme is a bad idea. Never been to avatar land or seen the movie. I don't think the age of the ip matters as much as the popularity. I think ET is more timeless than the mummy. PatF seems like one of the less popular Disney movies to me. I'll never understand why they had to take a ride designed for BTTF and shoehorn the Simpsons into it. Every time I walk by the Simpsons ride I think of how unfortunate it is that it replaced BTTF.
I don't think either BTTF or the Simpsons is relative anymore to most people. We are talking about 80's franchise vs a 90's franchise.

However, The Simpsons had 29 new episodes in season 31 last year so someone is still watching it enough for Fox to order such a large number of episodes. This year Disney moved the Simpsons to Disney+ and even made a Simpsons short before Pixar's Onward. Disney is going to milk the Simpsons for every penny and destroy it just like Star Wars.

BTTF had a brief uptick in 2015 because of the year but nothing since.

truecoat

No one cared about Avatar for ten years. There has been no merchandise and nothing to keep it in people's mind. The only reason it made a ton of money was because it was unique at the time. The CG was mostly great and it was in 3D. It started the 3D craze that has since died out again. The movie is still Pocahontas in Space. The new movies are going to have to start over gaining an audience. I think they will do fine but be considered failures because they won't break box office records.

Yeah, Cameron has a terrible sequel record.

DisneyEthan

To be fair, Simpsons is consistently top 3 in the trending section on Disney Plus

Tamandua

To be fair, Simpsons is consistently top 3 in the trending section on Disney Plus
I tried watching one of the recent seasons on Disney+ and it was so bad that I gave up. I loved it up through at least 2001, but even though it's still in production it feels like it hasn't aged well. I would imagine it's the older episodes that are getting the most play.

Phroobar

I tried watching one of the recent seasons on Disney+ and it was so bad that I gave up. I loved it up through at least 2001, but even though it's still in production it feels like it hasn't aged well. I would imagine it's the older episodes that are getting the most play.
Any show that has had hundreds of episodes must have some stinkers. Look at some of the earlier episodes of Star Trek TNG. They were pretty awful especially the Beverly Crusher romance with a space ghost one. Most current sitcoms have only a handful of good episodes per season.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Any show that has had hundreds of episodes must have some stinkers. Look at some of the earlier episodes of Star Trek TNG. They were pretty awful especially the Beverly Crusher romance with a space ghost one. Most current sitcoms have only a handful of good episodes per season.
And Star Trek: Discovery ends up on the main CBS Network schedule this fall, for those who missed it on All Access.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Sorry, my inner Trek nerd is screaming here. :D

Sub Rosa was one of the last eps of TNG, not one of the first. I have a weird love/hate relationship with it as I actually really secretly like the episode (and always enjoy Duncan Regehr) as it's probably one of my top two or three fave Beverly episodes as it just allowed a focus on her (although still all about her in relation to a love interest sadly), but it's such a huge Anne Rice "Witching Hour" wannabe that it irritates me. Especially since I LOVE "Witching Hour".

We now return you to your regularly scheduled non-Trek post. :)

Phroobar

Sorry, my inner Trek nerd is screaming here. :D

Sub Rosa was one of the last eps of TNG, not one of the first. I have a weird love/hate relationship with it as I actually really secretly like the episode (and always enjoy Duncan Regehr) as it's probably one of my top two or three fave Beverly episodes as it just allowed a focus on her (although still all about her in relation to a love interest sadly), but it's such a huge Anne Rice "Witching Hour" wannabe that it irritates me. Especially since I LOVE "Witching Hour".

We now return you to your regularly scheduled non-Trek post. :)
Are you kidding? That was like an episode of Fantasy Island.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom