Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

I'm not sure why it would matter. They ran x number of tests on x day and x number were negative with x number positive. If the person tested negative the day before they could test positive today.

Unless you want to use the numbers for something else like deciding when to open schools.
Maybe use another metric?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Illinois has had mandatory masks since May 1 and our cases are going up now - from a 2.6 positivity rate to 4.1. I think it’s because people are not staying home as much anymore and are not social distancing the way they were. Masks can only do so much.

I’m all for wearing masks or anything else that helps curb this virus. But according to the CDC the virus is primarily spread by close indoor contact for 15 minutes or more. If people are socializing more, it’s going to have a much greater impact than someone walking by you in Home Depot without a mask.
If Florida’s positivity rate went from 2.6 to 4.1 most of the people here would be doing backflips in celebration. Positivity under 5% is still pretty good. Seems to me like more evidence masks combined with social distancing work.

Jrb1979

I'm not sure why it would matter. They ran x number of tests on x day and x number were negative with x number positive. If the person tested negative the day before they could test positive today.

Unless you want to use the numbers for something else.
It does matter. As stated in the article.

For example, a woman said she has been tested seven times. She tested positive three times and negative four times.
Which means she counted in the system as one positive case and four negatives. And when you count multiple negatives, it dilutes the positivity rate.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out -

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 10.42.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 10.43.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 10.43.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 10.46.06 AM.png

The Mom

Premium Member
I am really tired of the same few people arguing back and forth - an argument that cannot be won or lost until this ends - whenever that may be, and however we get there. The same people who are against wearing masks, social distancing, etc. present the same arguments - over and over. The same people who argue that masks, social distancing, keeping things closed - or re- closing things - in order to end this keep presenting the same arguments over and over. I suggest that people link to reputable, current news stories with civil discussion, so that others can read items and make up their own minds without having to wade through the constant bickering.

It is fine to present your point of view. It is not fine to keep arguing and making insulting comments about others who do not share your point of view.

This is the only warning people will get before their posting privileges in this thread are suspended.

schuelma

Probably a bit too early, but positivity rate does appear to be declining. Good news. Anyone have latest rate for Orange County?

The Mom

Premium Member
Probably a bit too early, but positivity rate does appear to be declining. Good news. Anyone have latest rate for Orange County?

This allows you to compare counties, and I find the health metric area to be helpful - it lists the number of people going to ERs for Covid like symptoms. It is a bit concerning that Orange County is doing better than Osceola, since WDW spans both.

It also shows you where the state hot spots are located. It appears that there are many reasons for different areas becoming hot spots, so saying if you just do - whatever - statewide, cases will drop. It seems to be more complicated than that. What caused an increase in Dade county may not be the same thing that caused an increase in Columbia County or Hendry County.

Last edited:

Mark52479

These are the numbers for Orange County -
View attachment 491267
For it's population size, Orange County has really been doing well all along.

Today's numbers are encouraging again.

Miami with it's lowest amount of cases in weeks.

Broward and Palm Beach cases continue to decline.

Statewide not a lot of testing yesterday and positivity rate still in 7% range.

Jwink

What I don’t understand is:

let’s say this is definitely the turning point for Florida ... which it looks like it could be...

why in the actual bleep are we opening schools? If we waited and continued to implement masks... we could really get ahead of this.

opening schools seems like a really really bad idea

GoofGoof

Premium Member

let’s say this is definitely the turning point for Florida ... which it looks like it could be...

why in the actual bleep are we opening schools? If we waited and continued to implement masks... we could really get ahead of this.

The school thing is tough. If they delay a month maybe the percent positive is back below 5% and there’s a better chance of success, but who knows. Where I live the percent positive has been below 5% since June and they still decided to open schools virtual until November. The problem with schools is coming up with a plan for testing and quarantine. If they can ramp up these new saliva tests maybe they could test everyone in schools once a week at least. That would lead to quicker identification of positive kids and less spread. Maybe they can even do these as pool tests. Combine all the samples from each classroom into one test and if the pool is negative that class is good. Any pool that tests positive you then go down to the individual level and find out who is sick. I think that works well at the elementary school level where kids don’t change classrooms as much but in High School everyone mixes with everyone. It’s a lot harder to isolate smaller groups.

Jwink

The school thing is tough. If they delay a month maybe the percent positive is back below 5% and there’s a better chance of success, but who knows. Where I live the percent positive has been below 5% since June and they still decided to open schools virtual until November. The problem with schools is coming up with a plan for testing and quarantine. If they can ramp up these new saliva tests maybe they could test everyone in schools once a week at least. That would lead to quicker identification of positive kids and less spread. Maybe they can even do these as pool tests. Combine all the samples from each classroom into one test and if the pool is negative that class is good. Any pool that tests positive you then go down to the individual level and find out who is sick. I think that works well at the elementary school level where kids don’t change classrooms as much but in High School everyone mixes with everyone. It’s a lot harder to isolate smaller groups.
I’m in Florida... the plan will come about 3 months later 🤦🏼‍♀️

Touchdown

6418E5FB-A327-481E-BF83-03843B296106.jpeg

That 9.6% average was one day, and we seem to be starting to trend in the right direction with new cases decreasing, and hospitalization being essentially steady. However our total testing numbers are down so that may be skewing numbers. What is changing is the demographics of what area of the state are getting affected, up until July Milwaukee County accounted for >50% of the cases state wide, and other populated counties had outbreaks (Dane, Brown, Racine, Kenosha.). Numbers are now much more spread out as you can see in this map:

15FBCB48-0CDD-47BA-B242-067E27B2B0D4.jpeg

Don’t get me wrong, I fear the fall too, but if you were to ask me right now how I view Wisconsin’s Covid fortunes for the next two weeks I would have to state I’m currently cautiously optimistic, especially with the mask requirement in place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin_W

We just got back from a trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone. It was interesting to see attitudes in a different part of the country (though most of the people we saw were tourists). Teton county has a mask mandate and we saw nearly 100% compliance. Up in West Yellowstone, not nearly as much. We got takeout from a restaurant and when my wife went in to get the food, tables were crammed together and at least half of servers/bartender not even wearing a mask (that seemed common at the restaurants we passed). We went to the West Yellowstone Rodeo and though they had signs reminding you of 6' distancing, no attempt to enforce it was made and I think I saw 1 mast in the stands and none of the contestants/crew. Outside of Teton county, cases have been very rare in Wyoming so I suppose that leads to a lower level of concern.

Lilofan

I would like to add if colleges in FL open how will the schools address the large lecture halls the freshman go to? These classes can be attended by at least 100 students.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I would like to add if colleges in FL open how will the schools address the large lecture halls the freshman go to? These classes can be attended by at least 100 students.
Not sure about in FL, but a lot of college plans I have seen are not doing live lectures in large lecture halls like that. They will be virtual where the students just watch a stream of the lecture. Since there is usually very little interaction between professors and students in that setting it’s no big loss. Smaller classes where there’s more interaction between professor and students would still be live but with masks and as much distancing as possible in the classroom. I think in FL they can require masks for all students. Not sure if that has been spelled out at the schools though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom