On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Tom P.

This is absolutely the truth.

To expand: not only is it advantageous for business to close offices...it’s going to be advantageous for schools to try that as well. I mean colleges. The studies have shown Brick and mortar campuses will become insolvent completely by the next decade. Tuition will hit a ceiling and the bills can’t be paidz

Heck...the only reason college kids are going back right now is that they didn’t have enough time to charge tuition on remote without give backs.

In the future...we will “work” privately and have to have structure gatherings for social interaction.

Star Trek...basically
I am the IT Director for a small, for-profit career college. Now, granted, we are very different from a major university. In fact, that's our niche. Offering something for people who either don't want the traditional college path or, quite frankly, can't cut it there.

Right now, we are offering 95% of our classes in a live virtual format. Classes still meet live, but do it via Google Meet or Zoom. I think we have adapted pretty well to the challenge, and I think most of our students have as well.

However, that is definitely not something we will continue long-term. If COVID-19 numbers get under control, if we get a vaccine and/or effective therapeutics, we will definitely be back in the classroom. Our demographic of student has a much harder time doing the virtual classes, even though they are still live and interactive, than traditional, in-person instruction.

All that is to say that while, yes, I think we're going to see a long-term move to more online educational delivery, there is still a place for brick-and-mortar schools that I don't think can be effectively replaced long-term with online options.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thankfully, those states aren’t locking down. Weirdly their hospital data and case data are falling off a cliff, all the while their deaths have never even sniffed the northeast levels. I’ll let you decide what that means.
Deaths are up...cases are about flat...

Which cherry picked “Ron Don Was right!!” Stat are we using this week?

You need a tee time, man...I’ll buy. How about baltusrol?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am the IT Director for a small, for-profit career college. Now, granted, we are very different from a major university. In fact, that's our niche. Offering something for people who either don't want the traditional college path or, quite frankly, can't cut it there.

Right now, we are offering 95% of our classes in a live virtual format. Classes still meet live, but do it via Google Meet or Zoom. I think we have adapted pretty well to the challenge, and I think most of our students have as well.

However, that is definitely not something we will continue long-term. If COVID-19 numbers get under control, if we get a vaccine and/or effective therapeutics, we will definitely be back in the classroom. Our demographic of student has a much harder time doing the virtual classes, even though they are still live and interactive, than traditional, in-person instruction.

All that is to say that while, yes, I think we're going to see a long-term move to more online educational delivery, there is still a place for brick-and-mortar schools that I don't think can be effectively replaced long-term with online options.
Excellent post. Good insight.

And let me clarify...I’m talking about the large universities...behemoths that have dozens of buildings, tens of thousands of boarders and bloated degree departments with no direction.

I went to one with 250 degree programs...and even then they had a crush. 300% Tuition increases already (not THAT long) and heading up. And it’s still considered a “value”

But it’s unsustainable.

Sir_Cliff

With regard to anecdotal Disney support, several DVC members in our area might go to Disney if restrictions were lifted, but I'm surprised at how COVID shy people are. The general assumption seems to be "the world will kill you." I wouldn't be surprised if there is some shell-shock going on in NJ, which makes me think travel will take awhile to come back - vaccine awhile.
I think it's more that people are now more used to calculating risks. While it's most likely you won't get it in either circumstance, it's one thing if you get COVID going to the supermarket but another thing entirely if you get it because you decided to fly to Florida to ride Space Mountain. I suspect a lot of people would even feel embarrassed if they got COVID from a Disney World vacation... and also not so great from the COVID!

I think most people wouldn't consider a WDW vacation remotely worth it from any angle right now.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can't speak to the bankruptcies, but it's possible (likely) to buy quite a nice home for $500,000 or less in much of the state. Spitting distance of NY or on the shore? Perhaps not, but where I live in Monmouth County ( a wealthy county), $500k is not getting you a fixer upper but a decent home.

For the reverse, $600k or so will get you my step-mother's 1959 double split level, which you will then raze and replace with a McMansion. But you'll be 20 minutes closer to the water and on a train line for NYC so no need to take the bus. :)

With regard to anecdotal Disney support, several DVC members in our area might go to Disney if restrictions were lifted, but I'm surprised at how COVID shy people are. The general assumption seems to be "the world will kill you." I wouldn't be surprised if there is some shell-shock going on in NJ, which makes me think travel will take awhile to come back - vaccine awhile.
I’m seeing the same...and your county is a big client of mine.

They aren’t real gung ho on their DVC in Colts Neck or Middletown these days 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think it's more that people are now more used to calculating risks. While it's most likely you won't get it in either circumstance, it's one thing if you get COVID going to the supermarket but another thing entirely if you get it because you decided to fly to Florida to ride Space Mountain. I suspect a lot of people would feel embarrassed if they got COVID from a Disney World vacation... and also not so great from the COVID!

I think most people wouldn't consider a WDW vacation remotely worth it from any angle right now.
This...

I think it’s not worth If from a hassle/logistics angle now...
...then for others it won’t be worth it financially.

Disney is standing in the path of a Dutch door on this one.

UNCgolf

Thankfully, those states aren’t locking down. Weirdly their hospital data and case data are falling off a cliff, all the while their deaths have never even sniffed the northeast levels. I’ll let you decide what that means.

What alternate reality are you living in where Florida's numbers are currently looking good? Can I teleport there as well?

The reason things were so bad in the northeast (and are pretty bad in parts of California) is because the population density is much higher. It's pretty simple.

UNCgolf

Excellent post. Good insight.

And let me clarify...I’m talking about the large universities...behemoths that have dozens of buildings, tens of thousands of boarders and bloated degree departments with no direction.

I went to one with 250 degree programs...and even then they had a crush. 300% Tuition increases already (not THAT long) and heading up. And it’s still considered a “value”

But it’s unsustainable.

I think the problem is the sheer number of universities, especially the huge ones that you mentioned which (accurately or not) are not considered elite. I don't think larger schools like North Carolina, Michigan, Virginia, UCLA, etc. need to be concerned because degrees from there are still highly valued in multiple ways.

There really aren't any huge private schools (that I'm aware of) and they mostly have gigantic endowments, so I don't think any of them have to worry.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
What alternate reality are you living in where Florida's numbers are currently looking good? Can I teleport there as well?

The reason things were so bad in the northeast (and are pretty bad in parts of California) is because the population density is much higher. It's pretty simple.
👌🏻

Touchdown

Also, we have learned a lot about Covid in the last 6 months and because of that mortality has greatly improved, we should never get to New York numbers again. Florida is currently the 17th worst state in deaths when adjusted for population, but with its death recordings occurring at over 100 per day will likely continue to climb in that ranking. Beating New York is not a victory for Florida, they used to be one of the best states for mortality (top ten) until this spike. It’s not a good look.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

As a lecturer at a university in The Netherlands, I have the same impression.

After years of pressure in higher education to move toward online delivery, I think the current pandemic has actually reinforced the value of having physical lectures and tutorials for both students and administrators. On the one hand, online delivery entails far more and less efficient work for staff and students. On the other, I think/hope there is a greater appreciation of the mental health benefits of having to be in a particular place at a particular time surrounded by fellow human beings. Indeed, at our university a lot of the energy in planning for the next semester is going toward trying to figure out how to deal with first year students feeling adrift with so few opportunities to be anywhere near the campus or meet their peers face to face.

I know this is a bit different considering it's in The Netherlands where most of the higher education is public and less profit-driven. We're also in the midst of a rapid resurgence of COVID which (as far as I can tell) is going to preclude any on campus teaching this semester. However, my impression from US colleagues is that the general lessons are the same.

pheneix

Original Poster
Has this article gotten any buzz on here?

Some gold quotes:

Besides scrapping the networks, he shut down a musical version of the animated film “Frozen” that opened with much fanfare on Broadway two years ago, closed a chain of English-language schools in China, and scaled back a $1 billion resort-technology project that has largely been replaced by a simple mobile-phone app.

“He’s going to be looking in every corner where they can save money,” said Dave Heger, an analyst who follows the company at Edward Jones and recommends buying Disney stock. “Considering what Disney is dealing with, he’s the right guy to have at the wheel.”

And my favorite:

“But Chapek is beginning to get out from beneath Iger’s shadow. The ex-CEO wasn’t even on Disney’s last earnings call with analysts -- a surprise to some who expected Iger to keep a tight hold on the company.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom