The CGI Paradigm Shift

Cmdr_Crimson

This reminds me of the time they were going to use the character Aki Ross Voiced by Ming-Na Wen (Mulan) from Final Fantasy the Spirits Within and was going to be used in a multitude of films using virtual actors in the early 2000's..But, since the film tanked they scrapped the whole idea...But, it least gives us this...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Couldn't find where Gunn says the film sequences for Cosmic Rewind are done, but, he did say he's currently working on it... which could mean a bunch of things...

1596514419774.png

FettFan

This reminds me of the time they were going to use the character Aki Ross Voiced by Ming-Na Wen (Mulan) from Final Fantasy the Spirits Within and was going to be used in a multitude of films using virtual actors in the early 2000's..But, since the film tanked they scrapped the whole idea...But, it least gives us this...

I remember that. “OMG THEYRE GOING TO REPLACE ACTORS!”

Me: “Then who will they hire to actually voice the characters?” 😂

Ravenclaw78

I remember that. “OMG THEYRE GOING TO REPLACE ACTORS!”

Me: “Then who will they hire to actually voice the characters?” 😂
You jest, but voice actors are a dime a dozen. Pay a few headliners to phone in their lines at a reduced rate so you can use their names in ads, and then hire a handful of generic voice actors for peanuts to play all the other characters.

FettFan

You jest, but voice actors are a dime a dozen. Pay a few headliners to phone in their lines at a reduced rate so you can use their names in ads, and then hire a handful of generic voice actors for peanuts to play all the other characters.

Not quite. You'd be surprised of the number of "a-list" voice actors (Dee Bradley Baker, Fred Tatasciore, Tara Strong, etc.) who wind up being credited as "Additional Voices" or "Crowd".

Not to mention that BAD voice acting will literally torpedo any animated project. This is especially prevalent in anime dubs.

"They're a dime a dozen" mentality comes with an unhealthy dose of cringe.

Recieved word recently that Disney is seeking to diversify its ability to produce movies and shorts in the event that the pandemic continues into the future, or in the event that such a crisis should ever occur again. According to sources, Disney is seeking to push forward with the same technology used to create movies such as The Lion King 2019 and The Jungle Book 2016, as well as human facial CGI seen in Rogue One, to begin work on an unnamed film that would be fully computer animated but presented as a live action film featuring human characters. The goal is to test the waters of creating computer animated films indistinguishable from live action, thus bypassing the need for actors (and actor salaries), as well as the need for proximity. According to one source, the unnamed film is a movie about young Indiana Jones, though no other person has been able to corroborate the subject matter.

The problem is that CGI creation and the rendering needed are not cheap and might cost even more.

This rumor is almost certainly false.

While Disney is no doubt exploring new CGI tech, the idea that they're looking to replace human actors with CGI to save money is nonsensical. Creating a photorealistic CGI character (like Rogue One's Tarkin) is way more expensive than just filming a human actor, which audiences prefer anyway.

I'm not sure how this is a "WDW Rumor" anyway...

brb1006

Or the 2nd problem of Disney, how to actually make a good live action film;)
Well there was the live-action "101 Dalmatians" movie from 1996 which resulted in a public resurgence with the original film in the 90s. (101 Dalmatians the series) and the only Disney Animated Film to gain two animated shows based on the original movie.

Brer Panther

Or the 2nd problem of Disney, how to actually make a good live action film;)
I heard the live action Jungle Book was pretty good.

I wish Disney would just make more hand-drawn animation.
Why is that so difficult?
Disney keeps putting their more recent hand-drawn films up against big blockbusters and barely advertises them, then comes to the conclusion that they flopped for no other reason than because they're hand-drawn.

Mac Tonight

I heard the live action Jungle Book was pretty good.

Disney keeps putting their more recent hand-drawn films up against big blockbusters and barely advertises them, then comes to the conclusion that they flopped for no other reason than because they're hand-drawn.
Sad but true. I loved the genius decision to open Winnie the Pooh (2011) the same night as the last Harry Potter film. Even when they tried to hide behind the, "but it's for different audiences" excuses, it was obvious they just didn't really care about the film. Such a shame they let their bread and butter go to waste.

Disstevefan1

Recieved word recently that Disney is seeking to diversify its ability to produce movies and shorts in the event that the pandemic continues into the future, or in the event that such a crisis should ever occur again. According to sources, Disney is seeking to push forward with the same technology used to create movies such as The Lion King 2019 and The Jungle Book 2016, as well as human facial CGI seen in Rogue One, to begin work on an unnamed film that would be fully computer animated but presented as a live action film featuring human characters. The goal is to test the waters of creating computer animated films indistinguishable from live action, thus bypassing the need for actors (and actor salaries), as well as the need for proximity. According to one source, the unnamed film is a movie about young Indiana Jones, though no other person has been able to corroborate the subject matter.

Specific to Walt Disney World, the interesting information is that due to Guardians of the Galaxy 3 film shooting being significantly delayed, the company is interested in using Cosmic Rewind as a proof of concept if they are unable to get the coaster film work completed by the actors in person on time. Given that the Young Indy film (if the one source is accurate) could be 3-5 years out, this provides perfect timing for Disney to test audiences' reaction to the technology they've developed within an attraction. Decisions should be made within the next 2 months as to whether or not you'll be seeing a virtual, yet indistinguishable from real, Chris Pratt when you hop on the coaster.

Feige has likewise expressed interest in potentially moving forward with an offshoot Marvel series using the virtual live action system. Meanwhile, Lucasfilm inked a deal with Mark Hammill without much fanfare within the past 18 months which permits them to produce films featuring a CGI Luke Skywalker. I'm told that within that contract, Disney also is given the ability to use CGI faux reality Luke in future adaptations of Galaxy's Edge. Unfortunately, due to the abysmal financial situation, the latter may not come to fruition anytime soon.

Both in the parks and in theaters, it is likely going forward that Disney will use the pandemic to slowly begin moving towards computer animation as a substitute for human actors. Of course this doesn't mean that Disney will immediately stop traditional live film, just that they have the capability for the first time in history (they believe), and they're now prepared to move forward with it to some degree... if only because they never want to be in their current stalled position ever again.

I always thought this would happen regardless of any pandemic. COVID just gives them the excuse. I am guessing they will do voice over? But I predict when they get voices perfect, there will be 100 percent will be CGI.

Digital artists and programmers are cheaper to pay than actors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom