Come on, D+, restore your content a little bit

tirian

Original Poster
Is anyone else running into crazy quality control issues on Disney+? I’m not talking about standard stream-pixelization at 7pm on a Friday. I’m talking about older cartoons, TV shows, and movies which are barely better than VHS.

Sometimes it looks like an intern crunched a DVD with the default settings in Handbreak: the interlacing is terrible. Try watching the Mickey Mouse short “Brave Little Tailor” for an egregious example.

Any Vault Disney TV content that wasn’t on the Treasures DVDs looks like it’s from home videotape, sometimes including commercials and VCR/VHS tracking! We just need a “Good Morning, America” promo with Jane Lunden to complete the effect. ;)

Also, ‘90s fare like Darkwing Duck is significantly lower quality than the DVD set. I compared them side-by-side with a TV and iPad, and the Disney+ version looks like it uses TV station Beta tapes rather than the digitized masters.

Interlacing, jagged lines, VCR tracking, soft focus—has anyone else noticed this? Meanwhile, HBO Max launched with hundreds of fully restored Looney Tunes. Was it that difficult for Disney to just toss up the complete digital files used in the Treasures DVDs?

Animaniac93-98

Is anyone else running into crazy quality control issues on Disney+? I’m not talking about standard stream-pixelization at 7pm on a Friday. I’m talking about older cartoons, TV shows, and movies which are barely better than VHS.

Sometimes it looks like an intern crunched a DVD with the default settings in Handbreak: the interlacing is terrible. Try watching the Mickey Mouse short “Brave Little Tailor” for an egregious example.

Any Vault Disney TV content that wasn’t on the Treasures DVDs looks like it’s from home videotape, sometimes including commercials and VCR/VHS tracking! We just need a “Good Morning, America” promo with Jane Lunden to complete the effect. ;)

Also, ‘90s fare like Darkwing Duck is significantly lower quality than the DVD set. I compared them side-by-side with a TV and iPad, and the Disney+ version looks like it uses TV station Beta tapes rather than the digitized masters.

Interlacing, jagged lines, VCR tracking, soft focus—has anyone else noticed this? Meanwhile, HBO Max launched with hundreds of fully restored Looney Tunes. Was it that difficult for Disney to just toss up the complete digital files used in the Treasures DVDs?

Unfortunately, this isn't new. Many Disney DVDs recycled home video masters from the 80s and looked terrible too.

Disney has a much smaller catalog compared with studios like Time Warner, but the latter has done a significantly better job of preserving/presenting that material. I wish Disney would license more of their titles to Shout! Factory, Kino, Criteron or someone who would take care of them.

tirian

Original Poster
Unfortunately, this isn't new. Many Disney DVDs recycled home video masters from the 80s and looked terrible too.

Disney has a much smaller catalog compared with studios like Time Warner, but the latter has done a significantly better job of preserving/presenting that material. I wish Disney would license more of their titles to Shout! Factory, Kino, Criteron or someone who would take care of them.
Disney restores its most marketed animated classics, and that’s about it. It’s disappointing. I agree about Kino/Criterion. That’s where SOTS belongs too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom