On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

MurphyJoe

Mulan offered to Disney+ subscribers on Sept 4 for $29.99.

I've been expecting Disney to offer direct premium pay-per-view with D+ since it's announcement. With the way theatrical releases earn money (once theaters fully reopen) it wouldn't be surprising that after the first month or two in the theater, D+ will offer a PPP option on currently running movies. Why share the profit when you have your own streaming service?

Calmdownnow

That combined with the elimination of the intern programs, the college program and the international programs would represent a significant chunk of WDW's front line labor.
Excuse me for raising this - but in another thread, I did suggest that there was a morality issue in WDW advertising/promoting international program opportunities that applicants had to pay fees to apply for when there was next to no chance of the internship taking place.

pheneix

Original Poster
Here's the thing about Disney's parks in China: They're in trouble. It is political trouble and it is financial trouble every time the CCP gets involved.

I'm not shocked nothing was said about the parks today (Shanghai is open notwithstanding), but there will not be silence on this issue for much longer. Disney is in a *very* weak state and the people they ed off across the ocean are taking advantage of it. To say nothing of the drama the Trump government can make.

There are billions of Disney's dollars at risk in these assets. Real dollars. Not asset credits or write-downs for the earnings statement.

HauntedMansionFLA

Here's the thing about Disney's parks in China: They're in trouble. It is political trouble and it is financial trouble every time the CCP gets involved.

I'm not shocked nothing was said about the parks today (Shanghai is open notwithstanding), but there will not be silence on this issue for much longer. Disney is in a *very* weak state and the people they ****ed off across the ocean are taking advantage of it. To say nothing of the drama the Trump government can make.

There are billions of Disney's dollars at risk in these assets. Real dollars. Not asset credits or write-downs for the earnings statement.
Hey, where’s the new thread you were previewing last night??😉

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Huge WDI and Creative layoffs happened this week.
No talk of layoffs today.

Disney's furlough action taken earlier in the year was cited as a cost savings maneuver that saved their quarter. Per conference call "most cast members furloughed" will return eventually.

Yeah. That same company that totally killed spending on the theme parks. Totally hiring everyone back.

Still, I guess I am happy to say that this time the scary thread title above hasn't played out yet?

So, did layoffs happen this week or not?

Two insiders with mutually exclusive info.

Someone set up the Thunder Dome!

pheneix

Original Poster
So, did layoffs happen this week or not?

Two insiders with mutually exclusive info.

Someone set up the Thunder Dome!

Multiple things happening at once.

Disney didn't brag to Wall St that its gonna eliminate 10% of its workforce in a giant reduction. They also are also laying off seemingly anyone involved with new projects at the parks as they are not happening. Indeed, Disney's grip on spending is so tight they aren't even paying contractors by and large.

Universal Creative is basically a skeleton crew operation until the world improves. Some of the gossip alleges that 70% of UC got laid off.

Next year, you're gonna see thousands less Orlando resident CMs in Orlando. They will lose their jobs. They will be gone. Tourism is not coming back -- not like people are wishing it will. Disney did everything they could not to extend guidance to how the parks could perform in the future. For good reason.

bryanfze55

Multiple things happening at once.

Disney didn't brag to Wall St that its gonna eliminate 10% of its workforce in a giant reduction. They also are also laying off seemingly anyone involved with new projects at the parks as they are not happening. Indeed, Disney's grip on spending is so tight they aren't even paying contractors by and large.

Universal Creative is basically a skeleton crew operation until the world improves. Some of the gossip alleges that 70% of UC got laid off.

Next year, you're gonna see thousands less Orlando resident CMs in Orlando. They will lose their jobs. They will be gone. Tourism is not coming back -- not like people are wishing it will. Disney did everything they could not to extend guidance to how the parks could perform in the future. For good reason.

It’ll be back eventually.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Last year in Sweden, I compared paystubs with a colleague there.

His take home - as a percent of his salary - was within a few dollars of mine.

Meanwhile he doesn't have to worry about health copays, deductibles, etc.

But you don't have 25% vat on most items... and massive taxes on food/achohol and all kinds of social 'steering' taxing.

Those societies don't have obcene income taxes on the middle of the pack.. it's on the high earners. They basically try to lift everyone to a good median level... and get more extreme the further you get away from the sweet spot. They aim for high quality of life, and excess is taxed excessively.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
But you don't have 25% vat on most items... and massive taxes on food/achohol and all kinds of social 'steering' taxing.

Those societies don't have obcene income taxes on the middle of the pack.. it's on the high earners. They basically try to lift everyone to a good median level... and get more extreme the further you get away from the sweet spot. They aim for high quality of life, and excess is taxed excessively.

Honestly, I didn't find prices for food and alcohol to be too far away from what I already pay in an expensive city. I actually found some hard liquor bargains at Systembolaget.

mikejs78

Premium Member

I'm not shocked nothing was said about the parks today (Shanghai is open notwithstanding), but there will not be silence on this issue for much longer. Disney is in a *very* weak state and the people they ****ed off across the ocean are taking advantage of it. To say nothing of the drama the Trump government can make.

Repeating the same incorrect fact over and over again doesn't make it true, just because you want it to be so. They mentioned Shanghai several times and its contributions to income - not just that "they're open". They did not mention Paris or Tokyo.. So by your logic, those parks are in trouble and Shanghai is doing just fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom