Could Disney face another hostile takeover attempt?

mharrington

Original Poster
Tell that to the many that will be homeless without those stimulus checks.

Exactly, and I would think (even hope) that that would somehow pressure the government into doing something about the lockdown so that more people won't be homeless. At some point, a tough decision will have to be made: life or livelihood. You really can't have one without the other (that is, life without financial support).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I know I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating: if unemployment benefits are expiring, then shouldn't that force (at least) the CA government's hand on reopening? Because at some point, they're going to have to make a choice about people's lives or their livelihoods which make it possible for them to financially live well. If they don't, there's a good chance the government could (at least indirectly) exacerbate the homeless rate. This is not just about theme parks, but anything else that is still shut down.

At this point none of this has anything to do with the topic of this thread. Disneyland being closed, and any topic surrounding that needs to be discussed in the Disneyland forum. Please take that conversation there.

Also no unemployment expiring will likely have no effect on the reopening of Disneyland. If Disneyland is still closed and CMs have exhausted their unemployment, they do what all other people who's unemployment expires, they look for a new job. Unemployment is meant to be a temporary helping hand while you look for another job, not a forever thing while you wait for your original job to return.

Now please take this discussion about Disneyland reopening to the Disneyland forum.

mharrington

Original Poster
At this point none of this has anything to do with the topic of this thread. Disneyland being closed, and any topic surrounding that needs to be discussed in the Disneyland forum. Please take that conversation there.

Also no unemployment expiring will likely have no effect on the reopening of Disneyland. If Disneyland is still closed and CMs have exhausted their unemployment, they do what all other people who's unemployment expires, they look for a new job. Unemployment is meant to be a temporary helping hand while you look for another job, not a forever thing while you wait for your original job to return.

Now please take this discussion about Disneyland reopening to the Disneyland forum.

First of all, there was already a thread about Disneyland's closure and reopening in the Disneyland section, but it got relocated to the "politics/social issues" section because it got too political. Second, does this unemployment thing mean that cast members have essentially been fired from their jobs, never to return? Because that's the impression I got from what you said. And it's really hard to find another job. Believe me, I know. I'm searching for one myself.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
First of all, there was already a thread about Disneyland's closure and reopening in the Disneyland section, but it got relocated to the "politics/social issues" section because it got too political. Second, does this unemployment thing mean that cast members have essentially been fired from their jobs, never to return? It's really hard to find another job. Believe me, I know.
So start another thread then, or go to the one in the politics area and update that one. Point in this is a thread about "Could Disney face another hostile takeover attempt" not about Disneyland reopening.

So lets get back on topic before this thread gets shutdown. MODs are cracking down harder than ever, I assume its because we have more new members showing up more than ever before.

mharrington

Original Poster
So start another thread then, or go to the one in the politics area and update that one. Point in this is a thread about "Could Disney face another hostile takeover attempt" not about Disneyland reopening.

So lets get back on topic before this thread gets shutdown. MODs are cracking down harder than ever, I assume its because we have more new members showing up more than ever before.

I haven't been over to that other thread lately, but I'm pretty sure my statements would probably be lost in the barrage of emotional debate. I did post there initially, but I bowed out after it became too emotional. And that was long before it got relocated.

I would think that's one main reason for crackdowns, besides politics, is attacking posters, which I'm not doing. Also, I already got dinged for this becoming too political, and such posts here were taken down, so I'm trying not to be too political again. How are MODs cracking down in ways other than becoming political or attacking other posters?

Anyway, to try to get back on topic, I have no faith in the company ever reopening the parks again without a vaccine that can directly control the virus. I've heard that a treatment of some kind was coming out in a month or so, but I'm guessing the only way the parks will ever reopen again in California is when things are "normal", meaning everything as it was before the virus - no compromises, no modifications, no nothing. And in the meantime, the parks are bleeding cash.

And you never answered my question about the unemployment. Based on your statement, does that mean that cast members have essentially been fired from their jobs, never to return? Because that's the impression I got from what you said. And it's really hard to find another job. Believe me, I know. I'm searching for one myself.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I haven't been over to that other thread lately, but I'm pretty sure my statements would probably be lost in the barrage of emotional debate. I did post there initially, but I bowed out after it became too emotional. And that was long before it got relocated.

I would think that's one main reason for crackdowns, besides politics, is attacking posters, which I'm not doing. Also, I already got dinged for this becoming too political, and such posts here were taken down, so I'm trying not to be too political again. How are MODs cracking down in ways other than becoming political or attacking other posters?

Anyway, to try to get back on topic, I have no faith in the company ever reopening the parks again without a vaccine that can directly control the virus. I've heard that a treatment of some kind was coming out in a month or so, but I'm guessing the only way the parks will ever reopen again in California is when things are "normal", meaning everything as it was before the virus - no compromises, no modifications, no nothing. And in the meantime, the parks are bleeding cash.

And you never answered my question about the unemployment. Based on your statement, does that mean that cast members have essentially been fired from their jobs, never to return? Because that's the impression I got from what you said. And it's really hard to find another job. Believe me, I know. I'm searching for one myself.
None of this is back on topic, which is why I didn't answer your question.

mharrington

Original Poster
Please create a new thread in the Disneyland side of the forum if you want that question answered.

Please get this thread back on topic.

How would I know that my comment won't get lost in the storm of jokes if I ask in the Disneyland thread? Or the politics section?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
How would I know that my comment won't get lost in the storm of jokes if I ask in the Disneyland thread? Or the politics section?
How do you know this thread won't get shutdown? You don't, that is the risk you take by posting on a public forum.

I'm not trying to be a MOD or anything, but I just don't want this thread shutdown because you treat it like you can post anything. So please stay on topic so the MODs don't shut it down. They've already been through here a couple times because it got political. So lets not give them a reason to do it again.

mharrington

Original Poster
How do you know this thread won't get shutdown? You don't, that is the risk you take by posting on a public forum.

I'm not trying to be a MOD or anything, but I just don't want this thread shutdown because you treat it like you can post anything. So please stay on topic so the MODs don't shut it down. They've already been through here a couple times because it got political. So lets not give them a reason to do it again.

I'm not being political. At least I'm not trying to be, this time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
To get this thread back on topic.

So far Wall Street isn't treating Disney like a takeover target. The stock has been trading around $115 for the last month, basically following along with the rest of the market. This is not an indication of a company that Wall Street feels is a takeover target. So conventional wisdom still say no TWDC is not a takeover target.

mharrington

Original Poster
Anyway, I finally did post that other question in the other thread (https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...itely-no-known-reopening-date.963870/page-367), along with a warning not to make any joking non-answers that would cause my question to get "lost in the crowd", so to speak.

To get this thread back on topic.

So far Wall Street isn't treating Disney like a takeover target. The stock has been trading around $115 for the last month, basically following along with the rest of the market. This is not an indication of a company that Wall Street feels is a takeover target. So conventional wisdom still say no TWDC is not a takeover target.

I don't think Disney can sugarcoat their situation in the meeting to Wall Street on Tuesday, and I don't think Wall Street will be happy with Disney's situation at all.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Anyway, I finally did post that other question in the other thread (https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...itely-no-known-reopening-date.963870/page-367), along with a warning not to make any joking non-answers that would cause my question to get "lost in the crowd", so to speak.
I answered your question.

I don't think Disney can sugarcoat their situation in the meeting to Wall Street on Tuesday, and I don't think Wall Street will be happy with Disney's situation at all.
Wall Street already knows its going to be a bad quarter for Disney. So there isn't a reason to "sugarcoat" it. The question is going to be how bad of a quarter, and I still believe it won't be as bad as people think. But again even if they have a bad quarter doesn't mean they will be a takeover target.

mharrington

Original Poster
Wall Street already knows its going to be a bad quarter for Disney. So there isn't a reason to "sugarcoat" it. The question is going to be how bad of a quarter, and I still believe it won't be as bad as people think.

But I would still think Wall Street will not be happy with Disney.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But I would still think Wall Street will not be happy with Disney.
And? So what, the stock will go down a bit, but then Wall Street will get over it when some other company has a bad quarter. And then the stock will go back up. That is what the stock market does. But still doesn't mean Disney is a takeover target at this point, because its not.

SteamboatJoe

The Bob’s aren’t kids who lied about cleaning their room. Things being down isn’t going to be a shock.

Since July 31st, the stock is up almost $13 a share, only $6.49 less than where it was last year. I'm no Wall Street expert but, considering everything that has happened, that seems pretty remarkable.

Lilofan

Since July 31st, the stock is up almost $13 a share, only $6.49 less than where it was last year. I'm no Wall Street expert but, considering everything that has happened, that seems pretty remarkable.
investors who got nervous and sold during the freefall of the market in March and did not get back in are regretting it. Tremendous gains after March and loving it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom