On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know why these resorts are doing this to themselves.
...because disney and Comcast are bloated behemoth stock traded companies (run my ego maniacs) who proceeded to try and buy the rest of the world through unsecured, financed longterm debt?

In that reality (also known as “earth”)...you NEVER admit you’re struggling. It cannot he allowed.

Lilofan

Skipper's contract was extended for 4 years roughly a month before he stepped down. Do you really think they extended his contract and then decided to fire him right after? Do you think Disney is that incompetent?

The only people I've ever heard kick around the idea that Skipper was fired for business reasons are people who think ESPN was too political. It's basically a conspiracy theory.
The reasons why and how John Skipper got fired is well documented. Google is your friend.

lewisc

I've been told the property as a whole is profitable right now, but just, and is improving for the most part.

Some areas are performing better than expected, others are below - particularly EPCOT. This shouldn't really come as a surprise, as the park operated as a park-hop due to its limited headline attractions. All attention is on the Studios for most guests, and of course MK is always a popular choice.

Here is a photo walk around EPCCOT yesterday, around midday. Shots are not designed to emphasize high or low guest numbers, just the view as it happened.

Numbers are not in the hundreds, but way below the 10,000+ goal. I'm told some type of attendance driver is being looked at.
Disney is straight up using quantum math to claim this operation is profitable. It is not. We all see the deserted theme parks and lack of guest spending. Yet, there's many Disney spinsters trying to tell us that what we see isn't really what we see. They're good at that. Look at the failed opening of Galaxy's Edge and the continued online bickering over "how bad it did."

Despite other "insiders" (not a dig at Steve *at all* cause I have my own "alternative" connects claiming the same) saying attendance is not in the hundreds," I mean... we see what these parks look like. You can certainly pull the entire day's chart and find that a few thousand ppl wandered thru the gates. They don't stay long. By 4pm every park is lucky to still have a thousand in park. On most days. its rotten luck!

They got hotel occupancy in the teens yet their transit system is getting worked like the 4th of July every day because of COVID ops. By Disney's own math alone -- baking transportation costs into room rates -- they really screwed this.
Does the quantum math include creative accounting regarding NBA revenue

EPCOT-O.G.

This is getting juicy 😬would The Chinese government not be interested in fully obtaining Shanghai at least? Don’t they control half of it?

I’m intrigued by what you know 😏
If the PRC wanted more - or all - of Shanghai Disney what’s to stop them from just taking it?

DisneyFanaticUK

I don't know why these resorts are doing this to themselves.

There has to be a fudge factor built in to their current outlook. In the best case scenario, the parks stay open, take a bit of a financial hit but show they can still operate their business. At least with this approach they can hope for a very slight return to normality late summer/ early Autumn next year (assuming a miracle vaccine is produced and spread).

However, on the other hand, if they voluntarily shut down operations, it'll send out a horrible message to vacationers and they can kiss goodbye to any sort of surge in bookings for 2021, 2022 and so on.

It really is a do or die situation for Disney, Universal and others.

Nubs70

I've been told the property as a whole is profitable right now, but just, and is improving for the most part.

Some areas are performing better than expected, others are below - particularly EPCOT. This shouldn't really come as a surprise, as the park operated as a park-hop due to its limited headline attractions. All attention is on the Studios for most guests, and of course MK is always a popular choice.

Here is a photo walk around EPCCOT yesterday, around midday. Shots are not designed to emphasize high or low guest numbers, just the view as it happened.

Numbers are not in the hundreds, but way below the 10,000+ goal. I'm told some type of attendance driver is being looked at.
If they are profitable at this level of attendance and with margins like that, Scrooge McDuck better put on pants or he is liable to be picked up on an obscenity charge.

Last edited:

ElvisMickey

Disney Springs doesn't require navigating thru a compulsory registration system just to go inside. Good to hear they can make a go of it with the world on fire.

When MK reopened, they relentlessly pushed Splash merch on the ebay sellers with no shame. Ppl hauling trash bags of plushes out. Disney knows how bad that looks. They also don't care. The only other high demand merch run I've heard about was the launch of some Disneyland 65th stuff. DL anniversary merch always turns up a crowd. Total crickets at retail other than those eBay Pirate runs.

People are scared. Even the guests coming to WDW are not escaping the real world anymore. They're taking a smoke break from it. And their phones are still getting bombed with bad news. No wonder in park spending is near zero when Disney charges these old economy prices. Disney will have to correct pricing to the new reality. They all will.

I should note that Universal's attendance and guest spending is also garbage. Today, someone tweeted a photo of the Blues Brothers performing for like a family of 3. This is a theme park that has literal hundreds of people inside. More employees than guests for sure. I don't know why these resorts are doing this to themselves.

I took the next 2 days off from work. I live 16 miles from Universal, 30 miles from Disney. Neither resort could give me a hotel rate, as an annual pass holder, that was worth me actually staying at either or, as opposed to driving home. It may not be much, but this is where they need to get a grip with reality. I love staycations. But $150 to stay at Pop Century right now after resort fees with no access to the parks? I have two words for you, and they’re not “Happy Birthday”.

PhotoDave219

It seems to have been pushed out of the forum's collective consciousness or forgotten, but not too long ago there was that big expose that leaked on here that shook the community. It essentially laid out that many alleged "insiders" are actually people paid from within the company to purposely leak the inside information and opinions they tell them to, in an attempt to sway public opinion, and that this practice has gone on since the early 00's. Was it concrete proof? No, but it's something I and many others had suspected for a long time, and we have little reason to believe it any less than the other "insider" info dumps.

As I said in my previous post in here, I've been here almost 20 years, and it's absolutely a recurring pattern on this forum. Some major event or announcement happens, and sure enough, not too much later, a big spectacle of an expose thread appears and all the "insiders" crawl out of the woodwork to drop a boatload of insider info with a heavy dose of Doom & Gloom. Every time, you'd think the company was going to collapse, the parks were going to be sold, etc. Never happens.

Why do all the insiders always show up at the same time? Why do they all have a very similar style of posting and communicating?

Option B: Often, the "insider info" is just the collective news, rumors, and opinions already known and expressed throughout the online community, only wrapped up and written in a way that implies official-ness. As in, anyone who pays close enough attention could reasonably write something up that sounds like insider info leak.

Things to consider before blindly trusting threads like this and panicking.

We're on a secret email list. We get our marching orders from Michael Eisner.

Chef Mickey

Demand is down, even with the artificially and surprisingly low park caps only DHS is close to its limit. And it has the lowest one.

It’s surprised a lot of people.
That’s fine...2 weeks in and the track record speaks for itself. You know that. This impact is real, but There is no doubt Disney will be back.

This isn’t a Disney issue. That is the key point. MGM just posted a revenue decline of 91%. Confidence needs to be rebuilt.

PhotoDave219

I don't know what people expect from Disney anymore.

First they are running the parks almost empty because for some God awful reason they decided to open during a raging and highly contagious pandemic. If I go there on a trip after I get home I'm going to have to self quarantine for another two weeks so it makes a vacation look silly.

Second the parks are open during a raging and highly contagious pandemic in the current ground zero of the raging and highly contagious pandemic. While Orlando isn't Miami it's still not ideal to travel there if only for the most dedicated in my opinion.

And finally the parks are open during a raging and highly contagious pandemic.

If you see the videos on Youtube you can easily see there are not enough guests in the park, it makes one wonder if they are making enough to make daily payroll after paying the bills. I don't know how Disney can support keeping the parks open right now without opening the gates for everyone.

Also, how was Disney supposed to plan for something like Covid-19 anyway? Give each guest a body condom?

Either way welcome back @PhotoDave219 and @mkt, I haven't seen you two sexy men post in a while, or when I have time to look around myself...

I'm not really here... Nice to see you too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom