News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

Dizneykid

Yeah the parks are dead. But it’s not entirely lack of demand it’s also the incredibly low attendance caps they have set. Even if they could feel more resort rooms (which they can’t) there would be no room in the parks to put those guests now. Although at present they are often struggling to fill the park capacity they have. It’s going to be rough.

My hunch was that they were expecting to raise capacity by August and won't be able to now. This eliminates the need for extra resorts. I've heard nothing but good reports out of Disney World as far as safety on property. Even on mainstream news 🤷

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My hunch was that they were expecting to raise capacity by August and won't be able to now. This eliminates the need for extra resorts. I've heard nothing but good reports out of Disney World as far as safety on property. Even on mainstream news 🤷
Nobody is coming in August. The hotels have been wide open since they started booking again.

August is a fairly slow month in Normal Times now. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd overall of the year

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In raw numbers yesterday was nowhere near a normal day let alone busier than one.
I keep seeing this and it’s wrong...

Absolutely nothing there is “busier than normal”

Not springs, not parks, nothing. The wdw demographics are long distance travelers and who’s coming?

The only thing I can assume is that people don’t “people watch” when they were there in normal times??

I don’t need another ride on mine train...I people watch. Most don’t really notice how large the crowds are in real time.

Which is why I keep saying that 25 or 50% does not work. Disney parks are a mass attendance model since the 80’s.

Parker in NYC

Not springs, not parks, nothing. The wdw demographics are long distance travelers and who’s coming?

The only thing I can assume is that people don’t “people watch” when they were there in normal times??

I don’t need another ride on mine train...I people watch. Most don’t really notice how large the crowds are in real time.

Which is why I keep saying that 25 or 50% does not work. Disney parks are a mass attendance model since the 80’s.

Yup. TouringPlans has every day at a 1.

peter11435

Yeah that’s what I was saying. My post wasn’t wrong. While it may have “felt” busy at times, actual attendance was just a small percentage of pre Covid numbers.

Its not sustainable

Last edited:

Dizneykid

Nobody is coming in August. The hotels have been wide open since they started booking again.

August is a fairly slow month in Normal Times now. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd overall of the year

Which is it really though? Some people are saying it looks like a normal day sometimes and others are saying "nobody" is going. My brain is burping lol.

Jrb1979

Which is it really though? Some people are saying it looks like a normal day sometimes and others are saying "nobody" is going. My brain is burping lol.
I think weekends are busier due to AP holders but weekdays is very quiet. For the most part its the AP holders filling the parks. They rely heavily on resort guests for income for the parks as they tend to spend more money then AP holders. Those people for the most part aren't going.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is not anywhere close to a “normal” day in July in Orlando...

Now some of the coastal towns in Florida are near demanding things be “normal”...
And they are planting some seeds that may not taste too good

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As someone from the tristate area, I can tell you no one here wants to go to any of the states being called 'hotspots.' On top of that, if we do, we have to quarantine coming back.

So, WDW has lost almost all international business and almost everyone from the Northeast.

If you were watching social media while MLS and NBA were heading to FL, they were barraged with messages that they were heading to their deaths. That's the perception that's out there.

So, no wonder that hotel reservations are down. Almost no one wants to travel to FL, even if it's for a nearly empty Disney World.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As someone from the tristate area, I can tell you no one here wants to go to any of the states being called 'hotspots.' On top of that, if we do, we have to quarantine coming back.

So, WDW has lost almost all international business and almost everyone from the Northeast.

If you were watching social media while MLS and NBA were heading to FL, they were barraged with messages that they were heading to their deaths. That's the perception that's out there.

So, no wonder that hotel reservations are down. Almost no one wants to travel to FL, even if it's for a nearly empty Disney World.
Which “tristate”?

Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky? 🤪
I put up mid-day ride graphs in the MK and DHS reopening threads for the sake of date regarding capacity (and indeed, it looks like capacity was increased and Sunday was not a fluke).
That’s interesting...

I bet that annual pass “booking” stuff goes away soon. Which is not a good look either

Last edited:

jaklgreen

I wonder if they opened park hopping back up if that would increase the amount of people coming. I know that it is a big perk for many people, especially those who enjoy going to get dinner at Epcot. They don't seem to be hitting whatever capacity that they have set, so I can see park hopping as being doable.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The temperature screenings may not be a good thing...since asymptomatic transmission has been proven to be a significant issue.

It’s a PR move...and I’m not sure it may not “relax” the focus a bit for those in the parks/resorts.

It’s easy to “stay away” from this guy 👇🏻

1595878098777.jpeg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom