The Red Button Option

UNCgolf

It doesn't help that a lot Disney fans don't have the excitement for new attractions like other parks do. I constantly see vloggers and posts about the new Jurrasic Park coaster. A lot are excited for it. On Disney boards I don't see the same excitement for Tron or Ratatouille.

I think Disney fans have excitement for attractions that are both impressive and new. Ratatouille and Tron aren't new -- they're new for WDW, but some people here have already been on one or both of them. Beyond that, anyone that wants to see what they're like can watch a Youtube video.

Plenty of people were excited about Rise of the Resistance before it opened, though. MMRR had some excitement, but it was also weighed down by the fact it replaced a great existing ride rather than being an addition. I think you would have seen significantly more excitement about MMRR if it had been built in a brand new building elsewhere.

There seems to be a decent amount of excitement about the Guardians ride, but it has the same issue as MMRR -- it's replacing something that already existed, plus it's being put in the wrong park which also dampens enthusiasm.

I think there's almost universal excitement about the Beauty and the Beast ride going into Tokyo because it looks fantastic, but a lot of people (me included) wish it was coming to WDW instead.

Jrb1979

I think Disney fans have excitement for attractions that are both impressive and new. Ratatouille and Tron aren't new -- they're new for WDW, but some people here have already been on one or both of them. Beyond that, anyone that wants to see what they're like can watch a Youtube video.

Plenty of people were excited about Rise of the Resistance before it opened, though. MMRR had some excitement, but it was also weighed down by the fact it replaced a great existing ride rather than being an addition. I think you would have seen significantly more excitement about MMRR if it had been built in a brand new building elsewhere.

There seems to be a decent amount of excitement about the Guardians ride, but it has the same issue as MMRR -- it's replacing something that already existed, plus it's being put in the wrong park which also dampens enthusiasm.

I think there's almost universal excitement about the Beauty and the Beast ride going into Tokyo because it looks fantastic, but a lot of people (me included) wish it was coming to WDW instead.
Plenty may have been excited about those new attractions but many don't show it much. On a theme park board I am on new attractions have multiple pages discussing said attraction plus people constantly post construction updates. I rarely see that on Disney boards.

My biggest thing is as much as people are excited for new attractions they don't boost attendance as much as they do at other parks. I realize Disney is a place you plan for ahead of time but you would think people would plan for when new attractions debut. I look at Hagrids at Universal, many had no problem waiting 8 to 10 hrs to ride it. Yet Disney fans stayed away when Galaxy's Edge was opened. No wonder Iger had the belief new attractions were the law of diminishing returns.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Plenty may have been excited about those new attractions but many don't show it much. On a theme park board I am on new attractions have multiple pages discussing said attraction plus people constantly post construction updates. I rarely see that on Disney boards.

My biggest thing is as much as people are excited for new attractions they don't boost attendance as much as they do at other parks. I realize Disney is a place you plan for ahead of time but you would think people would plan for when new attractions debut. I look at Hagrids at Universal, many had no problem waiting 8 to 10 hrs to ride it. Yet Disney fans stayed away when Galaxy's Edge was opened. No wonder Iger had the belief new attractions were the law of diminishing returns.

That's because Galaxy's Edge wasn't popular. Pandora had 6 hour lines for weeks and 2 hour lines for years.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's because Galaxy's Edge wasn't popular. Pandora had 6 hour lines for weeks and 2 hour lines for years.

RotR had boarding groups that controlled the amount of people who could ride the ride. It's not possible to compare the two headliners of the two lands.

Once RotR opened, the land of Star Wars was as full of people as Pandora has been.

Animaniac93-98

Iger trying to sell off the parks in and of itself is not terrible, but it's symptomatic of a much bigger issue. That the CEO of Disney is so detached and clueless about arguably the company's biggest asset that he continuously makes poor decisions for it.

MDE, out of control costs for new investments, losing market share in Orlando, lackluster rides built for major properties, the lack of in house talent and management, a stubbornly singular vision for all new projects [IP only], the botched opening of Galaxy's Edge etc

He does not understand the business. He does not understand why us yokells would spend so much money to ride a nondescript coaster themed to India or whatever. The continued success of the Disney parks is largely the result of the DECADES of quality investments BEFORE he became CEO. He's been riding the coattails of others for years, insisting the whole time he was the visionary who lead the company to greatness. Even though he's technically no longer CEO, he's still pushing this narrative for political/personal gain.

lazyboy97o

I agree. Lately that thoughtfulness seems to be lacking. I look at coaster companies and how they keep trying to push the boundaries on what can be done. When I look at Disney they just stick to what they know and really never go farther.

It doesn't help that a lot Disney fans don't have the excitement for new attractions like other parks do. I constantly see vloggers and posts about the new Jurrasic Park coaster. A lot are excited for it. On Disney boards I don't see the same excitement for Tron or Ratatouille.
Comparing coster manufacturers to Walt Disney Imagineering or Universal Creative is just... odd. It’s not really the same work unless a ride is a ride is a ride. Even then, a lot of the last few new rides at Walt Disney World have been Disney developed ride systems. I’m more than willing to argue their necessity and actual uniqueness, but Rise of the Resistance, Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, Smuggler’s Run, Alien Swirling Saucers, Flight of Passage and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train all use ride systems developed by Walt Disney Imagineering.

Considering everything that was omitted/spun in The Imagineering Story, it's amazing that Tom Morris' criticism over the "7.4 attractions in a day" WAS kept in.
It really is. I thought about mentioning but figured I’d get a “You just said it’s unreliable” response. It’s just amazing Tom is in it. He is very much under recognized for his work. If I’m remembering correctly his name was omitted from the official credits for Cars Land despite being integral in making that land work. He also delivered the beautiful and charming Hong Kong Disneyland when others delivered Disney’s California Adventure and Walt Disney Studios Park.

Lilofan

Iger trying to sell off the parks in and of itself is not terrible, but it's symptomatic of a much bigger issue. That the CEO of Disney is so detached and clueless about arguably the company's biggest asset that he continuously makes poor decisions for it.

MDE, out of control costs for new investments, losing market share in Orlando, lackluster rides built for major properties, the lack of in house talent and management, a stubbornly singular vision for all new projects [IP only], the botched opening of Galaxy's Edge etc

He does not understand the business. He does not understand why us yokells would spend so much money to ride a nondescript coaster themed to India or whatever. The continued success of the Disney parks is largely the result of the DECADES of quality investments BEFORE he became CEO. He's been riding the coattails of others for years, insisting the whole time he was the visionary who lead the company to greatness. Even though he's technically no longer CEO, he's still pushing this narrative for political/personal gain.
He is pushing his narrative to impress the Board, Wall Street and the company shareholders. That's typical of of company CEO. His whole compensation that was set by the Board on his contract is his main focus. He tried to retire several times but the Board kept convincing him to stay in a little while longer.

Animaniac93-98

He is pushing his narrative to impress the Board, Wall Street and the company shareholders. That's typical of of company CEO. His whole compensation that was set by the Board on his contract is his main focus. He tried to retire several times but the Board kept convincing him to stay in a little while longer.

I understand why he would push that narrative, it's just disappointing to see so many journalists and fans buy into it without question.

maxairmike

Comparing coster manufacturers to Walt Disney Imagineering or Universal Creative is just... odd. It’s not really the same work unless a ride is a ride is a ride. Even then, a lot of the last few new rides at Walt Disney World have been Disney developed ride systems. I’m more than willing to argue their necessity and actual uniqueness, but Rise of the Resistance, Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, Smuggler’s Run, Alien Swirling Saucers, Flight of Passage and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train all use ride systems developed by Walt Disney Imagineering.

I'll give you trackless (only because it's so hard to track down, pun not intended, but I thought they had gone to Oceaneering for that after Hunny Hunt), Alien Swirling Saucers, and Smugglers off of that lists as "Disney developed ride systems," but 7D certainly isn't anything close to that. It may be the only Vekoma coaster with that specific type of train, but it's hardly a new thing in coasters. I believe FOP is a (albeit heavily) customized Dynamic Attractions flying theater, not a new system developed by WDI, compared to when WDI came up with the Soarin' system and went to Dynamic to help them build it.

Of course, when it comes to ride systems I'm more inclined to give the credit to the manufacturers who collaborated than WDI (excepting the ones I mentioned above), mainly because they get their names removed from the creations and I think they deserve a bit more recognition.

EDIT: Though I should mention that Mater's/Saucers isn't really a new system either, just one revived from the golden age of amusement parks and again slightly modified. However because the ride system was essentially dead for so long (I don't recall any that survived to the modern day, unlike Whips) I'll give it to WDI for reviving and modernizing it.

Jrb1979

IMO a ride is a ride. All those rides you listed for the most part are very similar. It feels like almost all new rides they put in a new version of a dark ride. I realize that's their thing and most Disney fans love that cause almost all their rides the whole family can ride together. IMO the last innovative attraction that I personally was blown away by is Tower of Terror. Outside that it feels when they come across a new ride system they use it for almost every new ride til they come up with a new system. First it was omni-movers for many attractions and now it's moved to trackless ride vehicles.

I travel the US visiting theme parks every summer and have been on many different type of attractions. I am more blown away in what new concepts the coaster companies are doing then anything Disney has done. Last time I was at Disney after going on the many omni-mover rides I felt like I rode the same ride just with different scenes.

lazyboy97o

I'll give you trackless (only because it's so hard to track down, pun not intended, but I thought they had gone to Oceaneering for that after Hunny Hunt), Alien Swirling Saucers, and Smugglers off of that lists as "Disney developed ride systems," but 7D certainly isn't anything close to that. It may be the only Vekoma coaster with that specific type of train, but it's hardly a new thing in coasters. I believe FOP is a (albeit heavily) customized Dynamic Attractions flying theater, not a new system developed by WDI, compared to when WDI came up with the Soarin' system and went to Dynamic to help them build it.

Of course, when it comes to ride systems I'm more inclined to give the credit to the manufacturers who collaborated than WDI (excepting the ones I mentioned above), mainly because they get their names removed from the creations and I think they deserve a bit more recognition.

EDIT: Though I should mention that Mater's/Saucers isn't really a new system either, just one revived from the golden age of amusement parks and again slightly modified. However because the ride system was essentially dead for so long (I don't recall any that survived to the modern day, unlike Whips) I'll give it to WDI for reviving and modernizing it.
Even if Oceaneering is the manufacture, it’s based on technology developed by Disney for Aquatopia. Similarly, the post-Islands of Adventure motion base vehicles for Spider-Man, Transformers and Jurassic World are ordered from Oceaneering but use Universal’s vehicle design and not Oceaneering’s very similar Evolution ride system.

FlIger of Passage is more similar to Brogent’s flying theaters that utilize a motion base than Dynamic Attractions’ but it is still a unique one developed by Disney.

The swinging car for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was developed by Disney with assistance from Verona as they are the manufacturer. This is different than TRON or Cosmic Rewind where Walt Disney Imagineering was involved in iterating something already developed by Vekoma.

Mater’s and Aliens is inspired by older concepts but ultimately unique to Disney. Zamperla has apparently tried to develop their own version but it is not some5ing that has made it to market.

IMO a ride is a ride. All those rides you listed for the most part are very similar. It feels like almost all new rides they put in a new version of a dark ride. I realize that's their thing and most Disney fans love that cause almost all their rides the whole family can ride together. IMO the last innovative attraction that I personally was blown away by is Tower of Terror. Outside that it feels when they come across a new ride system they use it for almost every new ride til they come up with a new system. First it was omni-movers for many attractions and now it's moved to trackless ride vehicles.

I travel the US visiting theme parks every summer and have been on many different type of attractions. I am more blown away in what new concepts the coaster companies are doing then anything Disney has done. Last time I was at Disney after going on the many omni-mover rides I felt like I rode the same ride just with different scenes.
It seems amusement parks are more your thing than theme parks.

Jrb1979

It seems amusement parks are more your thing than theme parks.
I like Universal and they are a theme park. Their dark rides are well done and other then Spiderman and Tramsformers, they are all different with using different ride systems. A dark can be well done with some thrill added in and most of Disney's are family friendly.

RaiseTheShields

I don’t recall Oceaneering being involved in Rise. Are you sure about that or did I misunderstand?

Ravenclaw78

I don’t recall Oceaneering being involved in Rise. Are you sure about that or did I misunderstand?
Rise was not the first ride Disney created that uses this iteration of trackless technology. Rise's innovation was in seamlessly combining so many typically distinct elements (trackless vehicles, motion simulators, elevators, and the blaster and lightsaber effects, among others) into a single attraction. I believe he was referring to one or more of the earlier rides to use trackless, such at Rat at DLP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom