Talk to me about Pros and Cons of Resale/ How many points would we need.

Mainahman

Original Poster
So in 26 days we arrive for our first DVC room stay. We got upgraded to a 2 bedroom VIlla at Kidani VIllage. Now the way my wife talks, she is super excited, and i can see a trend that she may be coming over to my dark side, of slower trips, as we know we will do something we missed next time, including increasing the resort only time. AKL has always been somewhere weve wanted to stay just because of the animals, and finally we get to do it. I know to own at this resort, would be a resale only option. I feel she may be interested to be able to know we always have a home, and take that portion out of it.

We come for a week at very least every year.

Most of the time there will be 2 of us. My wife and I so a studio is probably sufficient, but we like to occasionally bring someone with us, like a niece or nephew, and a 1 bedroom would work.

In rare occasions, My daughter and Her fiance may want to go, and in this case, we would want to be able to find a way to rent/ borrow points to be able to upgrade to a 2 bedroom so everyone has their space.

Usually we arrive on a Sunday, and leave the following Saturday so 6 nights slept in the resort in one trip. Budgeting a little extra for an occasional upgrade, and or a resort only stay for a long weekend is not out of the question either. :) times of year is totally for the most part not an issue, as we both work for the same company, so we can go anytime we want. its when we take someone else that it must be summer etc.

Teach me your ways!

Thanks all!

Club Cooloholic

It's simple math. Resale will literally save you thousands of dollars. If you plan to go multiple times a year and get an annual pass, you do get a discount with direct, and there are some other little perks like special events that resale buyers can't get. But to be worth it these events have to be something you can actually get a ticket to as they are limited and you have to be at WDW when they do it, it's not something that's once a month.

nickys

Premium Member
Some important things to ask yourself:

How far ahead can I book?
DVC works best if you can plan 7-11 months out.

Where do I want to stay?
There’s a school of thought hat is widely held - buy where you want to stay. Yes, at 7 months you can use your points anywhere ( but not at Riviera if you buy resale) but availability can vary depending on when you want to go. And in the next couple of years expect things to be tight.
Therefore at the very least, buy where you wouldn’t mind staying. And if you mainly want to be at WDW then definitely buy there.

When will I travel?
Less busy times for WDW tend to be peak times for DVC. Mid Sept thru mid Jan is busy time, mid Oct thru mid Jan is called Fall Frenzy for good reason!

How many points do I need?
Below is a link to the DVC site, with a link to each resort. Under each one is a Points Chart link.

Generally points won’t vary much for a specific type of room for the same time from year to year. Points must balance across a resort, but they can alter them. In 2021 they introduced 2 new seasons. So some times cost a couple less points per night, others a couple more.
Have a look and see what kind of points you would need. If going every other year divide by 2.
Do not bank on the cheapest room category go up one. At AKL for example, value rooms will be “walked“ for months in some cases. That essentially means jump in, book a week and then move the dates on every few days.

So let’s go to AKL, Jambo House and click on the blue “view points chart and calculator

Play around and see how many points a week would be. For a 1 bed (not the value category), standard view, you need 228 points.

edit: I tried linking at each step but the link just gave the list, not the opened up page. Sorry.

If you click on the “download PDF” you can see the whole year, split by season. A week by the way is no saving, it simply means a full 7 nights all within one season. It’s there as a guide only.

Here’s the 2021 chart

And then, after all that, you need to find out more about how DVC works.

- It’s a timeshare and there are laws surrounding how it works.
- You get the same number of points each year, or rather the same number of points become available to you at the same time each year.
- You can save them for one additional year (banking) or borrow one year’s points to use now (borrowing)
- You can book a room using your available points (and by banking &/or borrowing you could use 3 years at once, although that can be restricted as it is just now

Go and play with the site, look at the resorts, the room options, the points charts. Then come back and ask questions! 🙂

Mainahman

Original Poster
It's simple math. Resale will literally save you thousands of dollars. If you plan to go multiple times a year and get an annual pass, you do get a discount with direct, and there are some other little perks like special events that resale buyers can't get. But to be worth it these events have to be something you can actually get a ticket to as they are limited and you have to be at WDW when they do it, it's not something that's once a month.
Were 11 hours out, so we dont exactly drop in on a whim.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Some important things to ask yourself:

How far ahead can I book?
DVC works best if you can plan 7-11 months out.

Where do I want to stay?
There’s a school of thought hat is widely held - buy where you want to stay. Yes, at 7 months you can use your points anywhere ( but not at Riviera if you buy resale) but availability can vary depending on when you want to go. And in the next couple of years expect things to be tight.
Therefore at the very least, buy where you wouldn’t mind staying. And if you mainly want to be at WDW then definitely buy there.

When will I travel?
Less busy times for WDW tend to be peak times for DVC. Mid Sept thru mid Jan is busy time, mid Oct thru mid Jan is called Fall Frenzy for good reason!

How many points do I need?
Below is a link to the DVC site, with a link to each resort. Under each one is a Points Chart link.

Generally points won’t vary much for a specific type of room for the same time from year to year. Points must balance across a resort, but they can alter them. In 2021 they introduced 2 new seasons. So some times cost a couple less points per night, others a couple more.
Have a look and see what kind of points you would need. If going every other year divide by 2.
Do not bank on the cheapest room category go up one. At AKL for example, value rooms will be “walked“ for months in some cases. That essentially means jump in, book a week and then move the dates on every few days.

So let’s go to AKL, Jambo House and click on the blue “view points chart and calculator

Play around and see how many points a week would be. For a 1 bed (not the value category), standard view, you need 228 points.

edit: I tried linking at each step but the link just gave the list, not the opened up page. Sorry.

If you click on the “download PDF” you can see the whole year, split by season. A week by the way is no saving, it simply means a full 7 nights all within one season. It’s there as a guide only.

Here’s the 2021 chart

And then, after all that, you need to find out more about how DVC works.

- It’s a timeshare and there are laws surrounding how it works.
- You get the same number of points each year, or rather the same number of points become available to you at the same time each year.
- You can save them for one additional year (banking) or borrow one year’s points to use now (borrowing)
- You can book a room using your available points (and by banking &/or borrowing you could use 3 years at once, although that can be restricted as it is just now

Go and play with the site, look at the resorts, the room options, the points charts. Then come back and ask questions! 🙂
You are amazing!

Here's some questions answered. We usually book at least 7-11 months out honestly. It usually gives us the proper time to space out payments, then use the good old work bonus to pay it off, or add up charges etc.

We like theme, which is why AKL or even wilderness lodge come to mind. Everything else to me seems to plain, or too high class if you get what i mean. WDW is really the only concern.

Time of year does not matter, and were flexable. I have a birthday in March, Wife in July. But honestly any day at WDW is a good day. I get 4 weeks of vacation a year, and my wife isnt far behind me with at least 3 now. So we can definitely book one of those as disney, and space out the rest of the time off as what i like to call Dump days, of random FTO etc.

I found the calculator after doing some sleuthing, And found Jambo being about 194 for this year fr a 1 bedroom sleeps 5 villa.

Where Kidani ( where we will be staying next month) a 1 bedroom savanna view is 231 for the 1 bedroom

Can you borrow just some of the points from the next year, or is it an all or nothing thing? Say we had bought enough to always stay in a 1 bedroom savanna view, but wanted to take our Daughter and her Fiance? And we need a 2 bedroom lockout or a 2 bedroom standard? Etc. how does that work?

nickys

Premium Member
To clarify here. The special events are usually announced in January or February for the year. What happens is people do plan around them for a couple of nights, then try and book (which use a telephone VQ now so slightly better these days). And if they don’t get in then they might cancel and rebook later.

So they don’t fit with the booking 11 months ahead, but if you have some points for a weekend and get there at the right time and get lucky then you can still plan for them. Kinda.

But it’s irrelevant if you buy resale anyway.

The main perk you lose resale is the discounted AP. Or rather, the Gild AP which is usually only available to Florida residents.

Mainahman

Original Poster
To clarify here. The special events are usually announced in January or February for the year. What happens is people do plan around them for a couple of nights, then try and book (which use a telephone VQ now so slightly better these days). And if they don’t get in then they might cancel and rebook later.

So they don’t fit with the booking 11 months ahead, but if you have some points for a weekend and get there at the right time and get lucky then you can still plan for them. Kinda.

But it’s irrelevant if you buy resale anyway.

The main perk you lose resale is the discounted AP. Or rather, the Gild AP which is usually only available to Florida residents.
Im not decided if we would need an AP. We have the Disney Visa, which carries some discounts already, and definitely wouldnt be buying 2 APs likely, so that really isnt a big deal to me to loose that. Although if the Cost of our normal trip for tickets were to hit the same price or more than the AP, id likely just do that, but still that doesnt bother me at all.

nickys

Premium Member
You are amazing!

Here's some questions answered. We usually book at least 7-11 months out honestly. It usually gives us the proper time to space out payments, then use the good old work bonus to pay it off, or add up charges etc.

We like theme, which is why AKL or even wilderness lodge come to mind. Everything else to me seems to plain, or too high class if you get what i mean. WDW is really the only concern.

Time of year does not matter, and were flexable. I have a birthday in March, Wife in July. But honestly any day at WDW is a good day. I get 4 weeks of vacation a year, and my wife isnt far behind me with at least 3 now. So we can definitely book one of those as disney, and space out the rest of the time off as what i like to call Dump days, of random FTO etc.

I found the calculator after doing some sleuthing, And found Jambo being about 194 for this year fr a 1 bedroom sleeps 5 villa.

Where Kidani ( where we will be staying next month) a 1 bedroom savanna view is 231 for the 1 bedroom

Can you borrow just some of the points from the next year, or is it an all or nothing thing? Say we had bought enough to always stay in a 1 bedroom savanna view, but wanted to take our Daughter and her Fiance? And we need a 2 bedroom lockout or a 2 bedroom standard? Etc. how does that work?

When you book you can borrow any points you need at the time. It’s not all or nothing, same for banking, you can just bank any remaining points.

Borrowing and banking though are final transactions. If I borrow 25 points they are then “current” and will expire at the end of my “use year”. Use year is actually the month you get access to your new points each year.

You have to bank at least four months before the end of your use year.

Use Year is a slightly tricky concept. I have a December use year, probably the most confusing of all. Let’s use a April use year. On April 1st 2020 you would get access to another set of points, these are 2020 points and will expire at the end of March 2021. If I want to extend them I have to decide to do that by the end of November 2020.

Mainahman

Original Poster
When you book you can borrow any points you need at the time. It’s not all or nothing, same for banking, you can just bank any remaining points.

Borrowing and banking though are final transactions. If I borrow 25 points they are then “current” and will expire at the end of my “use year”. Use year is actually the month you get access to your new points each year.

You have to bank at least four months before the end of your use year.

Use Year is a slightly tricky concept. I have a December use year, probably the most confusing of all. Let’s use a April use year. On April 1st 2020 you would get access to another set of points, these are 2020 points and will expire at the end of March 2021. If I want to extend them I have to decide to do that by the end of November 2020.
Ok so if you go after a certain time, you get this years points and next years then? ok that makes a bit of sense.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Ok so if you go after a certain time, you get this years points and next years then? ok that makes a bit of sense.
Well, you don't just "get" them. To use @nickys example, on April1st 2020, she received her yearly allotment of, say, 200 points. She can use those 200 points at any point for a resort stay from April1st 2020 until March 31st 2021. The reservation can be made 11 months in advance, so for a September 2020 stay, she can reserve the stay in October of 2019, and use her April 1st 2020 points. If she needed more than the 200 2020 points, she could borrow what she needed from 2021 points. So if she needed 50 more points, she now only has 150 coming on April 1st 2021 for those stays. If she only needed 175 points for the September stay, she can bank those 25 points to 2021, and would then have 225 to use for 2021 after her April 1st allotment. Clear as mud?

Chip Chipperson

DVC will let you know what the deadline is for banking any unused points. If you fail to bank them by that date and don't use them then you lose them for that Use Year. My wife and I have a Use Year that starts February 1. If we don't bank our unused 2020 points by September, we'll lose any unused points.

One thing to keep in mind with borrowing points is that there is currently a limit in place that you can only borrow up to 50% of the following year's points. I would hope that the limit will disappear again once they get through the backlog of points caused by the pandemic, but there are no guarantees.

I could be wrong, but in addition to not being eligible for the DVC Moonlight Magic or any other discounts available to members who bought direct, buying resale would prevent you from booking a stay with points at Riviera. If that doesn't matter to you then resale is the way to go, but know that DVC has the right of first refusal and can swoop in and buy up the contract at the same price you agreed to so it could conceivably take a while to actually be able to complete a purchase via resale if they keep matching your offers.

nickys

Premium Member
DVC will let you know what the deadline is for banking any unused points. If you fail to bank them by that date and don't use them then you lose them for that Use Year. My wife and I have a Use Year that starts February 1. If we don't bank our unused 2020 points by September, we'll lose any unused points.

One thing to keep in mind with borrowing points is that there is currently a limit in place that you can only borrow up to 50% of the following year's points. I would hope that the limit will disappear again once they get through the backlog of points caused by the pandemic, but there are no guarantees.

I could be wrong, but in addition to not being eligible for the DVC Moonlight Magic or any other discounts available to members who bought direct, buying resale would prevent you from booking a stay with points at Riviera. If that doesn't matter to you then resale is the way to go, but know that DVC has the right of first refusal and can swoop in and buy up the contract at the same price you agreed to so it could conceivably take a while to actually be able to complete a purchase via resale if they keep matching your offers.
Good point about Riviera. Yep, resale points (bought after Jan 2019) cannot be used to book at Riviera.

Currently there is no ROFR happening, so sales are going through. However it is also taking longer to actually get the points in your account.

Chip Chipperson

Good point about Riviera. Yep, resale points (bought after Jan 2019) cannot be used to book at Riviera.

Currently there is no ROFR happening, so sales are going through. However it is also taking longer to actually get the points in your account.

I hadn't considered that DVC might not want to take on the extra inventory right now, so yeah, this is probably as good a time to buy resale as there's going to be.

Mainahman

Original Poster

Rivera just seems plain to me when it comes to theming, and not one i could see doing a resory only stay at personally.

Mainahman

Original Poster
I hadn't considered that DVC might not want to take on the extra inventory right now, so yeah, this is probably as good a time to buy resale as there's going to be.
A lot of this will depend on how well she likes our stay at Kidani next month. I feel like that could easily become home though. Its removed enough from the parks to be relaxing.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Well, you don't just "get" them. To use @nickys example, on April1st 2020, she received her yearly allotment of, say, 200 points. She can use those 200 points at any point for a resort stay from April1st 2020 until March 31st 2021. The reservation can be made 11 months in advance, so for a September 2020 stay, she can reserve the stay in October of 2019, and use her April 1st 2020 points. If she needed more than the 200 2020 points, she could borrow what she needed from 2021 points. So if she needed 50 more points, she now only has 150 coming on April 1st 2021 for those stays. If she only needed 175 points for the September stay, she can bank those 25 points to 2021, and would then have 225 to use for 2021 after her April 1st allotment. Clear as mud?
Mud as clear!

Chip Chipperson

A lot of this will depend on how well she likes our stay at Kidani next month. I feel like that could easily become home though. Its removed enough from the parks to be relaxing.

I think you'll both enjoy it - especially if you're in a 2-bedroom. The full kitchen, 3rd bathroom, and washer & dryer are great. The one thing that might be a negative for your trip is if the Jambo House dining options aren't available. The Mara is the only quick-service restaurant (although Sanaa in Kidani does offer a QS breakfast with some grab-and-go options) so dining might be limited compared to normal operations. With the full kitchen you can at least get groceries delivered from Amazon Prime or Shipt, though.

Mainahman

Original Poster
I think you'll both enjoy it - especially if you're in a 2-bedroom. The full kitchen, 3rd bathroom, and washer & dryer are great. The one thing that might be a negative for your trip is if the Jambo House dining options aren't available. The Mara is the only quick-service restaurant (although Sanaa in Kidani does offer a QS breakfast with some grab-and-go options) so dining might be limited compared to normal operations. With the full kitchen you can at least get groceries delivered from Amazon Prime or Shipt, though.
We have a boathouse reservation on arrival day, and lunch will be Bread Service!!! as long as i can get Bread Service we will be good! I really like the QS breakfast option, as likely on the EPCOT day we will grab a sit down breakfast there. Other than that we will have packed a ton of stuff to bring in for groceries as we drive. Im really excited. The 3 bathrooms will come in handy. Each of the kids get their own for the week.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Everyone loves Kidani. 😎

Animal Kingdom Lodge and Boulder Ridge Villas (the wilderness lodge DVC that’s not in the main building) are two of the less expensive DVC resale options. AKV expires in 2057 and BRV in 2042. Copper Creek Villas at Wilderness Lodge is also an option, those expire in 2067. And the last year you’ll receive points is the one prior to expiration. Just keep that in mind when you’re looking for contracts.

The annual dues you play a huge role in the cost of DVC as well, and those three resorts are among the highest at Walt Disney World. Keep them in mind when deciding where to buy. The lowest dues are at Saratoga Springs and the three monorail resorts.

Animal Kingdom tends to be one of the easier resorts to trade into at seven months, particularly at the Kidani building, which is a different booking category than DVC at Jambo (even though it’s considered one resort). You can find availability charts to help get a better handle on what’s historically available at seven months here: https://www.dvchelp.com/page/how-do-the-charts-work

Mainahman

Original Poster
Everyone loves Kidani. 😎

Animal Kingdom Lodge and Boulder Ridge Villas (the wilderness lodge DVC that’s not in the main building) are two of the less expensive DVC resale options. AKV expires in 2057 and BRV in 2042. Copper Creek Villas at Wilderness Lodge is also an option, those expire in 2067. And the last year you’ll receive points is the one prior to expiration. Just keep that in mind when you’re looking for contracts.

The annual dues you play a huge role in the cost of DVC as well, and those three resorts are among the highest at Walt Disney World. Keep them in mind when deciding where to buy. The lowest dues are at Saratoga Springs and the three monorail resorts.

Animal Kingdom tends to be one of the easier resorts to trade into at seven months, particularly at the Kidani building, which is a different booking category than DVC at Jambo (even though it’s considered one resort). You can find availability charts to help get a better handle on what’s historically available at seven months here: https://www.dvchelp.com/page/how-do-the-charts-work
Interesting I would of thought the monorail resorts would be the most. So it would be better to buy a contract somewhere else to get more points for the money, and then just move to AKL at 7 months?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom