Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

THECARISMINE

I personally know 3 people from New York who are in Disney right now. All of them were somehow able to snag park reservations today too. One is a travel agent and the other 2 are from separate vacation club families. I've been watching 2 of them on Instagram all day in a dual of nostalgia and concerned astonishment. It's not a surprise, but clearly no one is checking for that 14 day quarantine they are pretending to uphold down there. Any idea that the parks' reopening won't have an effect on further spread elsewhere is an irresponsible oversight of the sirens call that is Disney in the summer.

It's gonna get sadder before it gets better because everyone is only selectively following the rules that are convenient to them.

Lilofan

I personally know 3 people from New York who are in Disney right now. All of them were somehow able to snag park reservations today too. One is a travel agent and the other 2 are from separate vacation club families. I've been watching 2 of them on Instagram all day in a dual of nostalgia and concerned astonishment. It's not a surprise, but clearly no one is checking for that 14 day quarantine they are pretending to uphold down there. Any idea that the parks' reopening won't have an effect on further spread elsewhere is an irresponsible oversight of the sirens call that is Disney in the summer.

It's gonna get sadder before it gets better because everyone is only selectively following the rules that are convenient to them.
14 day quarantine for Disney to check prior to entering the parks? It just looks good on paper.

Stitch826

As stated many times on this forum, they are trying to figure this out.
"The Atlantic" published an article on July 9 with several interesting points surrounding this. As much as I don't want to sound like the President here, a lot can be explained by the increase in testing. The article stated that the median age of COVID-19 cases in Florida fell from 65 in March to 35 in June. It goes on to state that data from multiple countries shows that the death rate from the disease for people over 70 is a hundred times greater than for people under 40. Relating to increased testing, in April only the most sick patients received tests because of a lack of supply. Now that almost anyone can go out and get tested, the tests are coming back positive for those with mild or no visible symptoms.

DisneyYorkian74

why Florida in particular is seeing such a higher number of total cases than border states.

Just based off pure anecdotal evidence that I’ve seen this past month in my area of the state is that many Floridians are moving and living about as if the virus doesn’t exist.

Outside of the masks that you’ll see in stores like Target & Walmart, reduced operating business hours, and very few public places like public pools closed - everything else is pretty much open for business, and business as usual.

Some places and stores may limit capacity, others do not. Parks, playgrounds, beaches, theme parks and gyms are busy with indoor dancing and cycling classes resuming, and no masks required.

My family & I were just invited to a graduation party this Sunday...

There’s no clear messaging nor leadership coming from the state, so people are more or less doing what they want - contributing to the virus spread.

mickeymiss

Various studies have reported a low transmission rate in the casual community. Anecdotal evidence points to that too. Some of us posted several studies many weeks ago that also showed a fairly low transmission rate in your own household. I think it matters a great deal to give residents more than just numbers ASAP. What happened to facts not fear?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
So many experts here whose information is based solely on the "experts" of agencies and media outlets who have yet to be anywhere near accurate with their own predictions.

And forget about the completely slanted coverage that hardly every mentions recovery rates, that would be silly to remind people of. Grandma MIGHT die!!!!

disneygeek90

I know some scoffed at it, but I think a couple weeks of Florida residents only could have worked well.

Stitch826

Just based off pure anecdotal evidence that I’ve seen this past month in my area of the state is that many Floridians are moving and living about as if the virus doesn’t exist.

Outside of the masks that you’ll see in stores like Target & Walmart, reduced operating business hours, and very few public places like public pools closed - everything else is pretty much open for business, and business as usual.

Some places and stores may limit capacity, others do not. Parks, playgrounds, beaches, theme parks and gyms are busy with indoor dancing and cycling classes resuming, and no masks required.

My family & I were just invited to a graduation party this Sunday...

There’s no clear messaging nor leadership coming from the state, so people are more or less doing what they want - contributing to the virus spread.
Where I live at least, the public message coming from the governor and the state department of health was "flatten the curve". The goal was to prevent too many people from contracting COVID-19 at the same time and not having enough hospital beds/ventilators/doctors/nurses/etc. to accommodate them. Unless a vaccine is developed, the virus will spread. Given the number of people who have tested positive with few or no symptoms, you or a family member may have already had it.

JoeCamel

Various studies have reported a low transmission rate in the casual community. Anecdotal evidence points to that too. Some of us posted several studies many weeks ago that also showed a fairly low transmission rate in your own household. I think it matters a great deal to give residents more than just numbers ASAP. What happened to facts not fear?
So the trifold increase in cases is due to the low transmission rate??

Casper Gutman

Where I live at least, the public message coming from the governor and the state department of health was "flatten the curve". The goal was to prevent too many people from contracting COVID-19 at the same time and not having enough hospital beds/ventilators/doctors/nurses/etc. to accommodate them. Unless a vaccine is developed, the virus will spread. Given the number of people who have tested positive with few or no symptoms, you or a family member may have already had it.
The other major point of flattening the curve was to produce more PPE and, most importantly, to develop a plan for dealing with the crisis in the medium- and long-term. We did not do that. Until we are willing to get serious, be consistent about messaging, and develop a plan, periodic lockdowns will be necessary.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I've been enjoying watching the lifestylers / vloggers who are soooo concerned and critical of Disney for not having more strict mandates of distancing and mask wearing enforcement for everybody's safety, yet they are in the Parks so they can get those views on social media and get paid. Such compassion for "everybody's" safety. Smh.

oceanbreeze77

It will be interesting to see what Disney news the new week will bring.

Also...do you think the negative press from this weekend will impact their stock at opening?

mickeymiss

So the trifold increase in cases is due to the low transmission rate??

I'm looking for context within the case numbers because we literally don't know. They could all be explained by EXTREMELY close contact versus casual. It's important and the studies stated that it's much harder to transmit among strangers (like many other viruses). Let's get a closer look at this transmission. If it takes time, fine. I just hope they share what they are finding.

mickeymiss

I've been enjoying watching the lifestylers / vloggers who are soooo concerned and critical of Disney for not having more strict mandates of distancing and mask wearing enforcement for everybody's safety, yet they are in the Parks so they can get those views on social media and get paid. Such compassion for "everybody's" safety. Smh.

Tim Tracker and his wife seemed very hesitant to visit any theme parks back when Florida wasn't having a spike like this but he's been going and went to Disney. He seems to have resorted to family vlogs during the shut down. Is there that much pressure on Disney vloggers to go when it opens? I wouldn't know. I watch them selectively. That guy from Dis Unplugged seemed pretty skittish about covid when UO opened but he's been there a lot and went to Disney last week too. I could even see the Disney sparkle in his eye despite the mask 😉

lazyboy97o

I'm looking for context within the case numbers because we literally don't know. They could all be explained by EXTREMELY close contact versus casual. It's important and the studies stated that it's much harder to transmit among strangers (like many other viruses). Let's get a closer look at this transmission. If it takes time, fine. I just hope they share what they are finding.
It gets easier when you increase interactions and infections...

drod1985

Tim Tracker and his wife seemed very hesitant to visit any theme parks back when Florida wasn't having a spike like this but he's been going and went to Disney. He seems to have resorted to family vlogs during the shut down. Is there that much pressure on Disney vloggers to go when it opens?

I don't watch much of his content, but a quick perusal of his YouTube videos shows that Disney videos from four months ago were in the +200k view range. The family vlogs were 50-130k views. Videos from park reopenings took him right back up to +200k.

He probably gets a bit over $100 per every 100k views, so yeah, videos at the parks make him significantly more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom