News Magic Kingdom July 2020 reopening reports

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There are three things going on:

1. At one extreme, people vehemently calling for everything in Florida to shut down because of "the numbers." You should see the Twitter feed for MLS and NBA filled with people Tweeting to cancel and how unsafe it is there. (IMO, the bubble the leagues set up is safer than my trips to the grocery store.) But there is the CANCEL NOW cult out there.

2. And at the other extreme, people vehement against any economic slow down or shut down. We've been seeing them all along on these forums and the news. Some seem motivated simply by not wanting to wear a face mask ever. These are the OPEN NOW cult.

3. Then there is the middle. Trying to be open but with as much layered safety as reasonably possible. In the middle, too, is Carlye who wants WDW to be open, but is calling out a break in the safety protocol. It's the same kind of break we saw a day or two earlier with a crowd outside of 7DMT. That crowding problem was fixed. And I'm sure today's problem will be fixed. But, I think it's right to call out WDW for not having enough staff or training of staff to watch out for unexpected SNAFUs and to immediately try to fix it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are three things going on:

1. At one extreme, people vehemently calling for everything in Florida to shut down because of "the numbers." You should see the Twitter feed for MLS and NBA filled with people Tweeting to cancel and how unsafe it is there. (IMO, the bubble the leagues set up is safer than my trips to the grocery store.) But there is the CANCEL NOW cult out there.

2. And at the other extreme, people vehement against any economic slow down or shut down. We've been seeing them all along on these forums and the news. Some seem motivated simply by not wanting to wear a face mask ever. These are the OPEN NOW cult.

3. Then there is the middle. Trying to be open but with as much layered safety as reasonably possible. In the middle, too, is Carlye who wants WDW to be open, but is calling out a break in the safety protocol. It's the same kind of break we saw a day or two earlier with a crowd outside of 7DMT. That crowding problem was fixed. And I'm sure today's problem will be fixed. But, I think it's right to call out WDW for not having enough staff or training of staff to watch out for unexpected SNAFUs and to immediately try to fix it.
I have no clue how anyone isn’t on team #3 at this point?

How?

TrainsOfDisney

But, I think it's right to call out WDW for not having enough staff or training of staff to watch out for unexpected SNAFUs and to immediately try to fix it.

Exactly. And both should have been planned. “If there is a major ticketing issue that causes a line of x number of people immediately begin this process”

That’s something that should have been planned for and part of the training and managers should have been watching closely.

I’m not condemning Disney for anything... it’s their PR image, not mine. But that’s a major mistake to make at the entrance on day 1 imho.

oceanbreeze77

I'm wondering if something they need to look at is controlling how many people are allowed in one land at a time. For example, Fantasyland is ALWAYS crowded, no matter how empty the park is that day.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Exactly. And both should have been planned. “If there is a major ticketing issue that causes a line of x number of people immediately begin this process”

That’s something that should have been planned for and part of the training and managers should have been watching closely.

I’m not condemning Disney for anything... it’s their PR image, not mine. But that’s a major mistake to make at the entrance on day 1 imho.
I question the decision not to remote scan the tickets at hotels/parking prior to arrival.

It eliminates a large bottle neck to allow for smaller, more manageable ones at other points.

The reason? Staff cost...mostly

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The depth of view of the camera makes it look more crowded than reality. Just look at the kids of the people in blue with heart flag shirts. If you don't look at their feet it looks like they are right on top of each other but the kids are several feet behind them.
I flipped through a live stream that’s been going for a few hours. Looked good overall as far as spacing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Do you have some charts or fringe “studies” to back that up?

Wait, did someone say 'charts'? You *know* that's my jam!!...

This Is bad. Looks like a regular offseason day
View attachment 482936

There's about 23 people in that picture. Some are in pairs, and there is obviously a family of 7. So, let's say there are 10 'households' (people who don't have to be socially distant from one another) in that picture.

They cover 2,631 square feet. That's 260 square feet per household.

Distancing protocols are perfectly being complied with.

1594491074921.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom