Extra magic hours

SG_51

Original Poster
So I was wanting to plan a trip maybe in 2022, or later depending on how it looks with this covid stuff down the line. The last time I went to Disney world was 5 or 6 years ago so I don't know how much has changed. But I saw somewhere that extra magic hours has been reduced compared to the past. The last time I went to the parks was during the summer and the extra magic hours would go until 1 or 2 AM for magic kingdom. I'm reading that now most days in the summer close at 10 or 11 pm. What have the extra magic hours been like these past few years during the summer? If it seems like they've cut down on the hours is it even worth staying at one of their resorts? I used to think that was one of the best perks.

RememberWhen

Currently they are not planning to have EMH during the “reopening period” however long that is.

but...
We have gotten great use of the early magic hours. If you can be there at rope drop you can get so so much done. We were there Christmas week in 2018 and got more done in those first 2 hours at MK than the rest of the day. We have little kids so skipped the late hours, but I know people love that last hour when they can do rides in the park with minimal waits.
All that being said, EMH aren't the reason my family stays on property. They are a great perk, but if that was the only benefit there are many cheaper options nearby.

KaliSplash

yes, they generally have shortened extra magic hours at MK in recent years. Or, perhaps more accurately, they close the park early so that extra magic hours end earlier. As noted above, there will be no extra magic hours during the reopening. We don't know how long that will last. But the general approach at Mickey's House for a number of years has been to slice the pie thinner And charge more per slice.

NelleBelle

We last stayed in 2018 during June and the EMH definitely were not late. We've started doing DLR more frequently as they tend to have later hours (even on non-busy times of the year you can often find hours regularly until midnight, 1am). But like @RememberWhen stated, it's not necessarily why we stay on property (used to be since we loved the late EMH since we aren't really early risers). But if you can get up early and do rope drop, you can get quite a bit done early!

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Starting in 2012 is when they started cutting back on EMH. It went from 3 hours to 2 hours at night.
They then started to reduce how often each park had EMH.
Prior to shutting down EMH was 1 park per day either morning or evening. An example from what I recall was the norm... MK had evening EMH for 2 hours on Wednesday''s, EPCOT had morning EMH from 8am-9am on Thrusday's, MK had morning EMH from 8am-9am on Fridays.
One of the main reasons for this reduction was the increase in pay to play events like EMM and DAH particularly at MK and HS.
Once the parks reopen there will be no EMH for now.
My sister and I enjoy the morning EMH and find it worth it.

NickMaio

So I was wanting to plan a trip maybe in 2022, or later depending on how it looks with this covid stuff down the line. The last time I went to Disney world was 5 or 6 years ago so I don't know how much has changed. But I saw somewhere that extra magic hours has been reduced compared to the past. The last time I went to the parks was during the summer and the extra magic hours would go until 1 or 2 AM for magic kingdom. I'm reading that now most days in the summer close at 10 or 11 pm. What have the extra magic hours been like these past few years during the summer? If it seems like they've cut down on the hours is it even worth staying at one of their resorts? I used to think that was one of the best perks.
Not the greatest..........midnight if you get a lucky week or two.

NickMaio

yes, they generally have shortened extra magic hours at MK in recent years. Or, perhaps more accurately, they close the park early so that extra magic hours end earlier. As noted above, there will be no extra magic hours during the reopening. We don't know how long that will last. But the general approach at Mickey's House for a number of years has been to slice the pie thinner And charge more per slice.
Mmmmmmm, that's good pie though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom