Maybe Disney is Not that Good at Customer Service

Miss Bella

I dont understand why so many people even want to go to Disney right now. At a time to distance and critical numbers rising, why not just put your Disney vacation off until a later time. Even if the crowds are not the norm with percentages lower, do you really want to be in a mix with people from all over the world - coming in on planes or cruise ships. Give it a rest and let the state (world) heal before waiting at the gate.
Hello....cruise ships aren't operating,

Miss Bella

My mother in law used to say that if Disney was in charge of running this or that it would be great and efficient, because of how well they run their parks. Today I am skeptical. I think the way they have dealt with this phased reopen and reservation of the parks has been a disaster. Trying to call into customer service has been a joke, they have no chat features, knowing they were going to have a high volume there are a number of ways this could have been handled better, first and foremost having enough reps online to help. Second, maybe there could have been a system in place where only people with a valid resort reservation number would be patched through? I have a reservation for November but no way to buy tickets for the parks and thus no guarantee I will even be able to go to the parks once I can buy tix. I don't know but this whole thing is really a bit of a turn off.
A lot of people have spent hours and hours on hold only to have their call dropped. It took me 400 tries just to get through and two hours on hold only to be told to call back the next day. Five hours to make park reservations. Anyone that doesn't know what has gone on needs to visit other threads or maybe a more active board. It's been a hot mess, to say the least.

NelleBelle

It’s too bad that everyone who already had resort reservations has gotten stuck with bad service, from the first day you could go online and make park reservations, it looks a hot mess. And then reading about the phone issues who be enough to make me seriously reconsider keeping my reservation but heaven help you try and call to cancel it 😬 But it was sure easy as pie if you wanted to make a 2021 reservation—just go online, choose your date, pick your ticket options, pay, and reserve your parks! Craziest thing ever!

Phonedave

These people expect Disney to have an extra 20 people on call without paying any kind of premium - so no, they don’t get it.

It is also not as easy as Saying on a Monday "we need 50 more people" hiring them, and have them working from home later that week.

When you are dealing with things like credit cards, home addresses, and other sensitive information, the privacy laws themselves are a huge process. Add California into the mix and it's ever changing CCPA compliance laws and it is a real mess. Depending on Disney's agreements with credit card companies, certain information can and cannot be sent in the clear. Home based workers may need to be on company owned equipment, and may be required to get into Disney systems via a VPN - which again takes time to set up.

IF there is an emergency where life and property are at stake, then stakeholders tend to forgive bending the rules to save lives. But, depsite what people think, having excessive hold times does not constitute an amergency.

NickMaio

My mother in law used to say that if Disney was in charge of running this or that it would be great and efficient, because of how well they run their parks. Today I am skeptical. I think the way they have dealt with this phased reopen and reservation of the parks has been a disaster. Trying to call into customer service has been a joke, they have no chat features, knowing they were going to have a high volume there are a number of ways this could have been handled better, first and foremost having enough reps online to help. Second, maybe there could have been a system in place where only people with a valid resort reservation number would be patched through? I have a reservation for November but no way to buy tickets for the parks and thus no guarantee I will even be able to go to the parks once I can buy tix. I don't know but this whole thing is really a bit of a turn off.
Sounds like Home Depot.
They dropped the ball big time.....

HongKongFooy

there is a pandemic on, many people are not working as they are ill, reducing the number of call handlers, while at the same time they have more people than normal trying to make contact.

Nope,
I'm not giving you that.

There are millions not working that could have been trained quickly to staff the phone lines creating a mini call center task force..............absolutely inexcusable considering the easily predicted volume of potential call ins to not dramatically ramp up.

Jon81uk

Nope,
I'm not giving you that.

There are millions not working that could have been trained quickly to staff the phone lines creating a mini call center task force..............absolutely inexcusable considering the easily predicted volume of potential call ins to not dramatically ramp up.

it’s not as easy as just saying start work Monday, they need a budget approved for more staff, to recruit them and check they are capable via interview/assesment, then train them.
also have you seen the threads about redundancies, they do not want to increase their wage bill in current circumstances.

HongKongFooy

they need a budget approved for more staff, to recruit them and check they are capable via interview/assesment, then train them.
also have you seen the threads about redundancies, they do not want to increase their wage bill in current circumstances.

Of course all of us know or should know that.... I've already factored that in and still find Disney grossly ill prepared.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Of course all of us know or should know that.... I've already factored that in and still find Disney grossly ill prepared.
What I find interesting is they found a way to make it easy for DVC members to add points to a contract(something that would be thousands of dollars) if they want, a special limited time deal...done on the site and not there pre covid...but something that helps add tix for dvc members with trips planned? Nada.

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

It’s too bad that everyone who already had resort reservations has gotten stuck with bad service, from the first day you could go online and make park reservations, it looks a hot mess. And then reading about the phone issues who be enough to make me seriously reconsider keeping my reservation but heaven help you try and call to cancel it 😬 But it was sure easy as pie if you wanted to make a 2021 reservation—just go online, choose your date, pick your ticket options, pay, and reserve your parks! Craziest thing ever!
If you can easily make a 2021 reservation online, can a customer also cancel their existing reservation at the same time? So...while online they might accomplish both tasks simultaneously?

ValerieVvv

Chat said they could not help me at all. I spent 7 hours on the phone and spoke to 3 different people. We called months ago and extended our passes. They extended my kids passes - but not mine! My kids have reservations in August. I do not! They said it would be fixed in 24 hours - it is not. The park is sold out now for when my kids have reservations.
I can not get through on the number.
I get emails back that seem to be Robo emails - they are working on requests...
Today my daughter got an email
About dining reservations since our June reservations was cancelled.
I guess my kids go into the park and I wait outside if the gate looking sad!
I have spent the last 3 days working in this.
very frustrated

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Showing me an article from March?? Really?? That's your proof?? Gotta do better than that.
It was to show how they have dealt with this from the beginning. Listen I realize this is not a make or break issue in life, but at the same time if you're served a crappy meal with bad service in a nice restaurant, do you just shrug and say, well aren't I just lucky to be sitting here?
Am I no longer entitled to decent customer service from a company that is already holding several thousand dollars of my money? Is this a life changing thing, no I of course recognize that, but I can also call out their handling of guests right now.
My guess why it's been hard to get through, what they are currently doing is keeping guests(and their money) in a holding pattern, because they don't want to tell them, they are overbooked by current COVID measures and would have to turn away guests if they all showed up in a few months to their reservations. So instead they hope enough guests just cancel on their own or that the allowed room capacity will expand. I would prefer just more honestly is all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom