Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoysCabin

An innocent intention does not necessarily mean that it is not guilty.
Yeah, that's a part I think people mistake: racism does not require malicious, bigoted intent in order to exist. A person, group, or institution can be doing that they think is perfectly right and fair in a given situation, yet be motivated by thoughts or beliefs that are informed by racially-based societal biases.

But when many of us hear "racist", we assume it has to be referring to a person wearing a pointed white hood and making fascist hand signs. Sadly, it's not that easy; if it was, then racism wouldn't be a concern anymore, since the main perpetrators could be singled out as individuals. But it exists on a wider cultural level, and even the best intentioned people can do something that propagates racially biased or charged beliefs, sometimes without even realizing it. That stinks, but it doesn't curse someone to being a terrible person; it just means it's on us, particularly those of us in populations that tend to be more advantaged than others, to do our best to be aware of the impact our words and actions can have on others.

Huh, guess that last part comes off as some real "everything I need to know I learned in kindergarten" stuff, but there you go.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

I understand WHY Disney is making this change. But of all the movie choices to choose from, they chose PATF? “Pocahontas”, as other pointed out, has its own issues that some may criticize. What about a more popular and well-known Disney movie? Given the length of the ride and the fact that it’s a water ride, “Lilo and Stitch” could have been the theme. Fill the ride with music from the movie, with “Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride” playing before and after the drop. And given that it likely won’t be finished until at least 2022 (my guess), the timing would coincide with the film’s 20th anniversary.
There is a ton of water in PatF, and is river based rather than ocean. They spend nearly the entire movie in and around the bayou. Much better fit IMO.

Horizons1

I really understand the conflicting sentiment inside many people in regards to this change. But, the closest I can come to explaining why I find Splash to be different is this. China is not inherently problematic. Germany is not inherently problematic. The Disney version of Sleeping Beauty is not inherently problematic. All have a couple of details that could be deemed problematic (In the grand scheme of things). Song of the South is very inherently problematic.

I'm not saying that everyone against this change is racist. In fact, i'd say that is very untrue. Nostalgia is strong factor at play here that I am trying very hard not to forget. However, if you can't see some of the problematic portrayals, then you are in a position of privilege that enables you not to see it. I've ridden Splash Mountain with a variety of people, of a variety of backgrounds. Almost universally, once Brer Rabbit started talking in the African-American vernacular, most cringed.
Uh oh. You’re using privilege! Sorry. You’re gonna need a better argument than a liberal buzzword.

Communicore

It could very well just be me, but I have a feeling that the MK version would be “on the cheap” in the grand tradition of TDO. What about the land that it’s on, Louisiana is next to Arizona now, I guess?

durangojim

Why not PATF? That movie meant a lot to a lot of people. Changing a ride based on a movie with racially insensitive elements towards black people to a movie featuring their only black princess is so BA and empowering.
I think PATF is a great movie. I just wish they would have made a new ride instead of destroying a great one that brings many many guests joy.

Joel

Anyone know if this also means the end of Zip A Dee Doo Dah being played by Disney?
It has to go. I don't know how they could rationalize continuing to use it after this.

A classic Disney song gone forever. Sad, but that's progress, I guess.

milordsloth

To all the people who laugh at those “crying at a theme park ride”, I’d like to imagine how you’d feel if Haunted Mansion was replaced with a Luigi’s Mansion Ride. (Replace Mansion with whatever your favourite ride is)

If Haunted Mansion were to ever change, Luigi's Mansion would be perfect haha

durangojim

I really understand the conflicting sentiment inside many people in regards to this change. But, the closest I can come to explaining why I find Splash to be different is this. China is not inherently problematic. Germany is not inherently problematic. The Disney version of Sleeping Beauty is not inherently problematic. All have a couple of details that could be deemed problematic (In the grand scheme of things). Song of the South is very inherently problematic.

I'm not saying that everyone against this change is racist. In fact, i'd say that is very untrue. Nostalgia is strong factor at play here that I am trying very hard not to forget. However, if you can't see some of the problematic portrayals, then you are in a position of privilege that enables you not to see it. I've ridden Splash Mountain with a variety of people, of a variety of backgrounds. Almost universally, once Brer Rabbit started talking in the African-American vernacular, most cringed.
I would argue that the “African-American vernacular” is racist and offensive along with what most African-Americans don’t sound like.

BigDlover

I think PATF is a great movie. I just wish they would have made a new ride instead of destroying a great one that brings many many guests joy.
I would love an original PATF ride but like I said before, I love that Disney is replacing SOTS, their own movie that was racially insensitive towards black people, with their only black princess movie. It speaks volumes. The public didn't want to celebrate that movie anymore so Disney answered that by celebrating their black princess movie. So cool.

And if it wasn't PATF, it would have been another movie. I get that people are sad that a classic ride is being changed but it's happening and PATF is a great fit.

Brer Oswald

If Haunted Mansion were to ever change, Luigi's Mansion would be perfect haha
I’d be down with it cause it’s an IP I’m personally invested in. Many would not. But that being said, I don’t really care for Mansion to begin with.

If Disney has announced Banjo-Kazooie, an IP I absolutely adore, as the retheme for Splash, I’d still be devastated.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So your argument is that even if the material isn’t racist the source must be? Because of the time period and a tar baby the film is racist? And even though none of these racist elements are in the ride the ride itself is racist because Brer Fox is a white slave owner in some racist person’s mind who would rather find problems where none exist?Makes total sense.

I just said "even if the cartoon segments don't contain any racist elements.."

So why are you saying that I'm saying Br'er Fox is a White slave owner. I didn't say that.

Matt7187

So your argument is that even if the material isn’t racist the source must be? Because of the time period and a tar baby the film is racist? And even though none of these racist elements are in the ride the ride itself is racist because Brer Fox is a white slave owner in some racist person’s mind who would rather find problems where none exist?Makes total sense.
Just because you are either unable or unwilling to do the critical thinking that draws this connection does not mean that it doesn’t exist.

BigDlover

We as Disney park fans know this ride has ties To Song of the Soith.

But honestly, without following the parks, who would know / associate the ride with that film?

Who out of us, as Disney fans, has watched that film?

What proportion of the general public in 2020, have watched that film?

I’m not saying ignorance is bliss, but prior to coming on here I would not have made that link between film and ride, and never have I rode it thinking, ”this is cool, but it’s based on a (unquestionably) dodgy film
Interesting. Maybe bc I've been a big Disney fan for so long now that I've always understood that about the ride and was reminded about it every time I went on. I have seen the movie btw.

Brer Oswald

I just said "even if the cartoon segments don't contain any racist elements.."

So why are you saying that I'm saying Br'er Fox is a White slave owner. I didn't say that.
So should Runaway Railway be replaced because several Mickey cartoons were racist? If we are using “problematic source material” as the reason for change, logic would apply there too.

Why is Mickey safe, but Brer Rabbit isn’t? Is it simply because “he’s Mickey”? To which, from a business perspective, that makes sense. But from a moral perspective, it’s still wrong, and makes this whole thing seem rather half hearted.

Tom Morrow

Look I get it, the source material is very problematic. But the virtue signalling is out of control over this. "Oh, you like (classic and beloved Disney ride) Splash Mountain? What are you, raaciiiist?"

Please, everyone, separate that I can love a ride about a singing rabbit being chased by a hungry fox and bear without also saying "I see nothing wrong with the depiction of black people in the film 'Song of the South".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom