The effect of J-1 visa issuance suspension and World Showcase CM's

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just my curiosity, but since the Trump administration has suspended issuance of J-1 visas, which are one of the two main kinds of visas issued to World Showcase CM's (the other being Q-1), I'm curious what kind of long-term effect this may have on the parks - specifically Epcot - returning to a semblance of normalcy.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It's going to be rather weird if Jeff from New Jersey is serving my pint at the Rose and Crown next year instead of Geoff from Jersey.

As long as Gavin is there serving drinks, my wife and I will be happy. :)

I'm guessing this could have a lasting impact. Sadly.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Just my curiosity, but since the Trump administration has suspended issuance of J-1 visas, which are one of the two main kinds of visas issued to World Showcase CM's (the other being Q-1), I'm curious what kind of long-term effect this may have on the parks - specifically Epcot - returning to a semblance of normalcy.
Might want to do a bit more reading... J-1 visas for academics will likely exempted. From this article on Nature.com...
The freeze, which goes into effect on 24 June, will not apply to people who are currently in the United States, or those with other valid documents for entering the country. It provides exemptions for some foreign workers — academics on J-1 visas, often postdoctoral researchers, should be clear, according to a senior administration official. Officers issuing visas at US consulates abroad will evaluate petitions for other exemptions, including requests from researchers or doctors engaged in COVID-19 work.

DVCakaCarlF

Might want to do a bit more reading... J-1 visas for academics will likely exempted. From this article on Nature.com...
The freeze, which goes into effect on 24 June, will not apply to people who are currently in the United States, or those with other valid documents for entering the country. It provides exemptions for some foreign workers — academics on J-1 visas, often postdoctoral researchers, should be clear, according to a senior administration official. Officers issuing visas at US consulates abroad will evaluate petitions for other exemptions, including requests from researchers or doctors engaged in COVID-19 work.
You expect people to actually read past the headlines?!?!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster

None of which are Epcot World Showcase CM's - they're there under cultural exchange.

Also, the vast majority of those CM's were let go and went back home. They'd need to hire new ones.

DVCakaCarlF

None of which are Epcot World Showcase CM's - they're there under cultural exchange.

Also, the vast majority of those CM's were let go and went back home. They'd need to hire new ones.
I would argue that there will be a hospitality/tourism exemption.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Well, I expect a J-1 exemption request for "cultural exchange" will be favorably considered, especially when you drop the Disney label on it.

Let's put it this way -- I'd be shocked if they don't get exemptions. They're not taking jobs away from Americans, since those jobs were established specifically to hire natives from the lands being showcased.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom