WDW 50th crazy??

Wendylet

So I had a trip planned for Oct 2020 but we had to cancel (9 of us) due to the wonderful unexpected news of a baby boy who would be joining our family at the same time! Needless to say we are looking at rebooking. I am wondering how crazy you all feel WDW is likely to be in October 2021 Due to the 50th celebrations. We were looking at two weeks starting Oct 8. Trying to stay away from the actual Oct 1 anniversary date. We will have four little ones with us and standing in great long lines for hours at a time will likely cause a lot of tears, also for the adults as well!! Should we even attempt to do this and not sure if we could get the point rentals we would need as well. Another option is to push it to the following spring in May or June. That’s so far away!! Help!

RememberWhen

Congrats on the new baby! Such a happy reason to have to change plans. It’s so hard to say right now what the parks are going to be like, but hopefully by then FP in some form will be back and you won’t have to put masks on the littles. We’re looking at a mid-October trip with a pretty large group. Maybe it will be busier, but I don’t expect it to be so bad that we will wish we hadn’t gone.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
Thanks for your thoughts. If I can ask are you planning October specifically for the 50th anniversary celebrations or did that date just happen to work out best for such a large group. Trying to get some perspective on how people are thinking!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

No one can tell yet how the closures and financial losses and possible continued virus hits may affect Disneys 50th plans. But lets say theres no issues or further delays with their plans, then even with avoiding the actual 10/1 date youd still be hitting the crowds. Those first weeks and months going into the 50th celebration will be a big draw from the interest from special events and newly opened attractions.
If lines and waits are an issue, you might want to rethink the timing. But realize that pre-virus concerns the parks had almost non existing slow times and lines and waits were present no matter which month you wanted to visit. If we get back to those days, everyone will again have to plan well and have patience no matter what age.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

Thanks for your thoughts. If I can ask are you planning October specifically for the 50th anniversary celebrations or did that date just happen to work out best for such a large group. Trying to get some perspective on how people are thinking!
We had a big trip planned in July with a few days at Wilderness Lodge, a Disney Cruise then a week at Boardwalk. There are 17 of us. So, the cruise got canceled. Then we canceled everything else. The cruise we rescheduled for February, but the resort stuff is harder to reschedule in the same way. Some of us will go before the cruise in Feb. some of us over Christmas this year. Some next October. Probably.
October was picked in part for the 50th, plus it works out with school stuff for kids. I think October will be 13-15 people depending on how many of my sisters end up with new babies...
We’ve all been going to Disney since we were kids, so we’re able to get around and know what we like to do. We also don’t mind missing stuff when it’s busy and kids are tired.
If you can be prepared for crowds I think you’ll be fine.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
Wow that sounds like a lot of fun. Such a big group! We will definitely give some thought to going in October. It’s so hard when the kids are so little to know how they will adapt to the crowds and long waits. They would be 6, 4, 2 and 1. Perhaps waiting over this summer will give us more insight into how they might hold up. There is definitely one with “ants in his pants” for sure. Thank you for the info and I hope your trip works out wonderfully and everyone stays healthy!

Upvote 0

DreamalittleDisney

Second half of October is becoming really popular with UK visitors.. lots of trips from here are being postponed until next year already ... not sure how many of them will actually realise its the 50th as well though...

Upvote 0

AugieMorosco

I'm so curious how it works with that many people. I usually travel with just my wife. I've done trips with my wife and father (both Disney and non - Disney), met up with friends for shows or dinner in Vegas, New York. That sort of thing. But traveling with 9+ people is a whole other world to me. How much do you coordinate with the group and how much is planned on your own?

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
I'm so curious how it works with that many people. I usually travel with just my wife. I've done trips with my wife and father (both Disney and non - Disney), met up with friends for shows or dinner in Vegas, New York. That sort of thing. But traveling with 9+ people is a whole other world to me. How much do you coordinate with the group and how much is planned on your own?
We will do a lot of planning ahead of time and with all three families. Since this is a gift from us parents to our two daughters and families we want them all to be happy. Probably pretty crazy huh? Will plan resort days as well as dining that suits everyone but will bear in mind that children have different interests and needs so we will have to be flexible once there. It will be a challenge but we are so looking forward to it!

Upvote 0

Stitch826

So I had a trip planned for Oct 2020 but we had to cancel (9 of us) due to the wonderful unexpected news of a baby boy who would be joining our family at the same time! Needless to say we are looking at rebooking. I am wondering how crazy you all feel WDW is likely to be in October 2021 Due to the 50th celebrations. We were looking at two weeks starting Oct 8. Trying to stay away from the actual Oct 1 anniversary date. We will have four little ones with us and standing in great long lines for hours at a time will likely cause a lot of tears, also for the adults as well!! Should we even attempt to do this and not sure if we could get the point rentals we would need as well. Another option is to push it to the following spring in May or June. That’s so far away!! Help!
Nobody, probably not even the top decision makers at Disney, knows what 2021 will look like right now. Assuming that the parks (and the country) are back to relative normalcy, I’d be willing to bet that Disney will be packed most of next year. There’s the 50th anniversary celebrations that people have been looking forward to. Combine that with the number of guests who cancelled their 2020 vacation plans and the parks likely will be filled to capacity, whether that capacity is limited by Disney because of the pandemic or whether it’s their normal capacity.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom