Back to the Future vs The Simpsons ride

Which is the best ride?

• Back to the future the ride

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • The Simpsons ride

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Not everything has to last forever. Back to the Future was solid, but it had a good run. Simpsons ended up being a worthy replacement, as is equally fun.

Universal is good about recognizing which attractions have had a good run. (They're still holding off on Poseidon's Fury & ET Adventure, to my relief though. Phew!)

Tom Morrow

The actual Back to the Future ride is remembered fondly but was very cheesy and outdated at the end of its life. However, an upgraded Back to the Future would have been preferable to The Simpsons Ride. I find Simpsons Ride to be among the worst at UOR, the facade and queue are gross and dirty, and whether or not you'll have a decent ride is very hit or miss depending on where you're placed and how well the audio in your vehicle is tuned. I've had some rides that were so quiet it was just awkward.

Jon81uk

The Simpsons queue gags are possibly better than the actual ride, but from memory Back to the Future wasn't all that much better as an actual ride. I think its getting close to demolition for the ride entirely, but I'm not sure what would be best as a replacement, as the Simpsons area is worth keeping, it just needs a new centrepiece ride.

ryguy

I like the Simpson's ride. But I think it effects people who suffer from vertigo/motion issues. I have few friends/family members who say this particular ride really messes with them.

lebeau

Universal's use of the Simpson's rights expires in 2028. With Disney now being the IP owner and given the age/condition of the ride system, I just don't see Universal re-upping on the rights.

Has that been confirmed anywhere. I have read the Marvel contract but the Simpsons one has been shrouded in mystery. I have heard it expires but no one seems to agree as to when.

If 2028 is the correct year, no I can't see them extending the contract. Disney will ask for a lot more money and the show is way past its prime already.

Ugh. That probably means a very Disneyfied take on The Simpsons in 2030-something.

JoeCamel

Has that been confirmed anywhere. I have read the Marvel contract but the Simpsons one has been shrouded in mystery. I have heard it expires but no one seems to agree as to when.

If 2028 is the correct year, no I can't see them extending the contract. Disney will ask for a lot more money and the show is way past its prime already.

Ugh. That probably means a very Disneyfied take on The Simpsons in 2030-something.
20 year run on the contract I think. Best rumor out there without seeing the contract.

Animaniac93-98

Universal's use of the Simpson's rights expires in 2028. With Disney now being the IP owner and given the age/condition of the ride system, I just don't see Universal re-upping on the rights.

But with Simpsons helping to push food and merch, I could see them wanting to extend it.

Transforming the food court area into Fast Food Blvd with the Twirl and Hurl ride was a big hit for a minor investment. I'm not sure the cost of switching to another IP would be justified.

Jon81uk

But with Simpsons helping to push food and merch, I could see them wanting to extend it.

Transforming the food court area into Fast Food Blvd with the Twirl and Hurl ride was a big hit for a minor investment. I'm not sure the cost of switching to another IP would be justified.

Yep, I agree the Simpsons are more important to Universal for food and merchandise that the ride.

Although personally I could see Disney doing a similar Simpsons mini area (again mainly focused on dining and retail) in Hollywood Studios, there does seem to be a majority against that idea on this forum. Space-wise it feels harder to fit in now though.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Yep, I agree the Simpsons are more important to Universal for food and merchandise that the ride.

Although personally I could see Disney doing a similar Simpsons mini area (again mainly focused on dining and retail) in Hollywood Studios, there does seem to be a majority against that idea on this forum. Space-wise it feels harder to fit in now though.
Just move the Simpsons Ride over to the Star Tours attraction and turn that and the Backlot Express area to the Kwik-E-Mart and everything.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster

I agree the merchandising for Simpsons at Universal is huge. Personally I see Disney extending the contract with Universal or Universal buying the rights from Disney.

lebeau

I agree the merchandising for Simpsons at Universal is huge. Personally I see Disney extending the contract with Universal or Universal buying the rights from Disney.

I don't see Disney selling theme park rights to anything to Universal. I can see them extending the contract if they have no interest in using The Simpsons in their own parks. Admittedly, I think The Simpsons is a much better fit for Universal but that doesn't mean Disney won't try to force it. I also can't see Universal fighting too hard to keep the license. By 2028, there won't be a lot of juice left to squeeze.

Kate F

I only got to ride Back to the Future once and it was in 2006 at the age of 10. Don’t remember much about it other than I got a bit of motion sickness from it. Plus, I had not seen the films at the time so I had no attachment to the IP. In terms of the theming, I prefer BttF, but I can’t really say if I like the actual ride better than the Simpsons unless there was some way for me to ride it today.

Simpsons isn’t my favorite, but it works for what it is. Sometimes I’ll ride it, but if I skip it it’s no big deal. I’m much more familiar with this version of the attraction than BttF, and though I don’t really have a strong attachment to the Simpsons, I think the area as a whole was a great investment, so I’m fine with the ride sticking around for awhile.

I’ve said it before, but Simpsons has no place in WDW if you ask me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom