Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanUSC

I’m referring to the years of lack of preparation and almost every level to handle something like this.

There was lots of preparation. We got H1N1 under control. Including a massive briefing book on how to handle pandemics. Meanwhile the pandemic response team was fired in 2018 and CDC inspectors in Wuhan were recalled last year. However, this is a conversation for the political forum.

Patcheslee

There's no reason why 10+ weeks later we don't have sufficient testing (with full on transparency) and contact tracing in place. Then we could reopen today and call it a day.
The simplest answer is priorities had to be made and many had to go through a reactive stage because it was changing daily. Even with "pandemic plans" they were in most part based on theory/best practices and it was literally trial by fire. I'm not saying it was the right or wrong was to do things but that's the situation everyone was put in because it was a chain reaction. Testing supplies required chemicals, which were not available due to the virus itself, a normal health department sees very few instances where staff would be overwhelmed with the amount of tracing required. We have 9 staff for a population of 45k in the county, not nearly enough manpower to keep up with tracing.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
No state has the required testing capacity to begin with. Whether people actually get tested is a separate issue. The way you handle people who don't or aren't able to get tested is through robust contact tracing, which we also don't have capacity for.
NY and NJ have excess testing.

Patcheslee

Why do people without symptoms need to be tested anyway?
We finally have the option for an antibodies test in our county. I'll be going next week since had negative flu and strep tests and multiple Covid symptoms in early March. Temped to send the government my doctor bill for the tests of things I didn't have if antibodies show up.

October82

Two reasons come to mind. First, pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic transmission is supported by the data. Second, because of the long incubation time and incomplete testing coverage, contact tracing is key to reducing the overall infection rate. In simple terms, any positive test helps identify those who are symptomatic, even if the positive test is of someone who isn't or never shows symptoms.

Just to clarify, the estimates of the needed number of tests are not based on catching every case. The goal is test "enough" that contact tracing and social distancing can be effective at lowering the overall transmission rate to very low levels.

TrojanUSC

What? This virus is spread the most among people who have no symptoms. If you're walking around feeling fine but infecting other people with a deadly virus, you should probably know you have said virus so you can stay put at home so as not to kill strangers or loved ones.

The ideal scenario is someone gets sick. An actual contact tracer or a digital one allows them to say where they've been and who they've been in CLOSE contact with. These people/places are notified and those people with close interaction are given a test. This allows people who are infected to stay home and not continue spreading. It won't completely eliminate spreading but will drastically reduce it.

We can never have what they have in Shanghai due to privacy concerns, but one of the reasons opening there was easy is because its all digitized. If someone tests positive, the phone networks know who they've been in close contact with over the last X number of days and those people are automatically notified to go get tested.

Miss Bella

We finally have the option for an antibodies test in our county. I'll be going next week since had negative flu and strep tests and multiple Covid symptoms in early March. Temped to send the government my doctor bill for the tests of things I didn't have if antibodies show up.
Why? You recovered. Did you need treatment?

Miss Bella

What? This virus is spread the most among people who have no symptoms. If you're walking around feeling fine but infecting other people with a deadly virus, you should probably know you have said virus so you can stay put at home so as not to kill strangers or loved ones.

The ideal scenario is someone gets sick. An actual contact tracer or a digital one allows them to say where they've been and who they've been in CLOSE contact with. These people/places are notified and those people with close interaction are given a test. This allows people who are infected to stay home and not continue spreading. It won't completely eliminate spreading but will drastically reduce it.

We can never have what they have in Shanghai due to privacy concerns, but one of the reasons opening there was easy is because its all digitized. If someone tests positive, the phone networks know who they've been in close contact with over the last X number of days and those people are automatically notified to go get tested.
So how often should we get tested? I personally do not want to get tested every week.

ImperfectPixie

You would have to test yourself everyday for that. I could test negative today and get it tomorrow. It doesn’t make sense. An antibody test is better, but most of us where I work are coming back negative despite multiple exposures.
You're missing the point. If you randomly test 20,000 people in a specific region, that is an adequate sampling to get a grasp of how many in that area either are or have been infected already. Testing 1000 people in a city with a population of more than 17,000 per square mile isn't enough testing (using a city in MA as an example...because that's what they did).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom