Do you think Buffett style might change.

Giss Neric

Not sure they can return. I mean, what could they do that would make people feel safe eating?
If they can space out dishes and not be close to one another. If one is still getting a particular dish you wait for your turn at the back within a few feet. Limit capacity inside the buffet. Space out tables. It could still work.

On second thought, I realized that different people are still touching the spoons, tongs to get the food. So nope buffets are a no go right now.

Last edited:

MissViv

Will be interesting to see what they do with the buffetts on the cruise boats when they resume operations.

We have cruised quite a bit and Holland America is really our favorite cruise line. Their buffet is set up like the Morrison's where you walk up and point to or tell them what you want and they put it on your plate & hand it over the glass partition and they are also wearing gloves. Same thing for the salad bar. Only the bread and desserts were sitting out for you to select. I am sure this will change. I really do not see cruise ships cruising in August like they are saying.

Royal Carribean's buffet is pretty gross because everyone is just running around with their hands all over the utensils and the food.

MickeyLuv'r

Anybody else remember Piccadilly or Morrison's? I could see being served in that manner.

Shudder...Yes, I remember Morrison's. I HATED Morrison's.

Nothing intrinsically wrong with the place, it's just I was forced to eat there WAY too often.

As I recall, it was a classic, old-school cafeteria. Picture a glass partition and lots of steam vats with an array of hot foods. Also the kind of classic iceberg lettuce salad that comes with exactly 2 cucumbers, 1/4 of a hot house tomato, and a plastic mini Solo-cup of Ken's brand salad dressing, and is served in a white ceramic salad bowl.

Other classic cafeteria foods (though not necessarily Morrison's):
jello, especially jello mixed with canned tropical fruit salad (the kind w/ mystery cubes in assorted shades of orange/off-white)
jello ambrosia salad = jello mixed with canned fruit, cool whip, marshmallows, and coconut; which is as nasty as it sounds.
pudding
meats that sat in steam vats, like meatloaf served with mashed potato
cole slaw
grits. At least Morrisons served their grits swimming in real melted butter. (Other places served them with nasty margarine. eww!)
baked chicken
prime rib
steam vats of mushy vegetables

Back then, WDW had a classic cafeteria of their own, in the concourse of the Contemporary! I liked the CR one.

unmitigated disaster

I really don't know why Disney hasn't put in a cafeteria or two; faster service than table service and quick service. And it can be done right; the cafeteria we ate at last summer at the Columbus Zoo was quite good and we appreciated that their sides were mostly salads or veggies and not fries or fries.

Jon81uk

I really don't know why Disney hasn't put in a cafeteria or two; faster service than table service and quick service. And it can be done right; the cafeteria we ate at last summer at the Columbus Zoo was quite good and we appreciated that their sides were mostly salads or veggies and not fries or fries.

The service isn't always quicker than the current quick service. We queued for a long time at Disneyland to pay for our food after getting it cafeteria style.
Also quick service isn't that different, the food is cooked, the CM gets the ticket and gathers your items onto a tray and hands it over, its just you can't really see the holding trays for the food at most places (the resort food courts and quick service usually have the steam trays at the front, but places in the parks have them back in the kitchen).

Hockey89

Nothing intrinsically wrong with the place, it's just I was forced to eat there WAY too often.

As I recall, it was a classic, old-school cafeteria. Picture a glass partition and lots of steam vats with an array of hot foods. Also the kind of classic iceberg lettuce salad that comes with exactly 2 cucumbers, 1/4 of a hot house tomato, and a plastic mini Solo-cup of Ken's brand salad dressing, and is served in a white ceramic salad bowl.

jello, especially jello mixed with canned tropical fruit salad (the kind w/ mystery cubes in assorted shades of orange/off-white)
jello ambrosia salad = jello mixed with canned fruit, cool whip, marshmallows, and coconut; which is as nasty as it sounds.
pudding
cole slaw
grits. At least Morrisons served their grits swimming in real melted butter. (Other places served them with nasty margarine. eww!)
baked chicken
prime rib

Back then, WDW had a classic cafeteria of their own, in the concourse of the Contemporary! I liked the CR one.
You described hell on earth for me....

Lilofan

pudding
cole slaw
baked chicken
prime rib

No wonder I was much slimmer back in the old days.. The food was so bland I tended to eat less.

pudding
cole slaw
baked chicken
prime rib

I just had an extreme flashback of spending a Summer staying with my grandparents in Florida. Fried okra and carrot pudding every day but only before 6pm because that's when the early bird special ended.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Morrison's at the mall in Biloxi. Picadilly in downtown Baton Rouge.

And then there was the Pancho's in downtown New Orleans...

Three of my favorite cafeteria memories.

Animaniac93-98

Disney loves buffets because they can charge $45-$60 a head a claim it's a value because they're all you can eat and sometimes have characters. They'll never get rid of them, but it probably won't be self serve in the near term.

correcaminos

The one in Africa I assume? (Only one I know of) that is our favorite place to eat there. All the restaurants there have premade food really but like you, we appreciate the healthier options. And the view! We also enjoy Picabu at the Dolphin. I'd do those faster than buffets to be honest

John park hopper

As a kid I remember going into NYC and they had the automat, I was fascinated by putting your money in and the door would open and you would get your food. Replace buffet with automat, scan your MB get your food Name of the place was Horn and Hardart
image.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom