Southwest Schedule Changed

anchorman314

Original Poster
I have a round trip flight booked for early May, so both directions are on one reservation. This morning, I got an email from Southwest because they changed the flight time. I understand (at least I think I do) that because Southwest initiated the change, I can request a refund for my Wanna Get Away fare, and the refund would cover both the fare and the Early Bird. Does anyone know if a change to one direction of an itinerary allow for a refund on both directions? Just looking to get an idea of what I should expect when I write/call/email them.

KellBelle

I think it depends on the length of time in the change. I believe anything over 2 hours, they will refund. It would be a refund of the entire ticket, not just a portion. Even if under 2 hours, given the times, they might consider a refund anyways. It is definitely worth a call. If you are wanting to seek a refund, do not accept the schedule change prior to calling. Good luck!

anchorman314

Original Poster
Just wanted to give an update in case anyone is facing a similar situation. Before I had a chance to call, the return flight was also updated. So the departure flight was moved 2 hours, and the return was moved almost 3 hours. I called this morning and the agent couldn't have been any nicer. I got a full refund, including the EarlyBird.

KellBelle

Just wanted to give an update in case anyone is facing a similar situation. Before I had a chance to call, the return flight was also updated. So the departure flight was moved 2 hours, and the return was moved almost 3 hours. I called this morning and the agent couldn't have been any nicer. I got a full refund, including the EarlyBird.
Great news! I am a corporate travel agent and Southwest has just been wonderful to deal with in all of this! Happy you did not experience an issue. Thanks for the update! :D

Club Cooloholic

I believe legally they have to allow a full refund if they make a change of more than w hours to a flight, but don't quote me on that. Same thing happened with me an American last year.

Plowboy

I believe legally they have to allow a full refund if they make a change of more than w hours to a flight, but don't quote me on that. Same thing happened with me an American last year.

Did American give you a refund? The reason I ask is we have a one-way from Sacramento to Key West booked with American this coming September (then drive to WDW). We currently have a sweet itinerary (about 8 hours fly time), but with all the flight changes/cancellations I keep checking every other day to see if their schedules have changed. They have several other itineraries that are up to 22 hours fly time which we definitely wouldn't be interested in. I realize this is way in advance, but am just a bit paranoid. Hope this makes some sort of sense.

Herdman

Our two May Southwest flights were changed slightly also. We're planning to reschedule our trip until late October so I'm waiting on final details to change my flights to fit that timeframe.

Club Cooloholic

Did American give you a refund? The reason I ask is we have a one-way from Sacramento to Key West booked with American this coming September (then drive to WDW). We currently have a sweet itinerary (about 8 hours fly time), but with all the flight changes/cancellations I keep checking every other day to see if their schedules have changed. They have several other itineraries that are up to 22 hours fly time which we definitely wouldn't be interested in. I realize this is way in advance, but am just a bit paranoid. Hope this makes some sort of sense.
Actually, when they changed ours they added both a leg to what was originally a direct flight on our way to Denver. This made it refundable (the entire trip not just the one way). So we did that. But also if it changes arrival by more that 2 hours to your original you should be able to get it.

Plowboy

Actually, when they changed ours they added both a leg to what was originally a direct flight on our way to Denver. This made it refundable (the entire trip not just the one way). So we did that. But also if it changes arrival by more that 2 hours to your original you should be able to get it.

Thank you for the link.

Plowboy

Btw...you can probably save some money by just flying into Miami and driving to Key West(rental car should be cheaper too), your flight will be direct. Its a nice drive up and back. Just something to consider.

We've done that drive on 3 previous trips. We usually fly Southwest from California so it makes for an extremely long day if we have to drive 4 or so hours after a coast to coast flight, hence the appeal of the flight into EYW. Southwest did do service into Key West for about 6 months several years ago. Mustn't have been profitable.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I've had some flights with Southwest do the same thing. My outbound flight is now three hours later and my inbound flight is two hours earlier. I ended up changing the outbound flight to a direct flight that leaves at the same time (they had rescheduled me to a flight with a stop) and moved the inbound flight to the next day. Thankfully, it was cheaper flying to PHX and driving up to Anaheim then it was for me to fly to SNA or LAX.

I may have to end up cancelling everything, but at least there's a plan.

5thGenTexan

Check your flights... We had a flight May 24 to JAX (St Augustine for a week). We were just waiting it out to see what would happen and I just happen to check our reservation today. It was outright cancelled and never heard a word from Southwest. I communicated via FB Messenger and they did indeed get rid of the flight. Point is, I had to contact them after the fact to get a refund rolling;

PBJelly

I love Southwest, I'm sad to see they removed the direct flights to Orlando. Hopefully when things open up, they will return.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom