Trip Report A very late, CD (Corona Driven), TR with a twist

Hi All!

Explanations of the title first.
A very late-this trip was December 2018.
CD (Corona Driven)-I'm a combination of bored and terrified and need a diversion so I am dragging out an old trip to write about!
Not to be all dramatic on the terrified part, but some of you may remember from my trip report from November of 19, that my husband is being treated for colon cancer. Well since that report his cancer has worsened a little and he is back on the more frequent higher dose chemo. He is doing absolutely great, that's not the problem. He's driving his John Deere around and playing in the yard. The problem is. I'm a physician and have to go into my nursing homes twice a week and very worried about bringing something home with me. The rest of the week I'm home on lock down like everyone else, hence the bored part!
Trip report with a twist-Anyone reading is more than welcome to put any of your own photos in that might match up with the locations in my report. I was hoping people would enjoy a reason to pull out their own photos and post them, to reminisce of happier times! And all gifs welcome and appreciated.

Before we get to any of the frivolity and fun.
I want to thank anyone who is working to make all humans have a better/easier time right now. This will be an incomplete list but-all hospital and medical care settings, nurses, aides, dietitians, therapists, doctors, emt's. All grocers, store employees, factory workers, sanitation workers, teachers, manufactures, delivery people of all types. Truckers, gas station attendants, and food service individuals. There is no way this list is complete and as you respond, please add any positions you can think of so we all remember as we hunker down, others are working and could be at risk so we can be a little safer. (And in turn hopefully keep others safe).

Now on to the fun part!
Who-Myself Cindy and my husband Gary. My son Seth and his friend from high school, Emily.
Where/When-We had a split stay at AK Kidani and Bay lake, Dec 17-21. (And ps when we're all worried about Covid I shouldn't be whining about anything), but I'm going to. Never ever, if I can avoid it will I do a split stay again, I know some people like them, but hopefully the first and last for me. More to come on that later.

Day 1
This was my first trip since I became (mostly) retired. I work part time now as above. My staff bought me this shirt and I had to show it off!
Ready to head to the airport at 5:20 am. Yuck. But somehow headed to Disney at 5:20 am never seems so bad!
IMG_9481.JPG

Seth and Emily as we wait for our Southwest flight to take off. If you have read my other trip reports you know I have trained my kids that it is so much quicker to just let me get the photo, pretend you don't mind, and we'll move on!
IMG_9484.JPG

We had an uneventful and more important, on time flight from Pittsburgh to MCO.
Seth and Emily as we arrived at the beautiful AKL. Love this place.
IMG_9485.JPG

We had received our room ready txt on the way there, nice and early, so my pictures aren't so great as the kids were rushing me to go see our room.
The tree looks so much prettier in person. but, I have always loved these lights.
IMG_9487.JPG

IMG_9488.JPG

And with all of the rushing around, I didn't even get any pictures of the room. And it was really nice with a savannah facing view. Sorry.

We threw our stuff in the room and headed out to our first park. Next up, Hollywood Studios!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Thanks for thinking of us by starting this TR! I need to get back to mine - if only to get me to put some boundaries on having a home office. As all my pictures are on my computer, I have to do the TR while sitting there ... but then when I am in front of the computer I start checking into work related things and before I know it hours have gone by again...

Good thoughts that both you and Gary stay safe!
You're welcome. I definitely needed some kind of distraction.
And yes please, I was enjoying your report.
I do the opposite, I sit at my computer to do something productive and before you know it I'm cruising ebay or something! :rolleyes:
And thank you for the good wishes, and same to you.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Day 2-

We were up bright and early for our MK day.
The plan that was talked about in great detail (that tidbit will be important further along) was to rope drop Jingle Cruise since we did not have a FP for this.

This is my crew out in front of the hotel waiting for our Uber ride.
IMG_9555.JPG

Remember that smile and wave, because it sure wasn't there about an hour from now!
IMG_9557.JPG

Our ride was uneventful. We got dropped at the Contemporary and walked over. It's such a happy place!
IMG_9559.JPG

We started strolling up main street. Things are still going well. Isn't that a beautiful site?!
IMG_9897.JPG

And, right about now is when 'all you know what' broke loose on Main Street!!

But, I have to go help some children roast some marshmallows on a bonfire we have going outside. I will pick up the tale after some s'mores are made and consumed! And yes, we will be practicing social distancing. Who wants a marshmallow stick in the eye?!

RememberWhen

What a fun idea! I’ve been toying with the idea of a TR for our December 2018 trip, but with two little kids home all day I don’t think I have the energy. We were there 12/20-29. I’m enjoying reliving some of the memories through your pictures. I was sure I had pictures of the AKL lobby, but I can’t find them. 😔
Thanks for sharing!! Can’t wait to hear about the rest of the trip!

RememberWhen

What a fun idea! I’ve been toying with the idea of a TR for our December 2018 trip, but with two little kids home all day I don’t think I have the energy. We were there 12/20-29. I’m enjoying reliving some of the memories through your pictures. I was sure I had pictures of the AKL lobby, but I can’t find them. 😔
Also, what did Seth’s shirt say on the picture on the airplane?

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
LOVE THIS!!

I cackled at you saying 'pain in the Alien Swirling Saucers' :hilarious:

So sweet of you to remember all of those that are the helpers right now...I'd like to add child care workers. My child care center stayed open as long as we could, but Friday was our last day and we're furloughed currently (filing for unemployment tomorrow), but some are still open, taking care of the children of many of the other helpers, risking their health.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
If you get a chance to post it, would love to read along!
If you find any pictures please feel free to post them. I love love looking at other peoples photos!
And thanks for following along.

Also, what did Seth’s shirt say on the picture on the airplane?
I just checked with him. He said it's J!NX. A gaming apparel brand.
I should probably pay more attention to these things. But when they are adults it gets a little harder to censor them!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
LOVE THIS!!

I cackled at you saying 'pain in the Alien Swirling Saucers' :hilarious:

So sweet of you to remember all of those that are the helpers right now...I'd like to add child care workers. My child care center stayed open as long as we could, but Friday was our last day and we're furloughed currently (filing for unemployment tomorrow), but some are still open, taking care of the children of many of the other helpers, risking their health.
Glad you are enjoying!
I have to give credit to @Darstarr for the Alien Swirling Saucers. I'm pretty sure she also used it in reference to one of her children. She can correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not sure at all what it says about me that I occasionally feel the need to reference the little darling in such a way!

And yes absolutely child care providers! And I'm very sorry for your job loss.
Just a heads up. My daughter applied for unemployment in California 2 weeks ago (maybe), and still is without an answer from her state. As @wdw93 pointed out earlier, the people who work in the unemployment offices are being crushed so patience will be required by all. But, it's still scary for people whose finances are tight right now.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
So we're back from the fun of s"more making, walking in the creek and riding around in my husband's John Deere.
This came about as a colleague and I were talking and her kids were going stir crazy at home and we live out in the country. So I offered if she would like to bring them over and let some steam off. They were hilarious, with everyone practicing social distancing, we played in the water, collected sticks, had an Easter egg hunt and made s'mores.
Gary was in his glory riding the kids around in the bucket of his tractor. And what is really nice is it all probably cost $10 and it entertained them for about 3 hours. The little one fell asleep on the way home in the car, his mom told me.
With their mother's permission, here are 2 photos of our adventures on a rare beautiful day in Pittsburgh!

IMG_1241.JPG

Believe it or not Gary is having a great time! This is his usual photo face. :rolleyes:
IMG_1248.JPG

Ok, that intermission over, back to December 2018!
Day 2-continued

We made it up Main Street. If you'll recall the plan we discussed and agreed upon, was to rope drop Jingle Cruise because of how busy it gets.
Little side info-Gary absolutely loves pin trading at Disney. He is worse than any kid there. We frequently have to drag him along and we hear a lot of "just one more pin"!
So we're walking, hustling, up MS to head towards Adventure Land. Gary sees a CM with a laynard of pins and says "Oh, he's got some good pins"! Me, I'm not so nice and remind him we have a plan.
Well, he got so angry with me. "I just wanted to trade pins, I'll probably never see those again", and on and on.
So he very grumpily gives up the pin search and joins us right here.....
IMG_9563.JPG

Yep, full on rope drop stop. Any idea how much growling went on now? Anybody, just guess?!
Well it took the entire ride and a stroll over to Frontierland and this interaction before he forgave me.
IMG_E9569.JPG

Thank goodness for Wendell! He pin traded with Gary and finally all was well. Sheesh, you would have thought the CM on Main Street had actual diamonds in those pins Gary was "forced" to give up.

At this point while we were pin trading, Emily and Seth went to use our FP's for SM.
I'm not sure if these are from this or our last day at MK. but you get the idea!
IMG_9950.JPG

IMG_9951.JPG

On their way back to meet up with us, they stopped to visit a favorite princess.
IMG_9586.JPG

IMG_9588.JPG

Seth and Emily said she was quite chatty and they enjoyed their interaction with her.

They caught up with us and I tried to capture them, but alas is only pretend. Oh bother!
IMG_9583.JPG

Next we took a favorite path to a favorite ride.
A kind passerby took this photo for us.
IMG_9584.JPG

We used our next FP on BTMR. I didn't get any photos but it was enjoyed as always!
This is another little side story. You know how you sometimes have to talk people into something you know they'll enjoy?
Well apparently as a child Gary had a horrible roller coaster experience, he gets quite motion sick.
Years ago I finally talked him into trying BTMR and now it is one of his favorites. We will be on the ride and he's holding his arms up yelling and hip checking me into the side of the car!o_O

Coming up next is my absolute favorite ride, probably in all of the parks.
We're also going to enjoy a wonderful dinner that was Emily's dining choice for the trip and to celebrate her Birthday! She turned 18 the day before we left for Disney!

Last edited:

RememberWhen

If you get a chance to post it, would love to read along!
If you find any pictures please feel free to post them. I love love looking at other peoples photos!
And thanks for following along.

I just checked with him. He said it's J!NX. A gaming apparel brand.
I should probably pay more attention to these things. But when they are adults it gets a little harder to censor them!
It looked so familiar. I bet my sister has something from that brand. She’s way cooler than I am.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
It looked so familiar. I bet my sister has something from that brand. She’s way cooler than I am.
Yeah, he's in college, but works (or did) at Hot Topic and gets decent employee discounts. I have no idea where that particular shirt came from, but he has way too many from work. He doesn't get the whole you work to make money for college, not necessarily spend it all on shirts! :rolleyes:

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Day 2-continued

We wandered around a little, took in the sites and made our way to our next fast pass.
7DMT!!! I just love this ride!
IMG_9592.JPG

Look at the amazing detail!
IMG_9597.JPG

Again, love this ride!
IMG_1826.JPG

But, notice the empty seat beside me? For awhile now Gary has been having trouble getting in the car and bending his knees to be able to ride. (See my TR of Nov 19 where I may or may not have insisted he try to ride). But, this time he got on, tried to sit and then couldn't and got off of the ride.
As we were coming to a stop I took a photo of the seat and floor space (that I never really paid attention to before), and realized that while the seat is wide enough, with the center console thing, there is a very narrow space to put both feet and that forces your legs together and with significant flexion of the knees, which is where he has a problem. I might have to be more understanding in the future. Maybe.
IMG_9603.JPG

And can I just say, YUCK to those floors! I've seen some photos posted here of people in bare feet around Disney! 🤢

After that we waited patiently to ride The PeopleMover.
See the patient, "I really hate this ride mom look"? In his defense there was a bit of line.
IMG_9606.JPG

After that we headed over for our annual/semi-annual (whenever we are there), you're growing up, photo on the wall. We started taking these for both kids on their first visits, which happened to be 3 years of age. Gary wanted in on this one.
IMG_9615.JPG

After this we meandered up the hill just in time for our Magical Dinner!

Laura Loves Tigger

Yeah, he's in college, but works (or did) at Hot Topic and gets decent employee discounts. I have no idea where that particular shirt came from, but he has way too many from work. He doesn't get the whole you work to make money for college, not necessarily spend it all on shirts! :rolleyes:
Had to laugh at this. I worked at a department store during college. We got a nice discount on anything we could wear to work, even if it was on clearance. I quit the store about a year before I got married. When we were moving my stuff after the wedding, I had 2 bags full of clothes that still had the tags on them. My husband wanted to know how I could buy stuff then not wear it. My answer " But I got a great deal on it! " 😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom