Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aries1975

Thankfully, the knuckleheads from the thread's early days are no longer here. Well, for the most part. Sadly, knuckleheads like me still remain (for now). Also, let's lift a glass to the knuckleheads who joined us more recently.
I actually meant the "look at me as I do something stupid" crowd. Taking the high road is always the right choice, but seems even more important now.

trainplane3

Wanted to share with parents here.

Looking at last week, and the weekend.. was absolutely disgusting to me. I have never seen (nor allowed) this much time on the Switch since we’ve owned the device (shortly after it first released).
View attachment 458587

I put a stop to it by coming up with daily entertainment choices. Chalk drawing on driveway, LEGO creations, home science experiments, etc etc.. on top of workouts and sports practice.. here’s where we are this week-

View attachment 458586

Much better. He’s back to a 1 hour limit either way though. I can’t see those crazy amounts again.
Gotta get those numbers up. Those are rookie numbers:
hours.JPG

Came out Friday, haven't touched it since Monday. 🤣

Quinnmac000

I don't think the whole country is going to become NYC. NY waited too long to institute controls given its population density. Social distancing works - S Korea is a good example of this.

Any government waiting to close to "preserve the economy" is going to actually make the economy worse in the long run. The longer controls are held off, the longer and worse the situation will be. S Korea locked down immediately on discovering the virus in their boarders, and the impact was minimal for them.

Basically the reason we need all these shelter in place orders / school closings / social distancing is because of lack of tests. Again, S Korea locked things down, tested like crazy, isolated and quaranteened more targeted areas, and then were able to relax the lockdown. We need these lockdowns until we can ramp our testing up and get through the current wave. Then we can reopen and get more targeted going forward.

Korea never locked down. The Korean people locked down. Because unlike the states, Korea dealt with SARS and MERS which had huge ramifications.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The details are lost in pretty much all of the stats and graphs being tossed around as facts... But, that's probably because it is so hard to get accurate information that can take into account the many variables involved.

Nah - what I highlighted is a 'pay attention to the details' human problem. People want to TLDR everything so much they can't keep basic things straight so they talk right past each other or regurgitate half-truths because they never paid attention in the first place.

This isn't a knock at DCBaker - just the whole 'young vs old' thing...

Rogue1138

Just to add some perspective (partly because I’m starting to somewhat freak out) to help some folks understand where many of us are coming from, I for instance work on a base/commission split. What I do for a living isn’t important because what matters is that nobody is buying anything right now. All projects are on hold and therefore, nearly zero revenue. I’m extremely grateful and thankful for having a job (for now) but in my 15 years in this type of role there has never once been a time of zero revenue in my territory. Therefore, I’m making squat right now. Guess what??? My bills didn’t go down. My four kids still need to eat. Car payment and mortgage still need to be paid. It sucks. I get it. But it doesn’t change the fact that just because I made too much last year to qualify shouldn’t equate to not needing help now. Someone somewhere else already commented that folks like us should have been prepared. Guess what.... we were! And it’s running us dry. VERY quickly I might add. So many of my close friends, neighbors and family are dealing with unemployment and I want them to have the help as well. I just have this feeling that it’s going to be impossible to do this in a fair way and then we’re made to feel like evil selfish people for feeling that way. Sorry for venting but we all have different stories and scenarios at play.

I feel your pain. I had a near six figure sales job with a Fortune 50 company that I was there for almost 10 years with. One day they laid off the entire department with no explanation (literally, we asked why and were told we didn't need to know). After my severance ran out and not finding a sales job even close to the ballpack income I had before I cashed out my 401K. Now my wife and I don't qualify for this because that counts as "earned income" and pushed us out of the payment amounts. There's going to be a chunk of people who should qualify for this and won't (like if you needed to short sale your home, had a business that has since went under, etc). Sometimes you can't plan ahead because you don't know when security can be taken from you.

LAKESHOW DVCER

Touring plans just sent me a crowd tracker email and the crowd level went up for the first week in May when we are scheduled to be at DW.
We are deciding DVC members and still deciding whether to cancel or not.

MrConbon

Wanted to share with parents here.

Looking at last week, and the weekend.. was absolutely disgusting to me. I have never seen (nor allowed) this much time on the Switch since we’ve owned the device (shortly after it first released).
View attachment 458587

I put a stop to it by coming up with daily entertainment choices. Chalk drawing on driveway, LEGO creations, home science experiments, etc etc.. on top of workouts and sports practice.. here’s where we are this week-

View attachment 458586

Much better. He’s back to a 1 hour limit either way though. I can’t see those crazy amounts again.

lol just like your kid play video games. One hour is barely enough to do anything in a video game. At least a game like Pokémon has tons of reading for him to do. Not sure how chalk art is much more beneficial than video games. Yesterday I played at least 7-8 hours on my Switch. We’re in a lockdown.

zengoth

Whenever Disney's announcement shows, I am sure it would include the phrase "an abundance of caution". Seriously, there are many freelance copywriters who need work - there has to be a new way to phrase this. Maybe they should choose a new version every week or so. Like "a cornucopia of care" or "a calvacade of covering-our-butts". :confused:

zengoth

So are meteorologists, but when a storm is here they hold onto the spotlight of nothing but worst case scenarios too. Not targeted at you but in general. Take concerns seriously, but not panic.
Not so much meterologists, but the weather channels that make their money off of views need the sturm und drang. Does WHO need clickbait articles to get folks to listen? (I'm honestly asking because I don't know.)

UNCgolf

lol just like your kid play video games. One hour is barely enough to do anything in a video game. At least a game like Pokémon has tons of reading for him to do. Not sure how chalk art is much more beneficial than video games. Yesterday I played at least 7-8 hours on my Switch. We’re in a lockdown.

Seriously.

It's fine if someone personally doesn't want their kids to play video games (or have any kind of screen time) that much for whatever reason, but I hope they understand it's their personal choice and people that do otherwise aren't making parenting mistakes or are somehow worse parents. There's nothing harmful about playing video games for several hours a day; kids have been doing it for 40 years now. It's not going to make their child dumber or hinder their development.

Kids need exercise, of course -- they shouldn't be playing literally all day every day without ever getting off the couch or wherever. But as long as it's mixed in with sports or other activities, it's really not a big deal. It's not fundamentally different from playing a board game or cards or any other similar activity, and, depending on the game being played, can actually be a boost to cognitive development.

Last edited:

thecouch

I don't think testing numbers
Touring plans just sent me a crowd tracker email and the crowd level went up for the first week in May when we are scheduled to be at DW.
We are deciding DVC members and still deciding whether to cancel or not.
They sent me a email yesterday saying April 15 to 19 went up. I think it's just there automatic one that puts crowds up every month

zengoth

Down here in Tampa Bay they are waffling between "safe at home" and let businesses that can follow protocol stay open. There's also curfew on the table - although with nothing open between 11pm - 5am anyway, what's the point? Strictly public safety? Fear of 3rd shift house parties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom