Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

The Fed dropped rates to 0 and is propping up the Treasurys and mortgage backed securities to the tune of 700B after selling 1.5T in securities last Friday and Thursday. This is seismic

21stamps

I think every one (speaking in general) should make a pact during this stressful time-

If you don’t want to leave your house- Don’t.

If other people want to leave their house- Do.

However, the memes and judgements towards people for whichever decision they make, that should stop. Knowing social media, though, it won’t. :(

RobWDW1971

It's an interesting question actually - what is our acceptable level of deaths in this country vs. economic collapse? As was mentioned earlier, over 600,000 die every year of cancer.

Is 10K deaths OK? 100K? 1M? Is having total deaths of 20,000 vs 50,000 from this virus worth destroying the economy, losing countless jobs, and wiping trillions of value from the market?

We have nearly 40,000 car crash deaths every year, but cars aren't banned so we've determined that is a totally acceptable level of uncontrollable deaths.

It's a rhetorical, but real question to ponder.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The Fed dropped rates to 0 and is propping up the Treasurys and mortgage backed securities to the tune of 700B after selling 1.5T in securities last Friday and Thursday. This is seismic

And futures on the dow are already down 1k+ points.

Jwink

What does this mean? I don’t know much about this stuff. I just refinanced my mortgage... does this affect that type of thing?

JoeCamel

Fla Governor DeSantis says not closing restaurants yet and limit gatherings of 250 or more and close south beaches

Edit
Wants DoH to provide more pinpoint information on cases. Refreshing!

Looking at help to small business as necessary

Allows donation of state employee's leave time to facilitate childcare duties if both spouses work for the state.

techgeek

It's an interesting question actually - what is our acceptable level of deaths in this country vs. economic collapse? As was mentioned earlier, over 600,000 die every year of cancer.

Is 10K deaths OK? 100K? 1M? Is having total deaths of 20,000 vs 50,000 from this virus worth destroying the economy, losing countless jobs, and wiping trillions of value from the market?

We have nearly 40,000 car crash deaths every year, but cars aren't banned so we've determined that is a totally acceptable level of uncontrollable deaths.

The interesting rhetorical question is, would you have a functional economy left if you had a completely non-functional health care system?

RobWDW1971

The interesting rhetorical question is, would you have a functional economy left if you had a completely non-functional health care system?
Absolutely fair dynamic - what's interesting about this virus is that it has such a low level of serious cases so you have to keep only the critical in hospitals.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What does this mean? I don’t know much about this stuff. I just refinanced my mortgage... does this affect that type of thing?
Mortgage rates were already lowered in anticipation of this cut. Shouldn’t change much of anything. If you just refied You got a great rate :)

celluloid

A large number of those accidents would be under the influence situations. That we do try and regulate but people get away with it. I would be careful with the term totally acceptable because of that, but the difference is, is our liberty of choice is not taken away, that is what is the enemy of economy. Lightning is another act of God that kills in Florida more than anywhere else, but it is your freedom of bad choice if you want to take the risk, and your odds of dying from lightning are much greater than dying from a virus. At a certain point, life is an inherant risk. It is not like people are catching Aids or Gangrene, unless there is something really shady we do not know about from China yet.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
"The Sky is Falling", I can't believe how many Chicken Littles are hanging out in the thread. In fact, they should rename this thread, "the sky is falling". Every time we have a situation to deal with, some people assume the worst. The worst rarely ever happens. Remember the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico? Barely 10 percent of all that was predicted actually happened. The stock market is forward looking and hates uncertainty. That's why it has fallen so much. It will recover quickly when this situation becomes clearer.

This virus will pass just like all of them in the past...and sooner than you think. Everything will get back to normal and some will have a good laugh on all the "Chicken LIttles". Anyone remember the Y2K hysteria?
😂

techgeek

Absolutely fair dynamic - what's interesting about this virus is that it has such a low level of serious cases so you have to keep only the critical in hospitals.

Yes, it’s a numbers game. But with exponential growth, eventually triaging in only critical cases rips through your available beds, not to mention doctors and nursing staff. Then what?

If you let that system burn to the ground, suddenly you can’t get treatment for your heart attack. Mothers that need C-sections for births can’t get them. Trauma cases from accidents have to be turned away. All those other causes of death start piling up. Or, you maintain that capacity and turn away the virus patients that can’t breathe.

This is a legitimate debate with hypotheticals that have never truly been tested in the modern era. I think the right choice is err on the side of economic crash. Economies can be rebuilt. Forcing us into a position where we have to decide who lives and who dies on a daily basis isn’t sustainable or ethical.

21stamps

Fla Governor DeSantis says not closing restaurants yet and limit gatherings of 250 or more and close south beaches

Edit
Wants DoH to provide more pinpoint information on cases. Refreshing!

Looking at help to small business as necessary

Allows donation of state employee's leave time to facilitate childcare duties if both spouses work for the state.

Oh I miss Florida.

Small Business
&
Details
&
Childcare recognition

That’s one governor who appears not to be governed by hysteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom