Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

disney4life2008

I am sure Disney will use this opportunity to ensure all previously broken show elements will be fixed and guarantee the parks be in perfect working order once they reopen....

lol

LOL Disney land yes. Disney world, the most they will do is ramp up hotel building. They may do some maintenance but nothing out of the ordinary.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Wonder how long they actually stay closed. They made the right call.
They made a call...

This is more about liability at this point. That's what is causing all this. If Disney stays open, and it can be proven to a jury that the company did so for "profit reasons" and it gets a bunch of people (especially kids or elderly) sick and there's even one death, the civil suits would be dramatic.

I suspect that is what is driving this decision.

BrianLo

We know that because of what causes that cycle: the school year.

The school year starts in the Fall with putting lots of children together in one building with the younger ones practically unable to practice good hygiene. It spreads thru the schools and back to the families. Parents bring it to work and spread it to coworkers. Coworkers bring it home to their family and kids who live in a different school district. The kids bring it to the new school district.

This happens every year with colds and flus peaking a few months after the start of the school year and then die out by the end of the school year.

This is why people *assume* that warm weather kills the viruses and cold weather incubates it. It doesn't. Scientific study over and over and over again shows that the the ambient temperature of the environment or the person has no or nearly negligible effect on how contagious a virus is.

Catching a 'cold' because one is 'cold' is a myth. The weather in Iran is warm and CV19 spread like wildfire there.

True to an extent. There are certain bugs and viruses that have seasonal infection patterns outside of school enrolment and social proximity. Even amongst the common winter viruses there are different months they peak.

Of course vectors also change entirely. Mosquito born will have different seasonality than water borne, which have different seasonality from aerosolized spread.

Of course, that's not totally relevant to Coronavirus.

Leo!

Wonder how long they actually stay closed. They made the right call.

I doubt they will open again in 2 or 3 weeks. This trend will be hard to reverse.

corona.png

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
What you want to bet they will slow down any construction. A rational mind would be in 3 weeks time they can get alot done. But I get nothing will change. Hotels on the other hand, they may build a whole new DVC.

COVID-19 cases are growing in Florida. They'd need to consider the well being of the construction workers.

ImperfectPixie

FYI, we don’t know what causes seasonality, but it’s not temperature. Cold and flu season is largely October thru April in BOTH hemispheres. So, if Covid has seasonality, we should know soon.
It has to do with our immune systems being more robust in the summer, less people staying confined in houses which in turn equals more personal space when outside...there's a bunch of reasons that are outlined pretty well in the article I linked.

ETA: This is in addition to MisterPenguin's comments about schools being petri dishes.

Last edited:

JohnD

I have a trip that was supposed to start 3/30. I don’t think worth the effort trying to re-start 4/1 and extend two more days. Probably best to cancel then re-look at May or the fall.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I doubt they will open again in 2 or 3 weeks. This trend will be hard to reverse.

View attachment 455889
Data is wonderful as you collect it. But, it is only as good as the data you've collected.

Even if we go off the reported cases and deaths...that graph provides zero context. This sort of thing is exactly why people are getting over excited over what should be handled with a calm and rational mind.

Wash your hands.

disney4life2008

Anyone else cry? It's been a rough two months that I have been following the virus. Heard about DL a few hours ago. WDW made the tears flow. Last time I cried was a few days after doing CPR on a car accident victim years ago. This sucks, life is really going to be rough for awhile.

I'm sorry but connecting this to a car accident victim is crazy. Its a theme park! What are you crying about?

DisneyCane

We know that because of what causes that cycle: the school year.

The school year starts in the Fall with putting lots of children together in one building with the younger ones practically unable to practice good hygiene. It spreads thru the schools and back to the families. Parents bring it to work and spread it to coworkers. Coworkers bring it home to their family and kids who live in a different school district. The kids bring it to the new school district.

This happens every year with colds and flus peaking a few months after the start of the school year and then die out by the end of the school year.

This is why people *assume* that warm weather kills the viruses and cold weather incubates it. It doesn't. Scientific study over and over and over again shows that the the ambient temperature of the environment or the person has no or nearly negligible effect on how contagious a virus is.

Catching a 'cold' because one is 'cold' is a myth. The weather in Iran is warm and CV19 spread like wildfire there.

From what was said by the expert in a video that I think was posted in this thread who visited China a few weeks ago and was interviewed on Chinese TV said that it isn't heat that makes a difference but humidity. He didn't say it kills the virus but he said it helps to reduce the spread because the virus attaches to the water vapor in the air which makes the virus heavier so that it falls to the ground faster. There was no suggestion that humidity puts a stop to the spread just that it reduces it somewhat.

Basically, if somebody coughs on you it won't make a difference. If someone coughs 30 seconds before you enter the area then it can make a difference.

JohnD

Since my trip is April 26-May 10, I'm still going to hold off on cancelling unless I have to. I don't feel the need to as of yet.

Here's hoping all these closures and preventative measures make an impactful difference.

Yes. You have a better circumstance than me. My trip was for 3/30-4/3. Probably best for me to cancel the whole trip and find a future date. I’m a FL resident anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom