Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HauntedMansionFLA

They will close when the government says there is a ban on XYZ. Until then, they have no liability. I'm leaving from CT and will be there Wednesday. I'm a bit nervous, but I have a thing with my hands feeling weird and tend to wash them frequently. And I never touch the Pooh Honey wall! So...there's that.
EPCOT was packed yesterday. No impact.

Chip Chipperson

good mission to have. What’s sad is that people don’t regularly wash their hands or houses or work spaces in general. It’s gross but I can’t tell
You how many people at work go to the bathroom and walk right out.

I've seen people do that even recently at work. One guy faked as if he ran one hand under the sensor but never actually stopped walking so no water ever came out. Then he wiped his hand under his nose on the way out. He appeared to be in the age group more at risk of a severe case if he was to catch the virus, too. People like that are why I don't touch bathroom doors without some paper towels when I'm in public and avoid touching anything in public if I can avoid it.

techgeek

EPCOT was packed yesterday. No impact.

The tipping point in public awareness was only within the last few days. I wouldn't expect any impact to begin to be felt until after the weekend. Gauging the overall mood from various sites, my impression is that people with trips in the near future are still planning on showing up but there seems to be a gathering apprehension and talk of cancelling / delaying once you get past mid-March.

esskay

The only impact you'll probably be seeing in March will be from the handful of convention cancellations (e.g Mc Donalds and the health confrence). Even then its probably not going to be noticable.

Obviously there will be some cautious families but given most people visiting will have paid thousands they wont be able to justify cancelling or postponing unless necessery (Which right now, it absolutely is not for most).

ImperfectPixie

The only impact you'll probably be seeing in March will be from the handful of convention cancellations (e.g Mc Donalds and the health confrence). Even then its probably not going to be noticable.

Obviously there will be some cautious families but given most people visiting will have paid thousands they wont be able to justify cancelling or postponing unless necessery (Which right now, it absolutely is not for most).
Even putting the cost of a WDW aside, how many are able to just freely reschedule vacation time from work...I know it was always a huge issue at my job and still is at my husband's.

carolina_yankee

We've booked the Disney Magic out of Dover for 8/30 to Norway. For some reason I purchased Cancel For Any Reason insurance privately (rarely do that) before COVID was on my mind, but at least I know I have options. I suspect DCL would move their cancellation policies forward to my embarkation date if there is a concern.

At any rate, WDW is my back-up should we not be able to cruise. Since I can barely live in Florida in August heat, I'm reasonably confident COVID will have a hard time. Just need to make sure I book a cancellable DVC reservation!

United is waiving fees for cancellations, so we'll be going somewhere. We'll just have to wait and see where.

willtravel

Has there been a definitive answer of what this virus came from? And was it said that the virus cannot live in humidity?

techgeek

I would not describe the convention / meeting cancellations as ‘a handful’. I’m directly involved with that business, and right now my personal schedule has taken a 80-90% hit for the next 2 months. I have a few smaller local / regional meetings that may possibly still happen, if their venues remain open.

There’s a strong trend of normalcy bias at play here. Nothing about this is normal. As people slowly overcome that, the leisure market fallout will follow.

iowamomof4

1. Has there been a definitive answer of what this virus came from? 2. And was it said that the virus cannot live in humidity?

1. Definitively? Other than Wuhan, China, no one knows for sure - or they're not saying publicly. Experts have made educated guesses that it was animal to human transfer.

2. We don't know yet if warmer weather will have much of an impact on the virus. MERS is apparently another coronavirus that began in the Middle East, so not all coronaviruses are sensitive to heat or humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom