Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Why? Look at the data from South Korea. They have done the most testing so they will have the most accurate count of total cases including very mild or asymptomatic. Less than 0.8% of the active cases in South Korea are considered serious or critical. This is comparable to the percentage of flu cases that require hospitalization.

Analysis of the mortality rate shows that with the exception of the elderly or people with other existing health issues the mortality rate is extremely low.

I'm a crazy germaphobe in general. Even with these OCD issues, I do not have any additional concern over this virus.

This whole panic started because in the beginning, the patients in China that were presenting with this new (novel) coronavirus were mostly people with severe cases which led to a high initial mortality rate. It appeared that it could be as deadly as SARS or MERS. With more data it is clear that it is much closer to the flu with respect to serious illnesses and mortality rate.

Calm down, wash your hands properly and often, don't touch your face unless you have washed your hands and try to avoid sick people as much as possible.
Why?

For what it's worth, not a single one of my medical professional friends or family members are concerned. If they're not making a mockery of the hysteria or posting memes then at worst they're just telling us to wash our hands and take normal obvious precautions. And I'm talking doctors and nurses including some who work at ivy league schools, not some random medical assistant who did a 1 month program at ITT Tech.

Until I see that community come to grips with this or panic, I dont really care to get overly stressed about this on top of everything else going on in the world. These are people who face this disease and others every single day.

I have someone close to me that works at a hospital. They are treating some patients for the virus that’s not being reported. Now, that doesn’t mean that these people have it, but it still has me a bit worry. I know who it effects. I don’t think it’ll do much to us, but I still worry because we really still don’t know how this will end up. Either way, I’m taking it seriously, probably more than I usually do than any other disease like this that pops up.

MrHappy

I have someone close to me that works at a hospital. They are treating some patients for the virus that’s not being reported. Now, that doesn’t mean that these people have it, but it still has me a bit worry. I know who it effects. I don’t think it’ll do much to us, but I still worry because we really still don’t know how this will end up. Either way, I’m taking it seriously, probably more than I usually do than any other disease like this that pops up.
More than Sars, Mers, M1n1? Just curious. Thanks

DisneyCane

2 deaths in florida, inching ever so closer to the parks.

If you take a pragmatic approach to this news, 2 deaths do the opposite of inching ever so closer to the parks. The deceased can no longer spread the virus.

I don't mean to come off as insensitive but posts like this almost have a tone of hope to them that the parks will be closed. I could be misinterpreting.

There is a segment of the population that, having watched too much of The Walking Dead, seems to want to live in that apocalyptic fantasy. How else can you explain people stocking up on toilet paper of all things?

flutas

If you take a pragmatic approach to this news, 2 deaths do the opposite of inching ever so closer to the parks. The deceased can no longer spread the virus.

I don't mean to come off as insensitive but posts like this almost have a tone of hope to them that the parks will be closed. I could be misinterpreting.

There is a segment of the population that, having watched too much of The Walking Dead, seems to want to live in that apocalyptic fantasy. How else can you explain people stocking up on toilet paper of all things?

Pragmatically, yes the dead can no longer go to the parks. Factually, the dead will have infected people around them already, and their death shows that the virus has been in the area for it's incubation period (3-14 days). Aka, the infection has been spreading around that area, and therefore will be moving closer to the parks.

I have no wish for the parks to shut, or for anyone to die/be infected. The "inching closer to the parks" was in response to the unnamed people in this thread who are constantly claiming the virus isn't spreading/isn't important.

Captain Neo

honestly for the safety of familes and to prevent further community spread of the disease I would advise everyone to not go to theme parks for the time being. Maybe once summer hits and see If number of cases starts declining

esskay

honestly for the safety of familes and to prevent further community spread of the disease I would advise everyone to not go to theme parks for the time being. Maybe once summer hits and see If number of cases starts declining
Yeah let’s be honest here that’s not happening.

It’s highly unlikely this will be contained at this point so the best thing you can do is follow WHO advice and in general go about your life as normal. Remembering that most people who get it won’t even feel ill.

Posting on a Disney forum telling people to cancel their thousands of dollar trips isn’t going to be very popular 😆

Gringrinngghost

2 deaths in florida, inching ever so closer to the parks.

In its current announced counties, in No way is it inching closer, if anything is going further.
2020-03-07 04_48_58-Coronavirus COVID-19 (2019-nCoV).png

Gringrinngghost

I would think part of the hysteria is at the pharmacy or grocery store. Try finding hand sanitizer, bleach, kleenex, TP , Lysol, cough and flu meds, face masks, antiseptic wipes as examples. At Disney World, it's not the real world, that's part of the Magic😉.
In Kissimmee, yes some stuff is sparse but how much of it is those from out of state purchasing it to take home...

Lilofan

I have never understood that and have always been very grossed out by it. Especially people that have exited a stall. Forget about whether you just were there for a #1 or a #2 but you are touching the latch and door that countless others have touched after using the bathroom. And people wonder how I became a germaphobe!
In regards to using the toilets, this is where and when man composes his greatest thoughts..😉

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
In its current announced counties, in No way is it inching closer, if anything is going further.
View attachment 454448

And what if the individuals in Tampa and/or Broward are AP holders and were at the parks 2 weeks ago? Not sayin' they were. But there is no certainty on that. As more cases begin to emerge in Florida. No matter Jacksonville, West Palm Beach, or Miami....the chance of a recent visit to WDW increases.

I'm not trying to fearmonger. And for what it's worth (as serious as the issue is) - The MSM is sensationalizing this. Everybody needs to take breath, educate themselves on this thing, and then use some common sense.

durangojim

My wife works in the ER at a major metro hospital, she thinks this is ridiculous...and that makes me an expert, but seriously I am bringing a group of 20 teens to GKTW in about three weeks with one day at MK. I am not concerned about the virus. I am concerned about the hysteria.
That’s wonderful but please make sure if any of the teens you’re taking show signs of the virus you all don’t go. The kids/patients at GKTW are at high risk for serious complications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom