Using Disney Transportation at Skyliner Resorts

ExtinctJenn

Years and years of trips and on every single one, we've used our own vehicle to travel back and forth from the resort to the parks. This was primarily because we liked the "control" of being able to come and go as we please but, about 8 years ago it became more about our son and his experience with "public" transportation options as a child on the autism spectrum. Since that time, he's grown and matured. Also, since that time, Disney has dropped free parking if you're staying on property, started charging just to park at the resorts, and implemented the Skyliner. You can likely see where this is going...

We leave Monday for our next trip and have essentially decided that we are going to leverage Disney transportation to get around. We are staying at Pop Century so, for our trips to Epcot and DHS that's a no-brainer (Skyliner station). I was reading recently, however, that since the implementation of the Skyliner, those resorts with their own stations have had busses reduced to every hour (to encourage use of the Skyliner instead obviously). What I can't seem to confirm is... is that just for the parks that the Skyliner visits or in general? In other words, does that mean that busses to/from MK and DAK will also be running every hour?

Huge thanks in advance!

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
The reduction in buses is to Epcot and DHS only, since Disney wants the Skyliner to be the primary form of transport for guests staying at the Skyliner-serviced resorts. Buses to MK and AK will operate on the “approximately every 20 minutes” schedule like every other resort.
Thanks so much! This was my assumption but, as I couldn't find anything that 100% confirmed, I wanted to be sure.

Upvote 0

Pooh'sBuddy

@ExtinctJenn, we have the same questions, specifically whether Skyliner begins operating early enough so we can make rope drop at DHS and EPCOT or our early ADR at MK. I hope all your plans work out for y'all and you have a Magical time.

Upvote 0

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
@ExtinctJenn, we have the same questions, specifically whether Skyliner begins operating early enough so we can make rope drop at DHS and EPCOT or our early ADR at MK. I hope all your plans work out for y'all and you have a Magical time.
Everything I've seen on that topic has said they usually start operating around 7:30 and to definitely not rely on them for rope drop.

Upvote 0

Kingoglow

Just came back from a trip and this is what we were told by a CM managing the Bus transportation ques at Art of Animation (approx. 7:20 AM).

She announced to the people standing in the Hollywood Studios line (my line) that the Skyliner will begin operating at 8:00am (DHS opened at 8 am that day). And that at 8:00 AM, bus service from AoA to DHS would reduce to once an hour, at the top of each hour.

Can't tell you is that is what everyone experiences, or if it was just for that particular day. The CM was very loud and confidently makings this announcement to everyone at the same time, so it was not just some rumor or one-off advice that she was passing along.

YMMV

Upvote 0

Diesel Dan

We stayed at POP Feb 15-22 and used the Skyliner a bunch of times and was great! Seemed faster than the buses. It began running about 7:30 am even though it was posted 8am. You really noticed it at park closing. There was a big line at closing to get on the Skyliner at the Studios but the line never stopped and just kept moving, boarding everyone within minutes. The buses seemed to be around every half hour or so for Epcot and the Studios. My wife and son did take a 7 am bus to the Studios one morning to get in for the 8am Boarding Pass follies. They had just missed a bus while walking to the bus stop and a second us came minutes later. I think they may run more frequent buses until the Skyliner opens. You will really like Skyliner, a 3 year old in our group said it was his favorite ide at Disney.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Its only for EPCOT and HS.
They would not reduce buses to park that don't offer the Skyliner.
BTW if you want to arrive to arrive early to EPCOT and HS especially then you'll be looking at taking a bus or ride share since the Skyliner does not tend to run as early as the buses.

Upvote 0

Deuce84p

Does anyone know how early and often the busses run before the Skyliner opens? Specifically to DHS. I'm not too concerned about rope dropping Epcot for our next trip unless Ratatouille opens. Seems like they run more often before the Skyliner begins running every morning, but was curious how much more often. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Dad 2 M & M

Just came back from a trip and this is what we were told by a CM managing the Bus transportation ques at Art of Animation (approx. 7:20 AM).

She announced to the people standing in the Hollywood Studios line (my line) that the Skyliner will begin operating at 8:00am (DHS opened at 8 am that day). And that at 8:00 AM, bus service from AoA to DHS would reduce to once an hour, at the top of each hour.

Can't tell you is that is what everyone experiences, or if it was just for that particular day. The CM was very loud and confidently makings this announcement to everyone at the same time, so it was not just some rumor or one-off advice that she was passing along.

YMMV
There tends to be shared AoA/Pop buses during those "once an hour" scenarios. While the "top of each hour bus" is resort specific, shared buses are being dispatched as needed if the barn lines/crowds appear....

**edit** the shared busing tends to be midday.....

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Does anyone know how early and often the busses run before the Skyliner opens? Specifically to DHS. I'm not too concerned about rope dropping Epcot for our next trip unless Ratatouille opens. Seems like they run more often before the Skyliner begins running every morning, but was curious how much more often. Thanks!
Buses to DHS will begin operating 60-75 minutes prior to park opening. Being at the bus stop at least an hour before park opening will ensure you will make it on an early bus and be at the park for rope drop. How often/how many buses run from the Skyliner resorts before the Skyliner opens will vary based on crowds, the need to load ECVs, etc.

Upvote 0

Deuce84p

Buses to DHS will begin operating 60-75 minutes prior to park opening. Being at the bus stop at least an hour before park opening will ensure you will make it on an early bus and be at the park for rope drop. How often/how many buses run from the Skyliner resorts before the Skyliner opens will vary based on crowds, the need to load ECVs, etc.
Thank you, very helpful!

Upvote 0

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Just an update on what our experience ended up being... specifically on Studios day: The park opened at 8:00. The Skyliner was set to begin running at 7:30 so we were in the long line for it at about 7:15. They ended up starting them up at 7:20 and we arrived to the Studios, and were through bag check and in the main gate, by 7:55.

As most folks want to arrive at the Studios for a specific reason, I'll also add that yes, we got a boarding group for Rise (59).

Also - important note that conflicted with what I thought was the case... If you are staying on property you DO still get free parking at the parks. As such, we used the Skyliner to get to Epcot and Studios and drove to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, completely avoiding the buses.

Upvote 0

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Thank you, Jenn. You've confirmed our plans to Uber/Lyft it to DHS. That would be too stressful for me. I'd be like Joan Cusack in Broadcast News running the video tape to the booth.
I will admit that, despite it all working out for us, I was a ball of stress the entire time. I looked at my watch every 30-seconds as I waited in line for bag check (and of course had picked the slowest line) and literally stared at it the entire time we were in line for entry. To make matters worse, at 8:00 when the announcement was made, and I clicked to join a boarding group, it thought for a few seconds and then gave a network error. Needless to say I was freaking out. Then the app said we were already in a boarding group every time I tried again but, didn't show us in a group. By about 8:03 it refreshed and confirmed we were all set but those were probably the most stressful 43 minutes of my life.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom