Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeS7

There are going to be the 2 cycles that make this particularly bad for the US:

1. Person gets sick, infection is discovered
2. Self-quarantine is issued
3. Self-quarantine is violated, either due to the need to work to cover medical expenses or due to the person not wanting to inconvenience themselves (we've already seen this with a patient in New Hampshire)
4. Infection spreads, rinse-and-repeat

1. Person gets sick, does not see doctor either due to high costs or lack of PTO (or even any time off at all)
2. Person goes about their life as usual
3. Infection spreads, rinse-and-repeat

We're also not equipped to really handle measures that other countries have taken. If public transit gets shutdown, there would be massive issues. If schools shutdown, people may not be able to skip work to care for their children and/or can't afford childcare even if they do go to work.

Couple that with the distrust in information being provided by actual health officials and we're woefully unequipped to handle something like this. I get that many people will not be affected severely by it, but you can still aid in the spread of it to those who will be. Taking the 2% mortality rate at face value, that's 6 million+ Americans potentially dead from this if we see it become widespread. I'm not saying we should panic, but at the same time we should also not treat this as "oh, it's nothing" or "oh, it won't affect me" instead of viewing the impact this could have on our communities as a whole.

Gringrinngghost

We're also not equipped to really handle measures that other countries have taken. If public transit gets shutdown, there would be massive issues. If schools shutdown, people may not be able to skip work to care for their children and/or can't afford childcare even if they do go to work.
We shall see how some of this works in Washington.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Let alone people going to work, the grocery store, anywhere with moderate illness....we all know huge number of people continue on with their uber preplanned Disney adventure no matter what....and few weeks ago I overheard someone stating their adult child who is a doctor married to a doctor leaving sick with a fever on vacation to WDW with children, not sure why this surprised me but think it was the factor of it being a doctor...so like they would be MORE responsible....:rolleyes:. One trip we all got ill 3 days into trip, airplane germs, and stayed in our hotel room ordering room service until our fevers broke and we were feeling better. Thank GOD it was my only extended trip of 10 days so all in all I did not miss the majority of what I wanted to do...but sure we passed on some germs before we KNEW we were sick..... :cool:. So currently I am more concerned about pickup of germs on airplanes than in parks.....not sure how logical that is..... majority of people in parks came via plane....:angelic:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Let alone people going to work, the grocery store, anywhere with moderate illness....we all know huge number of people continue on with their uber preplanned Disney adventure no matter what....and few weeks ago I overheard someone stating their adult child who is a doctor married to a doctor leaving sick with a fever on vacation to WDW with children, not sure why this surprised me but think it was the factor of it being a doctor...so like they would be MORE responsible....:rolleyes:. One trip we all got ill 3 days into trip, airplane germs, and stayed in our hotel room ordering room service until our fevers broke and we were feeling better. Thank GOD it was my only extended trip of 10 days so all in all I did not miss the majority of what I wanted to do...but sure we passed on some germs before we KNEW we were sick..... :cool:. So currently I am more concerned about pickup of germs on airplanes than in parks.....not sure how logical that is..... majority of people in parks came via plane....:angelic:

I’ve made this point Several times: we shouldn’t discount the hype of Disney and maturity level of the travelers here - comparatively speaking.

Jenny72

One factor is refunds. Does Disney give you a break if you cancel packages, reservations, etc. last minute because of illness? (I don't know because I've been lucky enough to not be sick.) My impression is that they don't, right? So I can imagine someone saying, "welp, I have a fever, but we're out $8000 if we cancel, so..." Or maybe they would change that policy now to encourage people to cancel if they're sick?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One factor is refunds. Does Disney give you a break if you cancel packages, reservations, etc. last minute because of illness? (I don't know because I've been lucky enough to not be sick.) My impression is that they don't, right? So I can imagine someone saying, "welp, I have a fever, but we're out $8000 if we cancel, so..." Or maybe they would change that policy now to encourage people to cancel if they're sick?

Good point...Disney isn’t exactly willing to give cash back...so that wouldn’t be helpful in the decision making process

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Well travel insurance covers some things, airfare.... I always ala carte things, so my tickets can be repurposed value wise....ADR's can be cancelled, think 24 hour on resorts …..but think its different when you purchase a package? RIght now I have tickets for DLR which still have no date assigned, but do expire in one years time, but never truly expire, I can use price paid to pay for future tickets with increases applied.:happy:

danitaytay

Extremely late to the convo, but I'm supposed to move down to WDW on June 1st for my DCP. Do you think Disney would cancel our program because of the virus? I'm starting to get very nervous

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Gotta love being an expendable college student! But in all honesty, I would be absolutely devastated if they did cancel
In all honesty: it’s very unlikely. College program is EXTREMELY advantageous to Disney. Even when they’ve had severe economic impacts -
CPs have actually been expanded while other labor classifications go.

If they were to “cancel” it? It means we have much bigger problems going on in Orlando

danitaytay

In all honesty: it’s very unlikely. College program is EXTREMELY advantageous to Disney. Even when they’ve had severe economic impacts -
CPs have actually been expanded while other labor classifications go.

If they were to “cancel” it? It means we have much bigger problems going on in Orlando

I absolutely agree. It's also my number one chance to having a future with the company full-time so I need this. But seeing what's going on in California now definitely is nerve-wracking.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
My company, with offices all over the country, just cancelled all travel conferences and arbitration hearings through May.

ELG13

My company, with offices all over the country, just cancelled all travel conferences and arbitration hearings through May.
My friend works for a Boston based company, we are in Florida, and they canceled through the end of the month for now. They stopped travel at the end of February.

LukeS7

The college that I work for is discouraging international travel and announced today that they're going to make a go/no-go call on Study Abroad courses through the summer by the 23rd

MagicWDI

Extremely late to the convo, but I'm supposed to move down to WDW on June 1st for my DCP. Do you think Disney would cancel our program because of the virus? I'm starting to get very nervous
It all depends on if the virus spreads and if it creates more concern to public health. I don't know if anyone really has an answer to this and is most definitely in the column of uncertainty. Maybe base it on what other businesses have done so far...

montyz81

Numbers are cherry picked...apparently just like actual indisputable facts these days.

Ask yourself: are traders scared that their 12 year drug trip of greed is gonna coming crashing down on them?

You bet your **** they are. So when that happens - just make it up as a cover story while you try to cash out
Tell me what indisputable facts you are talking about... if you bring up the mortality rate, then you will be just as guilty as the people you claim are cherry-picking the numbers. The mortality rate is based on those contracting the disease vs those that have lost their lives from the disease. The fact is, nobody really knows the mortality rate since the number of those that have contracted the disease can not be determined. So, yes the numerical facts are disputable. Also, what these news outlets are not telling you is that it is estimated that more then 50% of the 95k confirmed cases have already gotten over the virus. Why can't we report that and make people feel a bit less stressed about the disease?

The real fact is that social media is what is causing the dissemination of inaccurate information resulting in a scare or panic that does not need to happen. My company just had a call with a doctor working with the CDC and their position is still to treat this as you would a flu virus. Be smart about cleanliness, drink lots of water and stay home when you are sick, go to the hospital if you are really sick. A vaccine will be available between 6 months and a year.

I recommend everyone listen only to the CDC and other worldwide medical outlets for more factual information and not make judgments based on biased news outlets.

MagicWDI

Tell me what indisputable facts you are talking about... if you bring up the mortality rate, then you will be just as guilty as the people you claim are cherry-picking the numbers. The mortality rate is based on those contracting the disease vs those that have lost their lives from the disease. The fact is, nobody really knows the mortality rate since the number of those that have contracted the disease can not be determined. So, yes the numerical facts are disputable. Also, what these news outlets are not telling you is that it is estimated that more then 50% of the 95k confirmed cases have already gotten over the virus. Why can't we report that and make people feel a bit less stressed about the disease?

The real fact is that social media is what is causing the dissemination of inaccurate information resulting in a scare or panic that does not need to happen. My company just had a call with a doctor working with the CDC and their position is still to treat this as you would a flu virus. Be smart about cleanliness, drink lots of water and stay home when you are sick, go to the hospital if you are really sick. A vaccine will be available between 6 months and a year.

I recommend everyone listen only to the CDC and other worldwide medical outlets for more factual information and not make judgments based on biased news outlets.
Did they specifically say a vaccine will be available within six months to a year? That's the most ambitious estimate I've heard, comparing to all the other official reports from other health experts of 12 to 18 months on an expedited schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom