Who has NEVER been to a rope-drop?

Simba’s Mom

Back in the olden days (like 60's and 70's) I could do DL from rope drop to park closing. Now, even with an old guy nap every day, I find I have to book a less active day maybe 3 days or so into a trip. Otherwise I hit the Disney wall, and just stumble around till it's time to eat.

Yup, exact same situation here. There used to be a time when I could go from opening until they kicked me out of the park. On my last trip, I made rope drop a couple times, but if so, I was always back at my resort before dinnertime.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
There used to be a time when I could go from opening until they kicked me out of the park.

Yep. Me too. Nowadays I'm back at 8pm with a Lapu Lapu, or sipping a Granny, or a Macallan - and eating some Sushi, Potstickers, Fried Mozzarella, or the equivalent as I watch families walk by who are 100% losing their s#&t - 'Cause they were there since rope drop.

Sucks getting old. But there are still benefits.

Every once in a while I meet people like me -and we make a drinking game out it. Shots at Disney can get expensive though.

Moka

I live about 45 min from WDW, never. We literally go on days that parks close around 10-11PM, and get there between 4-5 with our fastpasses. We enjoy it still. We don’t have a need to get RD.

HongKongFooy

two proudest things about Disney, never seen a rope drop or someone yack...

Coincidentally I saw a kid yack fairly close to Yak & Yeti Animal Kingdom and another time in an outside overflow queue for Buzz Lityr. in Tokyo Disneyland.

The Tokyo chunk spray was particularly messy with an impressive range say 3+ ft. disrupting what was an orderly wait.

The Empress Lilly

In all the times I've been to Disney World (or Disneyland for that matter), and there have been many, I've never been to a rope drop/park opening ceremony. If I'm going on vacation and want to sleep in until 9 or 10 a.m., I'm going to take advantage of this! I'm not a morning person, so it would not be in my best interest to get up at 5:00 a.m. and be at rope-drop when the park (any one of them) is about to open.

Who else has never been to a rope drop, and don't think they'll ever get to one?
I'll drop dead before I'll do a rope drop.

I'm on holiday. I sleep. Then I get up when I want. I've a fairly established routine of 'yoga wif DGF, breakfast, pool, coffee plus work mails, then slowly make my way to the parks'.

I refuse to be disciplined by TWDC to get up at 5am. Lunacy.

Last edited:

HongKongFooy

Do Euros and the South Americans rope it? Those cats view time differently than home grown USAers, Japanese and Korea folk.

Does Nigel out of UK and Brazil's Tatiana rope drop?

AugieMorosco

I always do rope drop. The main reason is that you can get so much done in the first couple of hours of the day. As a buddy once said to me - "Wah wah waaah! You can sleep when you're dead! Bring me another beer!!!"
It made me laugh that first response was "I always do rope drop."

Jabbas

I roped drop Magic Kingdom about 2 years ago and rode almost every single ride in the park. And I don’t have the desire to ever do it again, but it was nice to be able to do everything. It really is the only way to see everything in one day..I went to magic kingdom 3 weeks ago and even the magic carpets had 70 a minute wait. I have kids now so I just go with the flow.

Walt Disney1955

I have no idea why I have never done the rope drop. It always seems like the sort of thing I'd do. But never have. I guess I always underestimate the time you take parking and either taking the ferry or monorail in there.

macefamily

I'm usually up and running for breakfast to bring it back to the room for the family. They will all sleep most of the morning if I don't wake them up and for that reason, we have only been to one rope drop because we had a breakfast reservation for Be Our Guest. I liked it because the park was definitely less crowded. We'll be doing rope drop at Hollywood Studios this Saturday to try and get into a RotR group.

unmitigated disaster

I'm totally not a morning person: I work graveyard by choice! But we always rope drop because we want to get to the Parks. Sitting around waiting to hit the Parks is irritating.

Trackmaster

Try this:

Assuming we are going to parks for enjoyment "getting things done" sounds like tasking, laboring or working on obligated projects.

The verbiage is bizarre.

.....like the ubiquitous comment coming from a server as I'm towards the end of a sit-down meal:

"Are you still working on that?"

It's not freakin tax return nor a backyard fence that needs repair ......it's supposed to be an enjoyable eating experience not something laborious....... So no, I'm not still "working on it"

Honestly, that's part of the fun for me. By your logic you would never play board games, video games, or sports, because there's too much thinking involved, and you just want to relax when you're trying to have fun (so you just watch TV or something instead). I see going to a theme park as kind of a game. You thousands of competitors, and you're trying to find a way to either take their ride laps, or find a way to spread the laps around so that everybody gets some.

I find gameplanning and stategizing to get massive production hauls more appealing than winging it, standing in endless stand-by lines, and not getting on anything.

MickeyLuv'r

There are times when RD isn't a significant benefit:

If you RD to the standby line of 7DMT or SDD on a bad, day, and lose most of the 1st hour on 1 ride. Ugh!

While I can handle a brisk walk, I'm also not a fan of the aggressive me-me-me, gotta-be-FIRST folks. when one of those folks kept ramming me with his stroller - even though there was nowhere for us to go, it wasn't a magical way to start the day.

When the bus/boat never comes.

Most often we tended to arrive just after RD. Mostly getting the benefits of RD, but also that little bit of extra sleep.

We long used both ends of the peripheral park hours.

But alas, late night park hours have now gone the way of $10 E-ride nights.

Trackmaster

There are times when RD isn't a significant benefit:

If you RD to the standby line of 7DMT or SDD on a bad, day, and lose most of the 1st hour on 1 ride. Ugh!

While I can handle a brisk walk, I'm also not a fan of the aggressive me-me-me, gotta-be-FIRST folks. when one of those folks kept ramming me with his stroller - even though there was nowhere for us to go, it wasn't a magical way to start the day.

When the bus/boat never comes.

Most often we tended to arrive just after RD. Mostly getting the benefits of RD, but also that little bit of extra sleep.

We long used both ends of the peripheral park hours.

But alas, late night park hours have now gone the way of $10 E-ride nights.

Honestly, you're better off closing parks down than rope dropping. If you plan to spend the whole day. The only advantage of rope dropping if that it extends your day. Instead of getting 9 hours of action, you get 11. But Disney crowds start out fast. Everybody thinks they can handle a full day at the park, but a few hours before close, the guests start to walk around like zombies. If you get to the park later, you can be cleaning up when everyone's leaving or falling asleep.

Weather_Lady

We rope drop when we have to, which tends to be often -- like when there's an attraction we couldn't get a Fastpass for that would otherwise have a prohibitive wait (e.g., Flight of Passage), or where we couldn't ride at all unless we were there at rope drop (e.g., Rise of the Resistance at Hollywood Studios). Rides are the #1 draw for my family, so on balance, we'd rather get up early and stand around for an extra hour in the morning, than stand in lines for several extra hours in the afternoon. Late evenings aren't really a viable option anymore, either: even during February break 2 weeks ago, the parks closed at 8pm or 9pm most nights.

Also, in our case, we're all up for work and school by 6:00am at the latest every morning anyway, so even if we're rolling out of bed on vacation at 7 or 7:30am to get ready for a rope drop somewhere, we've already "slept in" as far as we're concerned. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom