News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

lazyboy97o

Some people are thinking that the reason theyre not giving Chapek keys to the creative side of the company is because there still not 100% in on Chapek. And it kinda makes sense. The fact theyre not giving Chapek the creative keys (i.e. the lifeblood of the company) until he proves to Iger/the Board he can oversee that effectively. Hypothetically if Chapek screws up hard prior to Dec 2021 they have a backup successor in Kevin Mayer.
But since when is Iger creative?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Iger is lauded as an “administrative head”...but never as a “creative guy”. All the way back to his day’s af capitol cities.

There are two places where egos drive decisions more than in pro sports: Wall Street and Hollywood.

Could this low-risk arrangement - power without accountability - be Bob’s attempt to round out his legacy?

That would be an interesting idea. “Creative head”.

If that’s his play...I know who needs to get fired first. Chappie can drive up highway 1 and deliver the pink slip 😎

UNCgolf

That's wishful thinking. Chapek and Iger got rid of her and her position. She is now in San Francisco working for Airnb.

Airbnb could be in some trouble this year. And I don't mean because of the coronavirus, although that will likely lead to a significant hit as well.

Not that any of it would affect her position though.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Also seen some speculation that the board are not happy with the early results of the Fox acquisition. Not sure how much that would play into todays announcement though.
Why would they be happy? That was a very odd purchase and I’m not sure what the company gained. The othe big purchases (Lucas, Pixar, Marvel) made a lot more sense, even if I wasn’t thrilled with marvel being added to Disney.

I think FOX was Iger’s power rangers.

Darkprime

If there's one thing id like to see happen under Chapek is to see the spending slow down a bit when it comes to acquisitions. If they must get Spider-Man back then do it but that should be it for a long time. Iger admitted a while back Disney was in the red following the fox purchase.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Also seen some speculation that the board are not happy with the early results of the Fox acquisition. Not sure how much that would play into todays announcement though.
Why would they be happy? That was a very odd purchase and I’m not sure what the company gained. The othe big purchases (Lucas, Pixar, Marvel) made a lot more sense, even if I wasn’t thrilled with marvel being added to Disney.

I still see no angle to that fox buy.

The assumption was it would make Disney + a powerhouse...

But the PG only decision threw that notion off the tracks before it left the station.

Darkprime

I still like the idea of Disney just acquiring a few of Fox's IP like Avatar,Kingsman,Alien. Not the whole enterprise however the rumor at the time was this couldn't happen because Murdoch wanted an all or nothing deal he didn't want to go the route of splitting everything up because the process was just too lengthy.

el_super

I seriously doubt that in less than two years he's suddenly going to be capable of running a company on the scale of Disney, even with help from Big Bob.

Eisner said the same thing about Iger.

Now this could make some sense...chapek would never be hired if he was brought in from the outside...so “probationary period” does make some sense...

There is no such thing as probationary CEO. Iger has to stick around to soothe Wall Street which is generally, against change and super pro-Iger staying forever.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Eisner said the same thing about Iger.

There is no such thing as probationary CEO. Iger has to stick around to soothe Wall Street which is generally, against change and super pro-Iger staying forever.
1. Eisner was right. Iger is not creative. Never has been. He’s a “facilitator”

2. There’s a first time for anything. Chapek is not qualified to be a modern Fortune 500, Dow 30 CEO. There’s nothing on the resume to justify that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom