Timing question?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
We haven't booked yet but will be booking soon.
Going August 24th to 29th.
On the 24th we will arrive early, go to DS and then go to AK maybe around 4pm.
Our only plans at AK are FOP, Dinosaur, and EE, and maybe the Safari if there's time. And my sister would like to see Pandora lit up.
We have wanted to try Trails End dinner and this is the first trip that we have found a time to fit it in.
We'll be going on the 24th.
So here is my timing question.
With going to AK at 4pm and doing 3 attractions presumably with FP and then a 4th if we can get another FP... what time should we make our Trails End ADR for and how long prior should we be exiting AK?
AK closes at 8pm that day and Trails End closes at 9pm.
I was thinking make the ADR for 8:15pm and leave AK by 7:30pm but I'd like your input.
We don't go to AK often and rarely in the evening so I just have a lot of experience with how crowds will be getting to the bus and I've also never been to Ft. Wilderness.

nickys

Premium Member
Our only plans at AK are FOP, Dinosaur, and EE, and maybe the Safari if there's time. And my sister would like to see Pandora lit up.
We have wanted to try Trails End dinner and this is the first trip that we have found a time to fit it in.
With going to AK at 4pm and doing 3 attractions presumably with FP and then a 4th if we can get another FP... what time should we make our Trails End ADR for and how long prior should we be exiting AK?
I was thinking make the ADR for 8:15pm and leave AK by 7:30pm but I'd like your input.
We don't go to AK often and rarely in the evening so I just have a lot of experience with how crowds will be getting to the bus and I've also never been to Ft. Wilderness.

How would you be going from AK to Trails End?

If you go by bus to FW, I think you’d have to change to the internal bus. Or face a long walk.

If you took a bus to MK or the Contemporary (or WL), you could then get a boat which take sYou much closer to Trails End.

But either way I would allow an hour to get there. Why not just book for 8:30pm/8:45pm and give yourself as much time as possible?

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
How would you be going from AK to Trails End?

If you go by bus to FW, I think you’d have to change to the internal bus. Or face a long walk.

If you took a bus to MK or the Contemporary (or WL), you could then get a boat which take sYou much closer to Trails End.

But either way I would allow an hour to get there. Why not just book for 8:30pm/8:45pm and give yourself as much time as possible?

Hmm yeah wasn't thinking about all those logistics.
Maybe I'll do 8:30pm then and leave at 7:30pm.
Which bus method would you suggest to get there?
I've never used ride share but my friend just did a few weeks ago and said it was great so maybe we'll end up doing that.
Would you happen to know around what time Pandora starts lighting up?

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Hmm yeah wasn't thinking about all those logistics.
Maybe I'll do 8:30pm then and leave at 7:30pm.
Which bus method would you suggest to get there?
I've never used ride share but my friend just did a few weeks ago and said it was great so maybe we'll end up doing that.
Would you happen to know around what time Pandora starts lighting up?

Ride share will only get you to the front of FW. However you could get a ride share to the Contemporary and get the boat from there. Just be aware if there’s lightning in the area the boats will stop running.,

I assume Pandora starts lighting up at sunset, maybe a little before. But not certain about that.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

Sunset on that date in Orlando is probably pretty late. Maybe 8pm. They will likely start lighting stuff up before the sun has fully set, but it feels like a pretty full couple of hours to me. Your 3(4) attractions are at the opposite corners of the park. Maybe you can do it. FP1 3:30-4:30 for dinosaur, FP2 4:30-5:30 for Everest, FP3 5:30-6:30 for FOP then backtrack to safari. Swing back through Pandora to hopefully see lights on the way out by 7:30. I would take the bus to Fort Wilderness and hop on the internal bus. It only takes a few min. But I would make your trails end res for as late as possible.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Ok I think I'll just take the bus and then use the internal bus.

We are fast walkers and we are never at AK for more than a few hours so I don't think it will be difficult to do what we wen in about 3 hours especially with having FP's.
I was thinking get FOP FP first because the others will be easier to move up.
Although I could get one for Dinosaur 3:30pm-4:30pm, EE 4:30pm-5:30pm, and FOP 5:30pm-6:30pm and between EE and FOP see if the Safari is doable.

Since the park closes at 8pm I'm guessing Pandora will light up quite a bit earlier than that so people can enjoy it.
Hoping for about 7pm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RememberWhen

Ok I think I'll just take the bus and then use the internal bus.

We are fast walkers and we are never at AK for more than a few hours so I don't think it will be difficult to do what we wen in about 3 hours especially with having FP's.
I was thinking get FOP FP first because the others will be easier to move up.

Since the park closes at 8pm I'm guessing Pandora will light up quite a bit earlier than that so people can enjoy it.
Hoping for about 7pm.
Sounds like a plan! You’re probably right about the FP times. I was thinking it might be hard to get a FP earlier in the day for FOP, but maybe that won’t be a problem. We’re also planning an Animal Kingdom afternoon for our arrival day and I’m not counting on getting FOP FP.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Sounds like a plan! You’re probably right about the FP times. I was thinking it might be hard to get a FP earlier in the day for FOP, but maybe that won’t be a problem. We’re also planning an Animal Kingdom afternoon for our arrival day and I’m not counting on getting FOP FP.

I think it depends on the number of people in your party.
I only have 2 and last time we went 60+1 and there was plenty of availability some in the morning but more in the afternoon/evening.

Although I could get one for Dinosaur 3:30pm-4:30pm, EE 4:30pm-5:30pm, and FOP 5:30pm-6:30pm and between EE and FOP see if the Safari is doable.Then it wouldn't be as back and forth.

Upvote 0

JohnD

You have a lot planned for one day on 8/24: DS, AK, and Trails End in FW? That's a lot. I say ditch DS on the front end or TE on the back end but not bookended around AK.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
You have a lot planned for one day on 8/24: DS, AK, and Trails End in FW? That's a lot. I say ditch DS on the front end or TE on the back end but not bookended around AK.

Meh we really just plan on eating at EOS and wandering around at DS plus the next day we will be going to MNSSHP so no other park that day.
Just sleeping in and lounging until lunch.
Its just my sister and I and we are warrior style vacationers.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Meh we really just plan on eating at EOS and wandering around at DS plus the next day we will be going to MNSSHP so no other park that day.
Just sleeping in and lounging until lunch.
Its just my sister and I and we are warrior style vacationers.

You ain't kidding. You show up at AK at 4pm then almost immediately turn around and leave it for TE. Are you driving in? AP holders? If both, you're better off driving to AK, actually. Then you can drive straight to FW. Also, on your schedule, you won't see Pandora lit up. Being that August is in DST, you'll be leaving AK before sundown.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
You ain't kidding. You show up at AK at 4pm then almost immediately turn around and leave it for TE. Are you driving in? AP holders? If both, you're better off driving to AK, actually. Then you can drive straight to FW.

No. Flying in and will have a 4 day park hoppers.
We can easily do what we want in AK in a few hours lol.
AK 24th, MNSSHP 25th, HS/MK 26th, HS/EPCOT 27th, MK/EPCOT 28th. leave on the 29th.

Upvote 0

JohnD

No. Flying in and will have a 4 day park hoppers.
AK 24th, MNSSHP 25th, HS/MK 26th, HS/EPCOT 27th, MK/EPCOT 28th. leave on the 29th.

Okay. Then you have to decide which is more important: Seeing Pandora lit up or leaving AK at 7:30pm for TE. It won't be dark when you leave. Looking at your schedule, could you schedule time away from MK on 8/26 to eat at TE? You could take a boat from MK to FW. You'll probably get a lot of MK done during MNSSHP party.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Okay. Then you have to decide which is more important: Seeing Pandora lit up or leaving AK at 7:30pm for TE. It won't be dark when you leave. Looking at your schedule, could you schedule time away from MK on 8/26 to eat at TE? You could take a boat from MK to FW. You'll probably get a lot of MK done during MNSSHP party.

The park closes at 8pm. Sunset is at 7:55pm.
My guess is they have to light it up by 7:30pm at the latest in order for anyone to be able to see Pandora lit up.
I'd even venture that they would light it up at 7pm.
If that's the case then we'd be able to see it no problem.
I could push the ADR to 8:45pm.
We already have plans for dining for the other days.
This was the only time that would work well for us.

Upvote 0

JohnD

The park closes at 8pm. Sunset is at 7:55pm.
My guess is they have to light it up by 7:30pm at the latest in order for anyone to be able to see Pandora lit up.
I'd even venture that they would light it up at 7pm.
If that's the case then we'd be able to see it no problem.
I could push the ADR to 8:45pm.
We already have plans for dining for the other days.
This was the only time that would work well for us.

Okay. You asked for input. . .

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Okay. You asked for input. . .

I did but just input on timing of leaving AK and getting to TE not "Don't do xyz".
If TE was an option for lunch then I'd just go prior to MNSSHP but unfortunately its not and we rather not leave MK to go eat and then decide whether we should go back to the park or head back to the resort.

Upvote 0

ELG13

I'd suggest a bus to contemporary or wilderness lodge and ride the boat to ft.wilderness. We stay at the fort every year and we LOATHE the busses there. The boat will basically drop you off at the front door. That being said it is a bit of a treck from AK to those locations. Id try for the latest ADR you can get just to be safe. I'll also say, pandora at night is cool I guess but I definitely wouldn't call it "lit up". It's fairly dark actually. We got take out from trails end on a whim one night and we're pleasantly surprised! There will be construction going on so there will be walls all up and no beach lounging....just so you aren't disappointed. We are so bummed about it!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom