News Expect closure of Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland to impact Walt Disney World

Creathir

True, but this virus (I really hope) shouldn't have the financial impact that 9/11 did for the US in 2001. I never understood that decision since they were 75% complete with the Legendary section of the resort.
Exactly.
Unless this thing actually continues to grow unabated, which is unlikely as the winter months (read primary flu incubation periods) come to an end, this will not have the impact 9/11 did.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Nah, pretty sure the main thing that is gonna be cut in WDW is 50th entertainment, entertainment cuts usually always come first at WDW.
Entertainment and staff cuts happen when the quarterly numbers need to be finessed to make @realBobChapek look like a competent executive. More draconian and radical trimmings come when you close half of your international parks.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I should be clear these were just random predictions.
Good ones and unfortunately accurate.

I hate alluding and comparing things to the effects of 9/11, but I could easily see a scenario in which this has a cascade effect on P&R for a several years because of the loss in revenue from China. It just won't go back to normal quickly.

TrainsOfDisney

How will the cuts affect DLP (now completely owned by TWDC)?

Will part of the expansion of WDSP be delayed? Will the return of the Mark Twain still happen? Will Walt's and the RR reopen this year?

I’m fearful about this too. I’ve been trying to plan a trip to DLP when the railroad is back open. It could very well be a once in a life trip for me and I would really like to ride the trains there.

Rosso11

I don’t know I’m still not sold Disney is going to make these drastic cuts already. This is a very different situation than 9/11. I was working for Disney during that time period. The parks were a ghost town for years out of pure fear of flying. This is a very different situation today outside of Asia. And yes it sounds like an incredible amount of money they are losing right now but the Walt Disney company has lost just as much money on movie bombs in the past. One example alone was John Carter which had a 200 million dollar write off. And this back In 2012 when the company was significantly smaller than it is today. Disney can manage this lose for now much better than in the past. It has grown tremendously since 9/11 which was a much much worse situation. The company today is 12.5 times larger than in 2001. Will there be cuts? Absolutely small cuts like entertainment and watching hours. Stoping the Avengers E Ticket? I’m not convinced yet. But we shall see.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I was working for Disney during that time period. The parks were a ghost town for years out of pure fear of flying. This is a very different situation today outside of Asia.
How much different can it be when arriving aircraft are subjected to delays and embargoes as detailed here...

techgeek

I don’t know I’m still not sold Disney is going to make these drastic cuts already. This is a very different situation than 9/11. I was working for Disney during that time period. The parks were a ghost town for years out of pure fear of flying. This is a very different situation today outside of Asia.

Today, yes. Outside of Asia there has yet to be a singular news story related to this to galvanize public awareness and perception. Instead, it’s been a slow and steady trickle of bad news... which for better or worse has allowed it to largely play out ‘beneath the fold’ of western media. I think anyone involved in the travel / leisure industry respects just how quickly that can turn.

One thing that is the same is the level of uncertainty about the safety of future travel. On 9/12, a lot of business decisions were made. I’m seeing a lot of those same sort of decisions being made now, only played out in stages and over weeks and by region and sector instead of everywhere all at once. No one seems to know what this will look like in a month, let alone how it will affect summer travel.

When you look at that uncertainty, coupled with the unprecedented events thus far (a whole region of travel shuttered, the cruise and airline industry globally on edge, major conferences in unaffected cities canceled, global supply chain disruption...)... ‘drastic’ doesn’t honestly seem like such an unreasonable word.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I don’t know I’m still not sold Disney is going to make these drastic cuts already. This is a very different situation than 9/11. I was working for Disney during that time period. The parks were a ghost town for years out of pure fear of flying. This is a very different situation today outside of Asia. And yes it sounds like an incredible amount of money they are losing right now but the Walt Disney company has lost just as much money on movie bombs in the past. One example alone was John Carter which had a 200 million dollar write off. And this back In 2012 when the company was significantly smaller than it is today. Disney can manage this lose for now much better than in the past. It has grown tremendously since 9/11 which was a much much worse situation. The company today is 12.5 times larger than in 2001. Will there be cuts? Absolutely small cuts like entertainment and watching hours. Stoping the Avengers E Ticket? I’m not convinced yet. But we shall see.
In 2001, Disney was run by someone who wanted to be in the theme park business and understood why people visited theme parks.

Nubs70

Today, yes. Outside of Asia there has yet to be a singular news story related to this to galvanize public awareness and perception. Instead, it’s been a slow and steady trickle of bad news... which for better or worse has allowed it to largely play out ‘beneath the fold’ of western media. I think anyone involved in the travel / leisure industry respects just how quickly that can turn.

One thing that is the same is the level of uncertainty about the safety of future travel. On 9/12, a lot of business decisions were made. I’m seeing a lot of those same sort of decisions being made now, only played out in stages and over weeks and by region and sector instead of everywhere all at once. No one seems to know what this will look like in a month, let alone how it will affect summer travel.

When you look at that uncertainty, coupled with the unprecedented events thus far (a whole region of travel shuttered, the cruise and airline industry globally on edge, major conferences in unaffected cities canceled, global supply chain disruption...)... ‘drastic’ doesn’t honestly seem like such an unreasonable word.
My company 's latest travel restrictions and supply chain update is a bit more pessimistic than last week.

Travel to China is outright banned, a change from "needs director approval". Manufacturing output continues unchanged "subject to employee availability" . A change from a flat "no change in manufacturing output"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom