TRIP 6/2020

Zayegrrl

In the Parks
No
I'm new to this website/forum so maybe you guys could give me some tips.

My fiancee and I are going down to Florida in June this year. It's his first time going to Florida, and my (probably) millionth time. I always love going to Disney when I go down there. He has no interest in Disney. Before I showed him videos of what it was actually like, he was convinced it was just "princess-y". Now I've convinced him to go to Disney, but he only wants to go for a day. I know from experience how hard it is to choose a park to go to, especially for only a day. I'm thinking we should get the Day Park-hopper pass, but that would be a ton to fit into one day. He doesn't like rides like rollercoasters or anything that would make him dizzy/get vertigo. We also don't want to spend our entire week at Disney, as him having this be his first time in Florida, wants to experience it all.

Any ideas on what we could do, how we could fit the most out of a short period of time?

Update:
I talked with my mom who's the one we'll be staying with when we're down there. She actually offered to pay for us to go at least 3 days on our vacation! This makes deciding wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier. Especially because my mom is the type that loves park-hoppers so we can travel freely through the 4 parks. And trust me, 3 days for 4 parks is more than enough for me, and i've been there a million times. :)

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
When you're going with someone that seems so difficult its really hard to give advice.
Explain that you could go for a week and not get it all in and that its not like your local amusement park.
Then tell him HE needs to research to see which park he thinks is good for him for one day.
No reason to get a park hopper unless you're literally gonna do 1-2 things in each park.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bryanfze55

Well, you need a new fiancé that is actually fun for starters

I kid.

But I would just pick YOUR favorite park and go to that one for the day. Park hopping is too time consuming. And you have fun and just make him suffer through that one day. You deserve to have fun, too. If you insist on giving him something to do, a non-Disney fanatic may prefer Animal Kingdom or Epcot, particularly the World Showcase. No princess vibes, plus just exploring around those parks is an experience in and of itself.

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

If you have the ability I would try to do two days with an overnight stay at a Disney resort. I would pick the one park you want to go to then get your fiance's input on what park they may want to go to. You can get two parks in along with experiencing some of what the resorts have to offer. That also leaves you time for other "Florida" things to do.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
If you have the ability I would try to do two days with an overnight stay at a Disney resort. I would pick the one park you want to go to then get your fiance's input on what park they may want to go to. You can get two parks in along with experiencing some of what the resorts have to offer. That also leaves you time for other "Florida" things to do.

This sounds like great advice, I was thinking of typing something similar. I would say that if you do only one day, buying a park hopper would be a poor decision. A lot of your time would be wasted in transportation and if your fiancee isn't in't Disney anyway all the moving around would be a big pain.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Because hes not a Disney fan and sounds like hes going into this trip with little enthusiasm, I might not want to hit him with a lot of park hopping or try convincing him to like WDW. Id maybe work my way around EP which might look more appealing to him because its less you might say ride friendly or princessy as hes thinking of Disney. Enjoy some nice dining option. Try out DS in the evening for some night time adult entertainment. A slow and easy immersion into Disney might work better for him to let Disney grow on him.

Upvote 0

Zayegrrl

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

Yeah I was thinking if all else fails we could do 2 days instead of one. It's not that much more expensive. I know he'll definitely like Epcot. He's into the cultures of other countries, namely Norway and Japan (possibly Italy). Other than that I would want to go to either Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios. I mostly wanna go to see Fantasmic, but ride-wise, I feel the rides at Magic Kingdom are some of the easiest to go on even if the park seems more "princess-y" (Hello! Haunted Mansion, anything Tomorrowland, Pirates ride!) We likely wouldn't stay in a resort. My mother lives down there and to save money we're gonna stay with her for the week.

Upvote 0

Zayegrrl

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Because hes not a Disney fan and sounds like hes going into this trip with little enthusiasm, I might not want to hit him with a lot of park hopping or try convincing him to like WDW. Id maybe work my way around EP which might look more appealing to him because its less you might say ride friendly or princessy as hes thinking of Disney. Enjoy some nice dining option. Try out DS in the evening for some night time adult entertainment. A slow and easy immersion into Disney might work better for him to let Disney grow on him.

The crazy thing is is that he really wants to go to Universal. I told him the rides there are much more thriller-esque and besides maybe 1-2 themed rides, it would kind of be a waste for him to go there. I personally haven't been there since I was really little and I know a lot has changed. We both aren't into Harry Potter so we likely wouldn't spend a ton of time there. We'll definitely be going to DS. I showed him a walkthrough tour someone posted on Youtube and he loves all the shops and restaurants they have. Plus out of all the Disney themed things around Florida thats the basic version of them all. Not what it used to be back when it was ~Downtown Disney.

Upvote 0

Zayegrrl

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
When you're going with someone that seems so difficult its really hard to give advice.
Explain that you could go for a week and not get it all in and that its not like your local amusement park.
Then tell him HE needs to research to see which park he thinks is good for him for one day.
No reason to get a park hopper unless you're literally gonna do 1-2 things in each park.

I wouldn't exactly say he's difficult, moreso it is his first-ever trip to Florida and wants to experience the most of it within the week we have. It's not like this is a trip we can take every couple of months. We've been saving for about a year and a half to go so we want to do a lot of things. On top of all of that, it will be our first time seeing my Mom who moved down to Florida last year. It's gonna be quite some planning, but everything will work out. I think no matter what we have decided to go to Epcot. Just trying to see if we'll go to any other parks.

Upvote 0

Zayegrrl

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Well, you need a new fiancé that is actually fun for starters

I kid.

But I would just pick YOUR favorite park and go to that one for the day. Park hopping is too time consuming. And you have fun and just make him suffer through that one day. You deserve to have fun, too. If you insist on giving him something to do, a non-Disney fanatic may prefer Animal Kingdom or Epcot, particularly the World Showcase. No princess vibes, plus just exploring around those parks is an experience in and of itself.

Lol, I can say im equally as not-fun. He wants to go to some beaches in Florida and I hate swimming. Haha.

The one issue about picking MY favorite park is that, I love all of them. I could possibly have a ranking system with Hollywood Studios being #1 and Animal Kingdom being #4, but that's only for the fact that I love Rockin' Rollercoaster and Fantasmic. One of which he wouldn't ride in a million years. I think we decided on Epcot. I've rallied everyone we work with to reason with him why Epcot is the best park for him. Haha. Now just to see if we'll make any stops to any other parks while we're there.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I wouldn't exactly say he's difficult, moreso it is his first-ever trip to Florida and wants to experience the most of it within the week we have. It's not like this is a trip we can take every couple of months. We've been saving for about a year and a half to go so we want to do a lot of things. On top of all of that, it will be our first time seeing my Mom who moved down to Florida last year. It's gonna be quite some planning, but everything will work out. I think no matter what we have decided to go to Epcot. Just trying to see if we'll go to any other parks.
Your first post definitely made him seem difficult.
You said he didn't want to go and you had to convince him to go and he's only willing to do one day.
I mean if you've already figured out that he would like EPCOT out of all of them then I'd just stick to that.
If you already have the rest of the time planned out and you're spending time with your mom and not gonna have much time then I wouldn't push for more Disney parks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Along the lines of what @Tuvalu said, Epcot is pretty ugly at present. (I haven't been, but I've been looking at photos on blogs obsessively, because that is what I do.) ;) Also, HS is a logistical headache due to the "opposite day"-style change in crowd movements there, with the largest crowds and lines of the day hitting right at rope drop and lines continuing to be crazy-long through late afternoon, thanks to the Rise of the Resistance boarding group lottery and the very small number of attractions operating there in the first place.

If I were you, I'd do two days -- one at MK, where there's still a day's-worth of great things to enjoy that aren't rollercoasters or spinners (Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Tom Sawyer Island, etc.), and one at AK (which will offer some of that cultural immersion, plus some great dining options and a couple of Disney's best-ever-in-my-opinion live shows, Finding Nemo and Festival of the Lion King.) If you want to get to World Showcase at some point, I'd hop to it later in the day, and plan to have dinner and a relaxing evening there.

Upvote 0

Zayegrrl

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Along the lines of what @Tuvalu said, Epcot is pretty ugly at present. (I haven't been, but I've been looking at photos on blogs obsessively, because that is what I do.) ;) Also, HS is a logistical headache due to the "opposite day"-style change in crowd movements there, with the largest crowds and lines of the day hitting right at rope drop and lines continuing to be crazy-long through late afternoon, thanks to the Rise of the Resistance boarding group lottery and the very small number of attractions operating there in the first place.

If I were you, I'd do two days -- one at MK, where there's still a day's-worth of great things to enjoy that aren't rollercoasters or spinners (Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Tom Sawyer Island, etc.), and one at AK (which will offer some of that cultural immersion, plus some great dining options and a couple of Disney's best-ever-in-my-opinion live shows, Finding Nemo and Festival of the Lion King.) If you want to get to World Showcase at some point, I'd hop to it later in the day, and plan to have dinner and a relaxing evening there.

Oh snap, that's a good point. I was half-hoping by the time we get down there a lot of the construction would be out of our way since some are estimated to be done like March-May. I can't remember which park it was last time we went down there, but they closed like half the parking lot and had these boarded up walls to create a path to walk to the front of the park. I definitely want to avoid something like that. I'll have to keep a watch the next few months before I book anything to see how it will be crowd-wise and construction-wise.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Oh snap, that's a good point. I was half-hoping by the time we get down there a lot of the construction would be out of our way since some are estimated to be done like March-May. I can't remember which park it was last time we went down there, but they closed like half the parking lot and had these boarded up walls to create a path to walk to the front of the park. I definitely want to avoid something like that. I'll have to keep a watch the next few months before I book anything to see how it will be crowd-wise and construction-wise.

The WDW_News_Today website often has exhaustive coverage of all ongoing construction, from big projects to tiny areas of pavement -- that would be a good place to go when your trip gets close, to see what's up in each park.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I'm not sure I can add much since it sounds like you've already landed on Epcot, but I will say as a fellow non-Disney person that going to MK really made a difference for me on my first trip. It's the iconic park. Like.... seeing the castle,.... there's something about that that feels like you're at DISNEY and not just... you know... at Disney.

I feel like for me this would be a no-brainer if I only had one day with someone who had never been to Disney. But I can understand the draw of Epcot as well.

Upvote 0

mlee10

If i had to pick 2 parks I would go with AK and MK. Just because of the construction at Epcot. We LOVE AK and there is so much there to experience. Especially if he is in to the cultural stuff. To each their own but I suggest letting him do some research and each of you pick a park!

Upvote 0

seggerman

I had the same problem, only we were there for 4 days in December, a supposedly quiet time. 1 - go on Monday Tuesday and/or Wednesday 2- research rides 3 - go to Epcot World Showcase late morning 4 - go on less popular attractions People Mover at MK, Mission Space Green at Epcot
my boyfriend also gets vertigo - he refused to go on Soarin (his loss) - some of the lines themselves are really cool (MF, Space Mountain) so your boyfriend can wait while you do the ride in the area for holding a child
finally, don't wear red - if you are there for Gay Days - will confuse things

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom