News Disney Riviera Resort announced

TrainsOfDisney

My gosh.
Who. Cares.
It looks perfectly fine, and serves its purpose perfectly.

Why so much detest for a resort??? Don’t like it? Go elsewhere. It’s really that simple.

You must be new here, this is a discussion site for Disney fans to discuss Disney. That’s why the site exists. If you don’t like people discussing Disney, go elsewhere. It’s really that simple ;)

lazyboy97o

Its European influenced
That is a rather generic description that does not match Disney's descriptions, the resort's name or the disparate descriptions of others. Themed entertainment design is about communicating an idea and this resort is clearly not communicating a consistent message, much less one related to its name or published story.

My gosh.
Who. Cares.

Why so much detest for a resort??? Don’t like it? Go elsewhere. It’s really that simple.
Because design matters, especially in a themed environment. It is why the most expensive group of themed entertainment designers were involved in this project.

Little Green Men

That is a rather generic description that does not match Disney's descriptions, the resort's name or the disparate descriptions of others. Themed entertainment design is about communicating an idea and this resort is clearly not communicating a consistent message, much less one related to its name or published story.

Because design matters, especially in a themed environment. It is why the most expensive group of themed entertainment designers were involved in this project.
France and Italy= Europe. I take it you didn't enjoy your stay there?

UNCgolf

France and Italy= Europe. I take it you didn't enjoy your stay there?

It doesn't look anything like France or Italy, though (even ignoring the fact that different parts of those countries have very different cultures/styles). It just looks like a generic hotel.

Being a generic hotel isn't necessarily a problem. Nothing wrong with wanting to stay somewhere like that. But Disney shouldn't try to promote it as anything more.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I've stayed in hotels at Italy and thought this one was nicer.

It's not about how nice it is, though. The Four Seasons resort is much nicer than any of the Disney hotels but that's not really relevant. If it's supposed to be themed to the Riviera, it should look and feel like it, or at least have significant nods in that direction. Just compare it to other Disney hotels like Port Orleans Riverside, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, the Polynesian, etc. to see hotels that actually succeed in theming.

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Posting this, just so that we can see how Disney describes Riviera.
20200119_193511.jpg

20200119_193541.jpg

I think they use words like "inspired by" and " influences" to give themselves some liniency and/or artistic licence in regards to design and architecture.

LSLS

My gosh.
Who. Cares.

You summed it up. Disney used to strive to be the elite. They used to put insane details into every bit of theming. Now they go for "It's perfectly fine."

It's definitely not for me. I'm far from some expert, but just checking Google Earth, I'm not really seeing any hotel in the Riviera areas of France or Italy that look like this (very anecdotal). Anyone have some examples of where this style is in a Riviera?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Absolutely none of the DVC properties are “themed” Disney.

That isn’t the point.
At all.

We are not talking about rooms that scream “DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY”... there are subtle Disney hints interlaced into the entire motif. The product is fairly standardized at this point, mainly to ensure the experience is roughly equivalent regardless of which DVC resort you visit.

The rooms have full kitchens, are tastefully appointed, yet have a slightly different feel from a standard resort room. Even basics such as making the bed and cleaning up are different compared to a resort room.

I have stayed in 6 of the various DVC resorts so far, the only one which felt vastly different from the others was Old Key West, and that is because it was the very first one and Disney was taking a timeshare concept and plussing it towards a resort.

Since then, most DVC properties seem to take a resort concept and plus them towards a timeshare.

Similar features, unique tones and appointments to the rooms, a standard set of features across all properties, and frankly an enjoyable experience.

Absolutely none of them carry an IP theme per se, though there are hints in common spaces.

The most uniquely themed DVC resort is AKV, and that’s purely because of the animals.

Beyond that, it’s the same product from resort to resort.

You either love it or you hate it.
It really is that simple.

(For the record, as if it was not obvious, we love it.)

Good lord. This is so wrong. Without doing a blow by blow, let me ask you a question. You think homogenization of DVC is a good thing? Something DVC and "owners" strive for?

awesome pool area

SHEESH. Awesome pool area?

mlayton144

You summed it up. Disney used to strive to be the elite. They used to put insane details into every bit of theming. Now they go for "It's perfectly fine."

It's definitely not for me. I'm far from some expert, but just checking Google Earth, I'm not really seeing any hotel in the Riviera areas of France or Italy that look like this (very anecdotal). Anyone have some examples of where this style is in a Riviera?

just look for a grey concrete box shape , they are found around the world

Creathir

Good lord. This is so wrong. Without doing a blow by blow, let me ask you a question. You think homogenization of DVC is a good thing? Something DVC and "owners" strive for?

SHEESH. Awesome pool area?
I certainly think DVC owners expect a consistent experience regardless of the resort.

Creathir

What exactly does that mean?
Look at the villas which exist. Almost all have similar amenities, similar appointments within.

All are certainly a much higher quality appointment wise than the value and moderate resorts, none are tacky and obnoxious in decor, and all exude a particular feel which is common across them all.

It’s hard to describe and quantify in words, but I assure you it is there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom