Bad Idea?

graphite1326

We have been approached by another couple to make a trip to WDW 4 weeks away. Is this a bad idea? I was thinking of Fast Pass availability and dinner reservations. Not to mention if there would be rooms available. What do you think?

dreamfinder

As @Master Yoda said, going in with a different set of expectations will make a huge difference. If you reach outside your normal comfort level, or maybe venture outside the parks, you should still be able to get dining reservations. And while you may not be able to get FP+ for the headliners, you should still be able to get something. Then just plan your trip accordingly. Make take the time to do something different altogether? Perhaps try a tour, or maybe spend time in Epcot exploring the museums/exhibitions instead of focusing on rides. Stuff like that.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Its not a bad idea as long as you and this other couple doesn't have insane expectations.
4 weeks from now is the week leading into Valentines Day and then Presidents Day.
Meaning it will be busy and you may have to compromise on resorts/room categories/potentially do a split stay depending on if certain resorts are not available etc.
You have to go into it being flexible.
But I've planned a couple of trips within 30 days out and have had a great time.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Good idea IF you have vacationed with this couple before and had good experiences and you are sure your style of doing Disney matches. Having that friendship at home, doing things together at home, dining at restaurants at home, can be very different when your trip is at WDW and things dont gell. We had a trip that almost ruined a friendship because the other couple wasnt the same on vacation as they were at home. When your styles of hitting the parks and expectations of what you enjoy differ it can create conflict.
As far as FP+... you may have to just accept that your choices may be limited and youll have to endure waits in lines. I have gotten some great last minute FP's but also had been stuck with ones I didnt want.
Restaurants also can be hit or miss depending on the times you are trying to book and availability of tables. Again you may just have to accept seating at a second or third choice spot.
Last minute trips can be just as successful as ones youve long ranged planned. Its Disney after all and if I had a chance to go I'd jump on it and make the best of what I could do.

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Yeah I was thinking that too.
Well if they are providing the room free or at a good rate I would go for it if you have extra money and time to do it. Park tix and dining can still cost a lot, and if you dont go to Disney a lot, you aren't going to get to do as much, and might resent not seeing and doing all you want. But, if you have gone a lot, and it's in the budget go for it! If it is DVC points I hope they are giving you a good room deal, since it's last minute .

Upvote 0

graphite1326

Original Poster
Good idea IF you have vacationed with this couple before and had good experiences and you are sure your style of doing Disney matches. Having that friendship at home, doing things together at home, dining at restaurants at home, can be very different when your trip is at WDW and things dont gell. We had a trip that almost ruined a friendship because the other couple wasnt the same on vacation as they were at home. When your styles of hitting the parks and expectations of what you enjoy differ it can create conflict.
As far as FP+... you may have to just accept that your choices may be limited and youll have to endure waits in lines. I have gotten some great last minute FP's but also had been stuck with ones I didnt want.
Restaurants also can be hit or miss depending on the times you are trying to book and availability of tables. Again you may just have to accept seating at a second or third choice spot.
Last minute trips can be just as successful as ones youve long ranged planned. Its Disney after all and if I had a chance to go I'd jump on it and make the best of what I could do.
We have vacationed with them before but not Disney. We like to ride everything and they already said they don't. We told them that though.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
We have vacationed with them before but not Disney. We like to ride everything and they already said they don't. We told them that though.

Then as long as they know you're not going to be just hanging out with them all day every day I'd say its still fine.
But if your gut is telling you that you rather just go without them then I'd decline.
There really is nothing worse than going and feeling obligated to do something in a different way or guilty if you do it your way.

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Look at it this way -- even tho' you may not get to ride everything, you'll still be at WDW and having a great time overall.

Upvote 0

graphite1326

Original Poster
Then as long as they know you're not going to be just hanging out with them all day every day I'd say its still fine.
But if your gut is telling you that you rather just go without them then I'd decline.
There really is nothing worse than going and feeling obligated to do something in a different way or guilty if you do it your way.
This is how I feel exactly (all of the above). They are insisting we go together. I explained to them I ride everything and my counterpart says he doesn't like to ride anything that is thrilling at all. Not sure how I feel about all this and hate to lose friends.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
This is how I feel exactly (all of the above). They are insisting we go together. I explained to them I ride everything and my counterpart says he doesn't like to ride anything that is thrilling at all. Not sure how I feel about all this and hate to lose friends.
I would just say you cannot swing it right now then.
I have been with people that do not like my theme park warrior style and I do not like thief meh we will walk up to the bus stop at RD and I feel like we really have to compromise.
I will go with them every once in a while but cannot imagine going with them every time lol.

Upvote 0

graphite1326

Original Poster
I would just say you cannot swing it right now then.
I have been with people that do not like my theme park warrior style and I do not like thief meh we will walk up to the bus stop at RD and I feel like we really have to compromise.
I will go with them every once in a while but cannot imagine going with them every time lol.
Maybe we should go with you. We are theme park warriors ourselves.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I will not travel with others. Everyone is so different in what they like that someone always feels like they are the one "sacrificing" during the trip. I don't even travel with my sister and she is the closest to me(next to my hubby and kids). Only you know if you will be comfortable with it.

Upvote 0

eliza61nyc

Do you have to spend every minute together,. I've gone with other couples and we usual start the day off together, part and then get together for dinner.
I don't do the thrill to rides either but would never insist on all day togetherness especially if someone told me that they want to ride everything.
Dinner will be no problem as long as you're flexible. Lol, we rarely make ADRs and have never not eaten a TS meal.
Some tips:. Adjust your meal times, you'd be surprised just how easy it is to get seated by waiting an hour. Go to a resort restaurant. Turf grill at SS is great and I've walked in many times, so is Olivia's at OKW, lastly when you wake up in the morning, call Disney dining, see what's available.

I just went online for the 19th of February for dinner for 4. 146 restaurants with availability

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom