Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Bob Harlem

Original Poster
Here's a new...Very Japanese... ad for the new land.

SuperNintendoWorld.jpg

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

The land hasn't even opened yet and I already have to start saving for 6 wristbands, a red Mario hat, and a white Mario hat!

Is February an App Launch in NYC or just a another promo event?

I can't believe I'm going to be able to punch a coin block and get a coin. Looking forward to this land more than before.

Tom Morrow

I'm still not sure if I'm sold on the design of the Mushroom Kingdom. Yes, it's always been portrayed as blocky in 2D side scrolling Mario games, but that was originally because of graphical limitations and game design/function, and today for tradition. There are plenty of 3D Mario games where the world is not quite so blocky. I also think the heavily saturated primary color palate has the potential to look plastic-y and tacky in real life. I think I would prefer a bit more of a real world interpretation rather than a literal translation of the old school games. That Donkey Kong model looks fine, however.

The Pho

I'm still not sure if I'm sold on the design of the Mushroom Kingdom. Yes, it's always been portrayed as blocky in 2D side scrolling Mario games, but that was originally because of graphical limitations and game design/function, and today for tradition. There are plenty of 3D Mario games where the world is not quite so blocky. I also think the heavily saturated primary color palate has the potential to look plastic-y and tacky in real life. I think I would prefer a bit more of a real world interpretation rather than a literal translation of the old school games. That Donkey Kong model looks fine, however.
Mario seems harder to translate for those reasons. Donkey Kong looks great because it’s more real. Mario has a purposefully artificial look, almost harder to judge without seeing the full vision of it. I think it’ll work better than the model but it’ll be the lesser half of the land.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

You're not going to like Minecraft World, then!!

Stripes

Not really. A tracked ride utilizing augmented reality.
I don't think AR glasses are ready yet. I don't exactly follow the development super closely but to my knowledge there isn't a product on the market that can achieve the kind of 180 degree augmented reality Universal would need to make it an immersive experience. The AR glasses I'm aware of project a rather limited box of augmented content that is useful for things like phone notifications, but not for an immersive experience akin to VR.

The best there is right now is Hololens 2, and I just don't see Universal going for it.
g8jsgRHCEdnjVfBghBsMrH-970-80.jpeg

RE3oya0

Basically, the projection takes up on a small portion of your field of view meaning that the application of the content is very limited and it isn't ready for immersive experiences yet. Further the devices are all very clunky as well as expensive. $3,500 a piece and due to their electronics, they can't be mass-cleaned like 3d glasses.

Perhaps this is a planned future addition?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I don't think AR glasses are ready yet. I don't exactly follow the development super closely but to my knowledge there isn't a product on the market that can achieve the kind of 180 degree augmented reality Universal would need to make it an immersive experience. The AR glasses I'm aware of project a rather limited box of augmented content that is useful for things like phone notifications, but not for an immersive experience akin to VR.

The best there is right now is Hololens 2, and I just don't see Universal going for it.
g8jsgRHCEdnjVfBghBsMrH-970-80.jpeg

RE3oya0

Basically, the projection takes up on a small portion of your field of view meaning that the application of the content is very limited and it isn't ready for immersive experiences yet. Further the devices are all very clunky as well as expensive. $3,500 a piece and due to their electronics, they can't be mass-cleaned like 3d glasses.

Perhaps this is a planned future addition?
With a ride vehicle you don’t have to do stand alone units that people wear directly on their face.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom