If we assume Space 220 will be open but "walk-up only" during our visit, what should we expect?

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
I've been "watching" Space 220 watch threads on other forums, and it appears that CMs are starting to indicate to inquiring guests that the restaurant will be "walk-up only" for the first few weeks, as with prior restaurant openings in the parks (Takumi-Tei being the latest, I believe). I assume, then, that if Space 220 is open when my family visits the week of 2/18, it won't be accepting ADRs.

I confess that we've never visited before when a restaurant was newly-opened. Can anyone who's experienced a "new restaurant, walk-up only" situation in recent years share their recollections of how it worked? Does "walk-up only" mean you must physically wait in line for the next available table with no ability to make a reservation, or does it just mean that you must "walk up" to the restaurant, first-come, first-served, to try and make a reservation for that day? (And if the latter, can this be done during morning EMH, or do you need to wait until official park open before they'll let you make a reservation?)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If there are no reservations, it's walk up and wait. Technically, not "in line", you'll likely be given a pager and/or told to remain in a specific area nearby [when you check-in, the CM usually makes a note in the system of what you're wearing or something distinguishing so when they're looking for your party they have something to go on]. I believe when they do open ADRs, they open for a date "in the future", so it's unlikely that you'd walk up and get a same-day reservation.

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
If there are no reservations, it's walk up and wait. Technically, not "in line", you'll likely be given a pager and/or told to remain in a specific area nearby [when you check-in, the CM usually makes a note in the system of what you're wearing or something distinguishing so when they're looking for your party they have something to go on]. I believe when they do open ADRs, they open for a date "in the future", so it's unlikely that you'd walk up and get a same-day reservation.

Yikes! So if we wanted dinner (not breakfast or lunch), does that mean we'd have to show up in the morning to get a pager, and then stand around for hours until dinner service began? (Ain't nobody got time for that!) Or could we get a pager or otherwise join a list, go elsewhere and come back just before dinner service began (meaning it would function similarly to an ADR, only without a set time)? Or would there be a designated time each day they'd start taking names/distributing pagers for each meal (e.g., rope drop for breakfast, 11am for lunch, 4pm for dinner)?

I realize nobody is clairvoyant so I don't expect anyone to know exactly what will happen -- I'm mainly just hoping for some educated guesswork based on how Disney has handled recent openings.

Last edited:

MissingDisney

It's the same as going to a local eatery at home. Check in at podium, they take your name, hand you a pager or take your cell phone number or whatever, and when your table is available, buzz you and you get seated. You don't get to pick a time or leave the immediate area, really. If you want dinner, you'd need to go around dinner time and "get in line", so to speak.

Hank Hill

Skipper Canteen did same day reservations for a while after they opened. I could see this going the same way. Probably unannounced walk ups for a short while, then when demand gets too high, same day for a while. But we really don't know until it is official.

Disneyhead'71

The modern technique for new restaurants (outside of WDW) is you walk up to the podium close to when you want to eat and give them a cell phone number. They will tell you approximately how long the wait is. Then you get a text when your table is ready. No pagers.

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
Skipper Canteen did same day reservations for a while after they opened. I could see this going the same way. Probably unannounced walk ups for a short while, then when demand gets too high, same day for a while. But we really don't know until it is official.

Thank you!

FWIW, I looked it up, and the Disney Blog announced the official opening date for Skipper Canteen (and shared menu details for the first time) on December 14, 2015, exactly TWO DAYS before the restaurant opened. After about 8 weeks of walk-up only, it began accepting same-day reservations on February 12, 2016 (which, interestingly enough, could be made in person, via phone, or on a dedicated website). Typical 180-day ADRs weren't offered until June 2016.

For Takumi-Tei, although a "summer" opening projection and some menu descriptions had been teased for months, the Disney Blog didn't announce the official opening and offer more detailed menu information until July 5, 2019 -- the very day the restaurant opened! It was operated as walk-up only for about 2 weeks before they started taking reservations.

My takeaway is that even if Space 220 does things a little differently in terms of its reservation timeline, it's probable that if it has opened during our President's Day week visit, it will be walk-up only. Regardless, there's no point in my stressing about the lack of information or reading anything into the radio silence at this point, since whatever happens, we probably won't be told about it until the last minute! ;)

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I may be wrong, but I don’t think what happened with Skipper Canteen, Takumi-Tei or any other restaurant is going to be a model for how Disney handles Space 220. I can imagine absolute chaos if they start out with walk-ups, especially for dinner. The anticipation and hype around this restaurant seems more in line with a new attraction than a restaurant. I guess we’ll just have to wait to find out.

ninjaprincesst

I've been "watching" Space 220 watch threads on other forums, and it appears that CMs are starting to indicate to inquiring guests that the restaurant will be "walk-up only" for the first few weeks, as with prior restaurant openings in the parks (Takumi-Tei being the latest, I believe). I assume, then, that if Space 220 is open when my family visits the week of 2/18, it won't be accepting ADRs.

I confess that we've never visited before when a restaurant was newly-opened. Can anyone who's experienced a "new restaurant, walk-up only" situation in recent years share their recollections of how it worked? Does "walk-up only" mean you must physically wait in line for the next available table with no ability to make a reservation, or does it just mean that you must "walk up" to the restaurant, first-come, first-served, to try and make a reservation for that day? (And if the latter, can this be done during morning EMH, or do you need to wait until official park open before they'll let you make a reservation?)
I wold not be too worried it. When we went in December construction is still going on at the Space220 and I seriously doubt they will make a Feb opening at all.

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
I wold not be too worried it. When we went in December construction is still going on at the Space220 and I seriously doubt they will make a Feb opening at all.

Disney, taking forever to build something and blowing past its announced opening dates repeatedly? Ah well, at least we know we count on them to be consistent. ;)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Disney, taking forever to build something and blowing past its announced opening dates repeatedly? Ah well, at least we know we count on them to be consistent. ;)
The biggest factor that will make Space 220 unlike the majority of recent in park location openings is that it is being operated by a third party. Patina is calling the shots, not Disney.

Chi84

Premium Member
The biggest factor that will make Space 220 unlike the majority of recent in park location openings is that it is being operated by a third party. Patina is calling the shots, not Disney.
How do you know who's calling the shots? I'm not being disingenuous, but do you know something about the agreement between Disney and the Patina group that leads you to believe that what Patina wants regarding the opening of this restaurant would override a decision by Disney? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems this particular restaurant - unlike the others mentioned in the thread - is being treated more like an attraction (with the theming, the elevators and such) than a simple restaurant. I can see Disney being far more involved in directing the opening of Space 220 than a place like La Hacienda, which is just a standard Mexican restaurant. I know there's no way to know for sure, but was just wondering if you had some specific knowledge that supports your conclusion.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
How do you know who's calling the shots? I'm not being disingenuous, but do you know something about the agreement between Disney and the Patina group that leads you to believe that what Patina wants regarding the opening of this restaurant would override a decision by Disney? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems this particular restaurant - unlike the others mentioned in the thread - is being treated more like an attraction (with the theming, the elevators and such) than a simple restaurant. I can see Disney being far more involved in directing the opening of Space 220 than a place like La Hacienda, which is just a standard Mexican restaurant. I know there's no way to know for sure, but was just wondering if you had some specific knowledge that supports your conclusion.
Yep I do have some information that tells me Patina is running the ship - very much like what is happening at Disney Springs. Not saying that Disney is not involved, but it is very much a Patina operation.

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
I would guess with the executive chef having felt, that is a bit in the air. Then they have to come up with all those space themed names for regular food.

True! Plus, the change in chef appeared to have coincided with a totally new menu concept, shifting from the "internationally-inspired" cuisine touted in the original announcements, to the "modern American" description the website has just recently substituted. (My once-happy dreams of Asian-inspired seafood and creative curries have now been replaced by have visions of deconstructed McDonald's hamburger sliders made from blackened cauliflower patties, American cheddar foam, cruelty-free tomato gastrique, and sustainable pickle slices, served in 8-oz. portions costing $49 and brought to the table by a Millennial army of servers sporting identical man buns and exquisitely-styled facial hair. But I digress...)

If my binge-watching of cooking reality shows has taught me anything, it's that conceiving, testing and implementing an entire restaurant menu from scratch is typically (and ideally) a process that takes months all by itself. But I guess we'll see. :)

Last edited:

dreamfinder

Until they know how long service will take, they really don't want to be doing ADRs. Just like how they are still doing BGs for RotR while they finish working out the kinks. If they take ADRs assuming a table will turn in 75 mins, but they end up taking 95, thats a bunch of angry people who won't get to eat. Or if they turn in 60 mins, then they end up not having any many covers as they could have. While opening a restaurant is a much more known entity than opening a ride, things still happen, quirks still need to be resolved, so they like to get things nailed down before they start to make commitments.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom