News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

disneygeek90

I don't want to get up at 6 AM either. I also don't want to stand in a massive group of people for 30-45 minutes just waiting to get inside the park to have the chance to maybe ride it. That sounds terrible and not worth it regardless of how great the ride is.
I mean... I got in line at 6:11 and 7 mins later the park opened. Was in the park 10 minutes after that. Then sat on a bench in a quiet area of sunset Blvd until 7, it was actually quite pleasant.

relic827

Would an Uber have to sit in the line with all the cars that are parking? Or are they allowed to come into the lot and go up to the gate via the bus entrance?

Dad 2 M & M

That’s an exaggeration. 45 mins for all groups to be filled. I’ve been on it 5 times
We have as multiple times as well.... I'd recommend being IN the Park at or before 7:45

That 2-3 mins thing is out there, and if it REALLY happened, it was during the Holiday crunch......

To be safe, be there by 7:30.......

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Does this already exist for fastpass/dining reservations? Never heard of that before, why can't people just do it themselves?
It isn't necessarily the same. When I ropedropped FoP, I arrived 2 hours before official park opening to wait in line. I was about 10 people deep in line when I showed up. Over the next 90 minutes, I saw at least 4 groups of folks (between 2-7 each) show up and join the front of the various lines for their non-Disney tour guides who showed up early to save them a spot at the front of the lines. While I was annoyed, at the end of the day, it didn't affect me. But the folks that showed up an hour early got super-screwed by the line-cutters.

So while I am annoyed that they force whole groups to be tapped-in to join a boarding group, I think it is the only way to avoid a situation like I faced at FoP. Otherwise, people would rent themselves out on Favor or as a tour guide to get in line, tap in, get a boarding group for a large group of people who are happily sleeping away in their beds.

ToTBellHop

I don't want to get up at 6 AM either. I also don't want to stand in a massive group of people for 30-45 minutes just waiting to get inside the park to have the chance to maybe ride it. That sounds terrible and not worth it regardless of how great the ride is.
Sure you want to go to Disney World?

On Christmas Eve, we woke at 6:15 (easily) at Wilderness Lodge, strolled into DHS at 7:15, got a backup BG, and rode at about 6 pm. It wasn’t stressful in the least.

UNCgolf

Obviously you do what you’re feeling, but there’s not much else in WDW that you could do at 6-7am that would be taken away by trying to queue for ROTR one morning.

If you don’t care about riding and don’t want to put the effort in, just say that.

I could be sleeping. And those are two different things -- I do care about riding but I don't want to put in the required effort because it seems foolish. Regardless, why are people so defensive? You're asking me why I didn't say exactly what I did say. Is it a personal affront to you that I think that way?

ToTBellHop

I could be sleeping. And those are two different things -- I do care about riding but I don't want to put in the required effort because it seems foolish. Regardless, why are people so defensive? You're asking me why I didn't say exactly what I did say. Is it a personal affront to you that I think that way?
I think it’s just shocking that a Disney fan would be so blasé about a ride so many of us (who have been quite critical of recent projects) say is outstanding. But you should, of course, do what you must to enjoy your vacation.

ToTBellHop

I'm genuinely confused by your response. What are you trying to say?

There's definitely no requirement to wait outside the parks before they open to have a great time. I've been 5 or 6 times and never once done that.
WDW is typically extremely crowded. But perhaps the rides aren’t your priority. In my experience after 40 or so vacations, rope-dropping is the only way to get on everything without waiting more than 30 minutes. Worked like a charm for us 12/21-28, and it was BUSY from the 26th on (in particular).

UNCgolf

I think it’s just shocking that a Disney fan would be so blasé about a ride so many of us (who have been quite critical of recent projects) say is outstanding.

It does look outstanding and I want to ride it, but I don't need to ride it under those circumstances. I know I'll be back and can see it eventually. I still haven't even been on Flight of Passage because I wasn't interested in the wait, although we have a FP for it this trip.

I guess I just don't care as much about the rides as some other people? I'm excited to see Galaxy's Edge, but I doubt I'll ride Smuggler's Run since I don't want to wait hours for it (doesn't seem worth it). And I'm hopeful I'll get a boarding pass and be able to ride RotR; I'm just not planning to make the extra effort required to try and guarantee a spot.

EDIT: Yeah, just saw your post -- there are certain rides/attractions I absolutely have to do (Spaceship Earth and Carousel of Progress are the main ones remaining), but there are others I don't care about riding at all. And a huge middle ground of rides I like but am okay with missing on any given trip.

disneygeek90

No, that’s fine. But there’s no need to question why others are waking up early to go ride. It’s because they want to and the hassle is absolutely worth it.

disneygeek90

It does look outstanding and I want to ride it, but I don't need to ride it under those circumstances. I know I'll be back and can see it eventually. I still haven't even been on Flight of Passage because I wasn't interested in the wait, although we have a FP for it this trip.

I guess I just don't care as much about the rides as some other people? I'm excited to see Galaxy's Edge, but I doubt I'll ride Smuggler's Run since I don't want to wait hours for it (doesn't seem worth it). And I'm hopeful I'll get a boarding pass and be able to ride RotR; I'm just not planning to make the extra effort required to try and guarantee a spot.

EDIT: Yeah, just saw your post -- there are certain rides/attractions I absolutely have to do (Spaceship Earth and Carousel of Progress are the main ones remaining), but there are others I don't care about riding at all. And a huge middle ground of rides I like but am okay with missing on any given trip.
SR absolutely should not be hours worth of wait soon. There’s also a single rider line which is usually quick if you’d like to hop on and experience it.

disneyREINA

We have as multiple times as well.... I'd recommend being IN the Park at or before 7:45

That 2-3 mins thing is out there, and if it REALLY happened, it was during the Holiday crunch......

To be safe, be there by 7:30.......

Got it !!
And can one person wait in the line with the others bands who will be riding or does every person have to be in the line? We have a 2 yr old and 4 month old so I wasn’t sure about the whole baby swap thing or if they’d have to wait for ever in the line for nothing

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
175 today according to this site...

1578280856922.png

Weather_Lady

Got it !!
And can one person wait in the line with the others bands who will be riding or does every person have to be in the line? We have a 2 yr old and 4 month old so I wasn’t sure about the whole baby swap thing or if they’d have to wait for ever in the line for nothing

Just to clarify, based on your initial post: you don't run to Rise of the Resistance to get in line. You must tap into the park before official opening time, log into MDE (the Disney app) precisely at official park opening and attempt to join a boarding group via the app. If and when you do that, you'll be notified by the app when your group is called, and will then have 2 hours to report and join the line. There is no standby line and no need to run anywhere at rope drop (except to other attractions besides RoTR, as desired). Once you join the line when your boarding group is called, the wait should be reasonable.

Of course, that's assuming that the morning routine will be the same when you visit as it currently operates, but it could change radically. Keep checking these forums for up-to-date information.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom