Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Steph15251

We’ve been talking about the land for hundreds of pages - it’s a disappointing, creative mess filled with unfathomable, terrible creative decisions. Or as one poster put it, “it’s boring and baffling”. That’s the point of the thread.
I think the land is just fine but needs more.But really the OP is right this topic is meant to talk about the land not the movies.

CinematicFusion

So now that everyone has gone to Galaxy's edge and seen it open with all the major attractions.
What is the land's identity and focus?
Does that identity and focus work for you?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So now that everyone has gone to Galaxy's edge and seen it open with all the major attractions.
Now, is this a serious question, or, do you believe the land has no focus and no matter what we say we believe the focus to be, you'll start arguing that we're wrong?

RobWDW1971

Glad you asked! Locking the land into a specific time and place is still the fundamental creative mistake.

Already the events of ROS make the land’s story and characters outdated before the land has even fully opened on both coasts.

The land should have had a broader focus to celebrate all Star Wars characters, locations, and time periods past, current, and future. But instead WDI chose to lock forever the ENTIRE land in a MIDPOINT of one trilogy story arc. Truly shortsighted and idiotic.

Oh, and Batuu and MFSR are still boring and filled with disastrous, unfathomable creative decisions.

Bright Suns! Til the Spires! Or other such meaningless nonsense!

SJN1279

Glad you asked! Locking the land into a specific time and place is still the fundamental creative mistake.

Already the events of ROS make the land’s story and characters outdated before the land has even fully opened on both coasts.

The land should have had a broader focus to celebrate all Star Wars characters, locations, and time periods past, current, and future. But instead WDI chose to lock forever the ENTIRE land in a MIDPOINT of one trilogy story arc. Truly shortsighted and idiotic.

Oh, and Batuu and MFSR are still boring and filled with disastrous, unfathomable creative decisions.

I loved Millenium Falcon and the entire land. I also believe that while the land is currently set in a specific period, in the future that may change.

I think Disney hit a home run with Galaxy Edge.

CinematicFusion

You make a valid point about the characters and Land after ROS. Won't go into detail for spoiler reasons.
Gives more ammunition for those who would have liked the land to be set in the OT.

Tom Morrow

Just returned from Batuu, and thought it was by far the best theme park land that I have ever been to. I was blown away, and especially loved how the characters interacted within the land.

Rise was very well done, and I really had a blast on Millenium Falcon. Also unlike Potter, this land can handle crowds!

I can’t wait to return!
With the Potter lands, even on a light day for the rest of the park, you will typically have a sea of people crammed in them. Since they are made up of tight corridors and even tighter gift shops, it often makes for an unpleasant experience. I very rarely set foot in the Potter shops because of this. I know it's more authentic to have the shops be cramped but it's unpleasant for the level of crowds the land sees.

Good to know most of the elements are working now. Last Dec. 7, meats weren't turning and droid wasn't moving.

Big fan of the Ronto Wrap here! Not cheap for a snack, and small-ish for a whole meal, though.

So for some reason, the pod racer engine occasionally shuts off along with the droid turning the meats, and this is actually part of the show. It seems to stay off for too long which leads to people thinking it is broken.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
So for some reason, the pod racer engine occasionally shuts off along with the droid turning the meats, and this is actually part of the show. It seems to stay off for too long which leads to people thinking it is broken.
Last August, I saw the whole thing working during lunch and later on that day. Thought it was cool, and wanted to show it to my H this December. We sat in front of it during lunch (about 40mins), and it didn't move during that whole time.

Do you know if the same applies to Dianoga?, didn't see it appear at the water fountain at all that day. Thanks!

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Next time you go to the land and see Kylo walking around please ask him how he has or why he is even wearing a helmet at all let alone an undamaged one when he destoryed his in Last Jedi ( since this land takes place between the last 2 films and in RISE OF SKYWALKER it clearly shows him putting his back together which means he does not have spares)?? THX. Disney can't even get their own timelines right.

DonaldDoleWhip

As someone who's more into Disney than Star Wars (I saw the ST in theaters and recently made myself watch ANH, but eh), I found Batuu cold. Nothing about the area itself gripped me; it reminded me of Mysterious Island in TDS but with less water and less depth. Water is a huge element in the theme parks for me, giving MK, Epcot, and AK a boost while still lacking in DHS, and the depth factor matters as well. It's what makes the areas of Animal Kingdom, TDS, and World Showcase fun to explore, while Batuu felt like a chore. A lot of backtracking just to get that falcon shot— never mind, it's too crowded— or locate the Guest Experience team.

I'm not saying Batuu isn't detailed, but for the land's size, it feels sparse. That's where kinetics, entertainment, a musical score, and additional live elements could come in, but they don't, aside from a few roaming characters. I guess you could say the light side and dark side are fully on display: the light being those ecstatic guest who are beaming with glee after scoring Boarding Group 14, and the dark being all the bitter guests who showed up before 5 but the app completely failed them for 40+ minutes as queueing switched to backup only. That was pretty unique.

Rise of the Resistance is very impressive, and absolutely a contender for one of the top family-friendly theme park experiences. There might be a few I'd personally take over it, and there are much bigger thrills to be had (without even leaving the park), but in terms of scale and ambition, full credit is due. In some ways, it captures the spirit of DHS 'greats' that came before it: the Great Movie Ride, Backlot Tour, and even ToT. A worthy signature experience for the park, even if it has a clone on the West Coast.

Ultimately, though, the area lacks emotion and resonance. Even Smuggler's Run doesn't provide the wish-fulfillment it should, due to feeling like a video game (with a very specific story and overly incessant narration) more than a swashbuckling adventure. Some simple tweaks could really give Batuu a boost, even for those of us who aren't attached to Star Wars.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Next time you go to the land and see Kylo walking around please ask him how he has or why he is even wearing a helmet at all let alone an undamaged one when he destoryed his in Last Jedi ( since this land takes place between the last 2 films and in RISE OF SKYWALKER it clearly shows him putting his back together which means he does not have spares)?? THX. Disney can't even get their own timelines right.

Next time you see Belle at a princess M&G, ask her why, as a princess, she keeps referring to King Adam as "Beast." After all, she didn't become a princess until he changed back to human form and married him in his human form.

The_Jobu

Do you think the boarding system for RotR and the no-fast passes for SR will continue after Mickey's RR opens?

I wonder if RR will have fastpasses?

Ripken10

Next time you see Belle at a princess M&G, ask her why, as a princess, she keeps referring to King Adam as "Beast." After all, she didn't become a princess until he changed back to human form and married him in his human form.
You don't have a nickname for your significant other that goes back to before you were married? I thought that's where all the best nick names comes from.

RobWDW1971

Exactly! This is why Fantasyland works so perfectly and Batuu is such a creative disaster. Fantasyland celebrates all storybook characters in all stories at all times vs. SWGE's idiotic decision to lock into a hyper specific place and time. This is why Fantasyland is always alive with characters of past, present, and future and not a single person ever has complained about seeing Gaston, Beast, Maleficent, etc., when they are from different parts of the story or are "dead" or are from different time periods (How can I see Mary Poppins and Little Mermaid at the same time?!?!!?), etc.

Star Wars land should be that celebration of all of Star Wars where Vader, Rey, Mandalorian, Kenobi, Jar Jar, and the great future Star Wars characters that have yet to be discovered can be celebrated. What WDI did was just limiting and idiotic.

Now, time to go to the pizza place in Tomorrowland if I want to see Boba Fett as he's not allowed in Batuu because he's dead - brilliant, simply brilliant.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

not the same thing. Disney has gone out of their way to tell you "you are not in a theme park but on a real planet in the star wars universe between episodes 8 and 9. you can live your own adventure." so my criticism is completely fair.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
not the same thing. Disney has gone out of their way to tell you "you are not in a theme park but on a real planet in the star wars universe between episodes 8 and 9. you can live your own adventure." so my criticism is completely fair.

I've already dismissed your incredibly naive approach to marketing of an immersive land as a promise of 100% immersion. That's literally ridiculous. As in, I'm actually laughing at the idea. It's a goal post literally in a far away galaxy that can never be reached and your expectation of it based on marketing is laughable.

I and others have tried to talk you through as to why that's so ridiculous and yet you remain in a cocoon of invincible ignorance and keep bringing up.

Well keep bringing up. But you're not convincing anyone.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I've already dismissed your incredibly naive approach to marketing of an immersive land as a promise of 100% immersion. That's literally ridiculous. As in, I'm actually laughing at the idea. It's a goal post literally in a far away galaxy that can never be reached and your expectation of it based on marketing is laughable.
It's not my approach to marketing, it is Disney's! I just wanted a fun land to celebrate all of star wars. Disney came up with this stupid idea to have the land actually take place in a forever set period of time and PROMOTED IT THAT WAY. THEY HAVE SAID "YOU ARE NOT AT DISNEYALND" WHEN THE LAND OPENED IN BOTH PARKS THE MOST COMMON COMMENT YOU READ ON THIS WEBISTE IS "THIS LAND DOES NOT MAKE ME FELL LIKE I AM IN HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS/DISNEYLAND BUT INSTEAD ON A ACTUAL PLANET IN STAR WARS." IT IS CHEAPEK WHO CAME OUT AND SAID EVERY CAST MEMBER HAS A BACK STORY AND GAVE THEM GOBOLDY GOOK SAYINGS TO SAY IN THE PARK AND PRETEND THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT RESTROOMS, RIDES, OR FIREWORKS ARE. You can personally dismiss me all you want but my point is 100% valid because I am not the only person making the point. HUNDREDS ARE. If not more who have visited the land. Disney has actually promoted the land this way so don't blame me for calling out their own inconsistencies between the land and their own trilogy time lines. FACTS ARE FACTS. DISNEY SET THIS UP AND THEY ARE TAKING IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL. THEY ARE DOUBLING DOWN ON THEIR STUPID IDEA WITH THEIR HOTEL. SO YOUR SHOT AT ME OF "naive approach to marketing of an immersive land as a promise of 100% immersion" SHOULD BE AIMED AT DISNEY DIRECTLY. YOU LIKE APPLES? WELL I JUST SCHOOLED YOU SO HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES?

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
It's not my approach to marketing, it is Disney's! I just wanted a fun land to celebrate all of star wars. Disney came up with this stupid idea to have the land actually take place in a forever set period of time and PROMOTED IT THAT WAY. THEY HAVE SAID "YOU ARE NOT AT DISNEYALND" WHEN THE LAND OPENED IN BOTH PARKS THE MOST COMMON COMMENT YOU READ ON THIS WEBISTE IS "THIS LAND DOES NOT MAKE ME FELL LIKE I AM IN HOLLYWOODSTUDIOS/DISNEYALND BUT INSTEAD ON ACTUAL PLANET IN STAR WARS. IT IS CHEAPEK WHO CAME OUT AND SAID EVERY CASTMEMBER HAS A BACK STORY AND GAVE THEM GOBOLDY GOOK SAYINGS TO SAY IN THE PARK AND PRETEND THEY DONT KNOW WHAT RESTROOMS, RIDES, OR FIREWORKS ARE. You can personally dismiss me all you want but my point is 100% valid because I am not the only person making the point. HUNDREDS ARE. If not more who have visited the land. Disney has actually promoted the land this way so don't blame me for calling out their own inconsistencies between the land and their own trilogy time lines. FACTS ARE FACTS. DISNEY SET THIS UP AND THEY ARE TAKING IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL. THEY ARE DOUBLING DOWN ON THIER STUPID IDEA WITH THEIR HOTEL. SO YOUR SHOT AT ME OF "naive approach to marketing of an immersive land as a promise of 100% immersion" SHOULD BE AMIED AT DISNEY DIRECTLY. YOU LIKE APPLES? WELL I JUST SCHOOLED YOU SO HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES?

You realize the all caps *hurts* your cause, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom