Very Nervous This Trip

dhousedog

Original Poster
Last trip to WDW was when 1 week was more than enough time to see and do everything (15 years ago). This time May 2020 is 8 days (5 adults 2 kids) and I am going to have a stress meltdown due to the explosion of new everything! The info available is overwhelming! Is there some easier way to plan than read 4 books and see 99+ sites? It's seriously causing anxiety.

Disneyhead'71

Last trip to WDW was when 1 week was more than enough time to see and do everything (15 years ago). This time May 2020 is 8 days (5 adults 2 kids) and I am going to have a stress meltdown due to the explosion of new everything! The info available is overwhelming! Is there some easier way to plan than read 4 books and see 99+ sites? It's seriously causing anxiety.
Ok, I have written this post 3 times and each time it made me want to cancel and just go to the beach.

No, there really is no easy way to get a handle on what WDW has to offer. And it's not just about what all WDW has to offer. Now you have to plan what park what day so you can make your FP+s, and where you want to eat for pretty much every meal while you're there so you can make ADRs. Otherwise you may find yourself having lunch standing with your tray sitting on a trash can.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Planning a trip to WDW can be overwhelming. The good news for you, is that you have time to do plenty of research and decide what you really want to do. Plan accordingly.

My advice to you would be, to set realistic goals, keep your expectations in check, and know that you won't be able to do it all. Nobody does!

Enjoy your time while you're there, people sometimes forget about that. :)

eliza61nyc

lol, deep breathe, deep breathe.. planning for a trip to wdw does not automatically have to be stressful. Now you do have to do some planning.
some suggestions.

start with the ages of the kids, what parks do you think they will like the most? the first thing I would probably do is sign up for touring plans, look at their crowd calendar and make a tentative plan.

Next as someone said, don't try to do "everything". it's impossible and will only lead to frustration.

Lastly, go to the planning forum here. the people there are really friendly and you can ask tons of questions.

You'll be fine 😉

Lilofan

Proper hydration and sunscreen is essential in the brutal Florida heat and humidity even in May. Also bring some ponchos with you since it could rain several times a day especially in the afternoon.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Create a spreadsheet and prioritize what you want to accomplish each day/each park.

Putting ideas down on paper (computer) gets them out of your head and into some semblance of order. Compartmentalize and Prioritize from there. What's new in the MK? What's new in the MK that interests you? What is the "Old Reliable" in the MK that you want to experience? Don't try and tackle all 8 days at once. Take it one day at a time.

MaryJaneP

To be somewhat less stressful, cut your list of hoped-for experiences by 75% and then be very happy that you were able to accomplish the 25% you are likely to actually do. Expectations are very overblown and people have become disappointed by FOMO, rather than raving about the experiences they actually had.

Back in the old days, very long ago, there were no ADRs or FP+s and we were very happy to have gotten done what we actually got done.

Was it everything there? Not in any way. Was is a relaxing visit? Much closer to the target even with the crowds, lines, and expense. Were we looking forward to it and, afterward, to a repeat visit? Absolutely!

Have realistic expectations and then have a great trip. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Last edited:

bryanfze55

Disney World is busy. Standby lines get very, very long. You won’t do everything. Best advice I can give you is do what others won’t do... there’s plenty of attractions throughout Disney World that don’t involve waiting an hour in line. If it’s a busy midday afternoon in the grueling heat, there’s so many options to get you away from the hustle and bustle and just relax a bit:
  1. Ride the PeopleMover
  2. Take the Liberty Square Riverboat around Tom Sawyer Island
  3. Venture over to Tom Sawyer Island and explore for an hour
  4. Go see the Country Bear Jamboree, Enchanted Tiki Room, Hall of Presidents, Mickey’s PhilharMagic, Carousel of Progress... tons of show options
  5. In Epcot, stroll through World Showcase or check out the aquarium
  6. In Animal Kingdom, walk through the animal exhibits. Maharajah Jungle Trek is particularly well-themed
Disney World is not conducive to a touring style in which you run from one headliner ride to the next headliner ride all day. You have to step back and enjoy the little details throughout your day.

JIMINYCR

Planning and preparing certainly is a daunting task now that everything has to be preplanned. But going on your trip with knowledge does give you a much better chance of getting a lot more accomplished. Even after having 14 trips under our belt and we go for 14 days, we find ourselves unable to do it all. The more intense crowds and longer lines have affected the amount you can get to do in a day. As others have said, plan your must do things first, keep your expectations reasonable, have patience, stay positive and enjoy what you can. If you do miss certain things, they can be a goal to set for a return trip.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Planning and preparing certainly is a daunting task now that everything has to be preplanned. But going on your trip with knowledge does give you a much better chance of getting a lot more accomplished. Even after having 14 trips under our belt and we go for 14 days, we find ourselves unable to do it all. The more intense crowds and longer lines have affected the amount you can get to do in a day. As others have said, plan your must do things first, keep your expectations reasonable, have patience, stay positive and enjoy what you can. If you do miss certain things, they can be a goal to set for a return trip.
With all that said, is that what you expect when you pay over $2,000 for tickets for four?

Tom P.

With all that said, is that what you expect when you pay over $2,000 for tickets for four?
With all due respect, that's not what this thread is about. Getting into yet another debate about the pros and cons of the current state of Walt Disney World does nothing to help the OP or answer their question. Better to leave those discussions for the many other more appropriate threads.

eliza61nyc

With all due respect, that's not what this thread is about. Getting into yet another debate about the pros and cons of the current state of Walt Disney World does nothing to help the OP or answer their question. Better to leave those discussions for the many other more appropriate threads.
Lol I did suggest Op go to the planning forum.

Op, just take the planning in small steps. I echo the others start with an Excel spreadsheet with each day and go from there.

Last edited:

Paper straw fan

Honestly I think reading thru here can sometimes do more harm than good, especially when it’s the “OMG RIDES RIDES MUST RIDE EVERYTHING RIDES” type posts.

Do what you can. Relax. Have fun. It’s probably going to be kinda crowded, it is now during the busy time (between Jan 1 - December 31) Yes, make your fast passes and dining reservations for the things you want- if they’re full, don’t sweat it- likely thousands of other people there are in the same boat.

Don’t worry about what you don’t get to do. Enjoy the things you do get to do. It’s not a competition, even though it can feel like it with Facebook, Instagram and even on here.

eliza61nyc

That is very sad you have to recommend a spreadsheet for someone to vacation at WDW. There is a reasonit kI choose to go elsewhere.
true, I do a ton of folks who feel part of the excitement is planning. I totally understand, if planning is not one's thing wdw might not be the best place to start off with.
I've been enough times where we rarely make a lot of plans. we go now and rarely even make adr's (lol and yes we eat ts every day)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom