Trip Report It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas! *COMPLETED*

The soothing croon of Michael Bublé kept reverberating in my mind as I pondered starting yet another trip report. Like summer, the Christmas season makes me happy. Going to WDW during the Christmas season makes me VERY HAPPY. The joy of sharing my trips with my WDWMAGIC friends makes me happier still. Thank you for the encouragement to keep on writing!

Holiday Vacation #1
When: November 16-23, 2019
Where: Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Who: Tuvalu and Woody

Looky! I finally got a Magic Shot!

8C56E00E-3234-4EFE-BE77-9111D4282F2B.jpeg

Okay, so it’s a bit creepy. But it leaves no doubt that this was a CHRISTMAS trip.

In mid-November. :hilarious:

But hey, we had Halloween in August!

And yours truly was very excited to experience Christmas decor at the resorts and in 3 of the 4 parks. (Epcot was still in full “Food and Wine” mode.) It wasn’t always this festive in November. We’ve been this same week in the past and outside of MK, there was very little decorating completed. I was so disappointed the year we stayed at WL (very close to turkey day) and missed out on the holiday stuff. I was worried the same thing would happen again. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Woody, on the other hand, is a “Let’s celebrate Thanksgiving before shifting our focus to Christmas” kind of guy. Growing up, his family did not put up their tree until CHRISTMAS EVE. (Can you imagine?!!) Over the years he has mellowed, thanks to my influence, and better tolerates the Christmas creep. Yet I was concerned that his inner Scrooge might reveal itself during this vacation.

I needn’t have worried. But I’m getting ahead of myself again.

Our week consisted of some new experiences and old experiences....some frustrations....some drama (of course!)....and a very magical meet.

Stay tuned.

MissViv

Late to this trip report …. again! But, I am really looking forward to your review on POP. Just changed my upcoming reservation from POP to POFQ for March 2020. Thought it would be too many kids and noisy. Looking forward to your thoughts!!!

We were there too 11/16- 11/20 at AKL and it was COLD ... started warming up the day we started back home!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, con’t

It was a chilly walk to the Skyliner. The winds were whipping off the water and the dreary sky suggested we were in a locale far north of Central Florida!

Despite the weather, the station was very picturesque.

66E5E883-AC72-42B1-8FCA-667B46C5C831.jpeg

50B55A8A-A34E-4E48-95EB-0EA1D607E007.jpeg

The cabins are very close to the water at this point.
Cabins?
The official Disney terminology for the gondola cars/buckets is cabins.
It’s a head-scratcher for me. But I will try to refer to the gondola “units” by their proper name.

834A73E7-93B5-4CBF-84E6-2730FB69A42D.jpeg

As I attempted to take a picture of Woody beneath the station sign, a CM came running out to me insisting he take the picture of the two of us.

Here is one of the six(!) he took.

A00B0E48-49EC-401B-8E44-477A12D36D94.jpeg

Ordinarily I assume CMs wouldn’t leave their post to snap photos of guests, but there was literally no one else around.

Woody and I had our own cabin from Pop to CBR.

78EFD265-6F22-48A1-AFDB-DDAB9676B57A.jpeg

I can honestly state that the inside of the cabin WAS NOT HOT. The ventilation system used to keep air moving works very well when it is 50 degrees outside. We were freezing! 🤣

It’s a short hop from Pop to CBR, barely enough time to take in the scenery. We disembarked and discovered where all the people were....at the CBR Skyliner station!

D62D27D2-4AE1-4E97-B409-A605D917EAAD.jpeg

I managed to get a picture of the sign but not the crowds.:facepalm: It was certainly not what I expected at four o’clock in the afternoon!

We queued for the Epcot line.

6DB258AA-3551-4B37-AB6D-D22226AFEDF2.jpeg

It wasn’t an awful wait, around 15 minutes. We did not have a private cabin, but it was the ONLY time we had to share during our rides this week.

If the short leg from Pop to CBR was cold, the long leg from CBR to Epcot was worse! I could not help but giggle to myself that rather than being seated in an oven (as the naysayers had proclaimed) we were in a freezer!

Flying over CBR.

B38D7F33-C379-486C-98D3-45247D47FE19.jpeg

The sight lines were definitely better during our Epcot journey. The novelty of riding high over the scenery distracted me from the side-to-side swaying of the cabin due to the wind. I am susceptible to motion sickness and began to feel a little woozy when we pulled into the Epcot station. I was glad the ride wasn’t any longer.

Woody and I joined the other Riff Raff members and entered Epcot through the International Gateway. This time the naysayers were correct ~ the quiet, unhurried and serene IG entrance is no more. :arghh:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Saturday, con’t

It was a chilly walk to the Skyliner. The winds were whipping off the water and the dreary sky suggested we were in a locale far north of Central Florida!

View attachment 430068

View attachment 430069

Cabins?
It’s a head-scratcher for me. But I will try to refer to the gondola “units” by their proper name.

View attachment 430070

As I attempted to take a picture of Woody beneath the station sign, a CM came running out to me insisting he take the picture of the two of us.

View attachment 430071

Ordinarily I assume CMs wouldn’t leave their post to snap photos of guests, but there was literally no one else around.

View attachment 430072

I can honestly state that the inside of the cabin WAS NOT HOT. The ventilation system used to keep air moving works very well when it is 50 degrees outside. We were freezing! 🤣

It’s a short hop from Pop to CBR, barely enough time to take in the scenery. We disembarked and discovered where all the people were....at the CBR Skyliner station!

View attachment 430073

I managed to get a picture of the sign but not the crowds.:facepalm: It was certainly not what I expected at four o’clock in the afternoon!

View attachment 430074

It wasn’t an awful wait, around 15 minutes. We did not have a private cabin, but it was the ONLY time we had to share during our rides this week.

If the short leg from Pop to CBR was cold, the long leg from CBR to Epcot was worse! I could not help but giggle to myself that rather than being seated in an oven (as the naysayers had proclaimed) we were in a freezer!

Flying over CBR.

View attachment 430075

The sight lines were definitely better during our Epcot journey. The novelty of riding high over the scenery distracted me from the side-to-side swaying of the cabin due to the wind. I am susceptible to motion sickness and began to feel a little woozy when we pulled into the Epcot station. I was glad the ride wasn’t any longer.

Woody and I joined the other Riff Raff members and entered Epcot through the International Gateway. This time the naysayers were correct ~ the quiet, unhurried and serene IG entrance is no more. :arghh:

I'm glad we got to experience the quiet serene IG entrance one more time. I really enjoy the walk to the Boardwalk from Epcot because it's so unhurried and quiet. It's peaceful.

Minnesota disney fan

I always have a real tree and it lasts about 4 weeks, just as long as it's watered consistently. :)

Plus, I live in a colder area (and I don't keep the high on too high). Did you live in a warmer climate, back when you were a kid? (That might be why the tree didn't last beyond a week.)
We lived in Ohio, so it was cold in the winter (but not like here in N. Mn. LOL). I remember the needles falling off in the house and when they took the tree down they dropped it onto a sheet to catch the needles. Don't know why that memory sticks with me. We only have artificial trees now and I keep it up for more than a month. If you keep a live tree up for 4 weeks, that's awesome:)

93boomer

Premium Member
Saturday, con’t

View attachment 430068

View attachment 430069

Cabins?

View attachment 430070

View attachment 430071

View attachment 430072

View attachment 430073

View attachment 430074

Flying over CBR.

View attachment 430075

Yes they were freezing !! Close the vents when it’s cold people! Wonder if that’s part of the reason I came home with a bad cold🤔
No the IG was not quiet anytime we came by Skyliner. 😟

DisneyGigi

Saturday, con’t

View attachment 430068

View attachment 430069

Cabins?

View attachment 430070

View attachment 430071

View attachment 430072

View attachment 430073

View attachment 430074

Flying over CBR.

View attachment 430075

Gosh, I bet it was cold! Was it as cold this trip as the trip last November when we were both there? I almost froze to death those last two days it hit the 40s!

Excellent pics of the views.

I hope Pop was quieter for you than it was us our last stay in 08 or 09- we had a colicky or sick baby right beside us. 😑

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, con’t

Animal Kingdom may be Nahtazu, but Epcot sure was!!

51641523-AB2F-4FC0-ABAD-91DAD2A748D0.jpeg

My own fault for planning an Epcot visit on a Saturday during the Food and Wine Festival! Woody and I felt like salmon swimming upstream during our attempt to get to Future World. The cold weather ended up being a benefit for us, as we did not break a sweat through the exertion of crowd maneuvering (and we did not have to pass by any “ripe” bodies, if you get my drift.)

Though there were fewer people in Future World, we had to contend with another challenge.

3ADF69D4-72A3-4165-9F98-9E22762A3C54.jpeg

In all honesty, this park is a MESS. Inside and outside. The entrances to MK and AK are also a MESS, but at least it’s business as usual inside the parks. Epcot has taken construction to a whole ‘nother level. Having an AP takes the “sting” out of admission to this park. My advice to anyone needing a day ticket is WAIT. Save your money until the “re-imagining” is complete.

Between the crowds and the walls, our visit was not starting off well. Woody was tired from our drive down and I sensed he did not want to be here. We had a dinner ADR that he was looking forward to though, so we agreed we’d use our FPs, have dinner and return to Pop before it got late.

I was nervous that we’d be turned away from our first FP attraction. We were 20 minutes past the end time of our window. Mickey turned blue for both of us, but the CM just shrugged and let us in. Had we been denied, we would have waited in the 20 minute standby line anyway for this favorite.

3C7A9567-3252-409A-8907-12CF4C575B7F.jpeg

DAE7CEE2-3492-47D4-8D79-05C92E17F0EB.jpeg

41C17008-0944-42B0-A246-85B55EBDEBCC.jpeg

Time to soar...

A239DB76-B1B3-42F6-A735-F9C8742C036D.jpeg

....on glider A, on the far right side of the screen. Rather than be annoyed by the unnatural curvature of the icons, I focused my eyes on other details off to the side and noticed a few new things. (Turned that lemon into lemonade!)

Was a FP really necessary for Figment? Yes, yes it was. It’s a cute attraction, but not worth a 30 minute wait for us.

097238BD-68D9-45AE-9B9F-E4FBD7C1703D.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Dusk had fallen as we walked back through the crowds towards the IG and then across the bridge to France. It would have been a lovely stroll on a less-busy night.

Woody and I dined at Chefs de France during the holiday season a couple years ago and had a wonderful experience. We were looking forward to a repeat.

Festive garland welcomed us at the door.

890730DA-499E-4DAA-8245-2F123FD0446E.jpeg

I was thrilled to be seated next to a window (indoor and outdoor views!) under a pretty wreath.

FFF6CF99-29A0-4EDB-A4BD-5CF3923D8CEC.jpeg

D6E20BCA-783C-4A59-8DC7-ADE9BB8F7528.jpeg

The restaurant was beautiful at night. Most of our meals at Chefs have been during the day.

11F8B30C-342E-4CCC-A577-8483ADDCC5E1.jpeg

Our server didn’t arrive for several minutes but we didn’t mind. We had time to look over both the food and wine menus and enjoy the ambiance. The stage had been set for a glorious, leisurely meal.

But then the curtain went up ~ and we were treated to RUSHED: A CHEFS de FRANCE DINING EVENT.

In the span of 5 minutes we ordered, received our bread and wine AND our entrées!

The food was fabulous but it was hard to really enjoy it because we felt so RUSHED. No time to savor the crusty warm baguette paired with a nice glass of wine. Had to eat the mains before they got cold!

2AEDF98A-75E4-4A62-A2CB-07BC65EAF509.jpeg

Pinot Noir for Woody and Vouvray for moi.

CB3A2C51-DA43-49DE-B239-DDDEC5F64721.jpeg

Beef Bourguignon with linguine for Woody.

061FC284-98EC-4631-83C2-F69A84D37194.jpeg

Filet with peppercorn sauce and au gratin potatoes for moi.

87F1EF51-5606-41C3-B6D7-690ACA74BE10.jpeg

To reiterate, everything was truly delicious and we’d gladly order these dishes again....when we weren’t so RUSHED.

We’d barely put our forks down when our plates were whisked away and we were asked about dessert. Not wanting to endure a dessert dash, we declined.

I offered up my Tables and Wonderland card and was informed the discount is not valid for dinner, only lunch. :bored: We paid and did not linger, since it was quite clear lingering was not an option.

Rista1313

Saturday, con’t

Animal Kingdom may be Nahtazu, but Epcot sure was!!

View attachment 430088

My own fault for planning an Epcot visit on a Saturday during the Food and Wine Festival! Woody and I felt like salmon swimming upstream during our attempt to get to Future World. The cold weather ended up being a benefit for us, as we did not break a sweat through the exertion of crowd maneuvering (and we did not have to pass by any “ripe” bodies, if you get my drift.)

Though there were fewer people in Future World, we had to contend with another challenge.

View attachment 430098

In all honesty, this park is a MESS. Inside and outside. The entrances to MK and AK are also a MESS, but at least it’s business as usual inside the parks. Epcot has taken construction to a whole ‘nother level. Having an AP takes the “sting” out of admission to this park. My advice to anyone needing a day ticket is WAIT. Save your money until the “re-imagining” is complete.

Between the crowds and the walls, our visit was not starting off well. Woody was tired from our drive down and I sensed he did not want to be here. We had a dinner ADR that he was looking forward to though, so we agreed we’d use our FPs, have dinner and return to Pop before it got late.

I was nervous that we’d be turned away from our first FP attraction. We were 20 minutes past the end time of our window. Mickey turned blue for both of us, but the CM just shrugged and let us in. Had we been denied, we would have waited in the 20 minute standby line anyway for this favorite.

View attachment 430089

View attachment 430090

View attachment 430091

Time to soar...

View attachment 430092

....on glider A, on the far right side of the screen. Rather than be annoyed by the unnatural curvature of the icons, I focused my eyes on other details off to the side and noticed a few new things. (Turned that lemon into lemonade!)

Was a FP really necessary for Figment? Yes, yes it was. It’s a cute attraction, but not worth a 30 minute wait for us.

View attachment 430093
ooo look at you in your cute little castle leggings!

PeoplemoverTTA

That’s interesting about signage asking you not to leave anything on the table in your room. When we stayed at POP last year, there wasn’t a sign (and we always left it down...with stuff on it, traveling with a baby — maybe it’s our fault!).

It’s funny you mention the cabins. My twin brother worked as a Skyway CM during his college program in spring 1999. He used to get very annoyed if someone called it a Skyway “bucket.”

“They’re CABINS,” he’d over-enunciate 🤣

To this day, he still gets funny about it!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
In spite of the motion sensitivity I had on the Skyliner, I was looking forward to riding it at night. Would I feel like Tinker Bell taking flight from the Castle?

Sadly, I didn’t get to find out. When we arrived at the Skyliner, it was closed. Perhaps the gusty winds were a factor?

What to do? We certainly did not want to walk back through Epcot all the way to the front exit and then hike to the Pop bus gate (the furthest gate from the exit, I might add.) Is that what Pop/AoA and CBR guests are supposed to do when the Skyliner is down? There was no signage explaining what to do.

“Uber from Beach Club!” I announced to Woody. A little money could solve the problem.

(We learned the next day that should the Epcot Skyliner be down, guests are to walk or ferry to the Boardwalk and go to the front of the resort where the bus stops are. Buses to Pop/AoA and CBR will be available to transport guests back to these resorts.)

As we entered Beach Club, I might have let loose a gleeful squeal. The gingerbread carousel was in the lobby, and this year’s theme was Peter Pan!

3D14D9E8-AF13-47F5-A961-122AD8BF49BE.jpeg

Wendy! (Love the ponytail!)
73961CFE-407B-4937-B91B-434FB2D6492F.jpeg

Tink!
7B27D002-477C-4441-AC03-F64DC8E98390.jpeg

Smee!
E1769AC2-D851-4795-9CF6-34AB1C791A72.jpeg

Pan!
7E2827D2-08BA-4CAB-95FA-AA9B8D2291F7.jpeg

London skyline and moon
7BEB6762-002D-4FF8-8D7E-FB0DCFF58667.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
There were so many details on the carousel that even with careful study, I’m sure I missed a few. I turned my attention to the beautiful lobby tree.

5C1408FE-C9CF-4819-BC79-693D1ABDC9C4.jpeg

Before summoning our Uber, I remembered the holiday train village in the Yacht Club lobby. I suggested to Woody that we walk over and see it. We would catch Uber from Yacht instead.

This was not a wall I was happy to see. I liked Beaches and Cream the way it was. Hope it does not lose its charm after the refurb. I’ve got an ADR booked next year.

AF6B5FC1-92C2-4F8D-A1A6-12DCD9BE7CE1.jpeg

The Yacht tree captured our attention first. It was large and regal.

B77B3C60-02B5-43C9-8571-AB4E0ACF631B.jpeg

Love the nautical ornaments!

17B4C6D0-3EEF-4074-9CE7-CB8B8C984688.jpeg

69A755C3-C2A0-4D0A-BCF4-42342D632684.jpeg

We admired the train layout and all the different little scenes.

F4A988EC-3635-4AC9-A64C-40A83D41B269.jpeg

C67F8901-700B-46C9-BBBD-453DD41146F3.jpeg

2C58E17A-1D2A-4920-AD96-A04B4E0BC6D7.jpeg

28A06411-DFAA-4809-AB69-5F07444D4430.jpeg

F9A555E8-1754-4E6F-9972-0790F1F470FF.jpeg

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
In spite of the motion sensitivity I had on the Skyliner, I was looking forward to riding it at night. Would I feel like Tinker Bell taking flight from the Castle?

Sadly, I didn’t get to find out. When we arrived at the Skyliner, it was closed. Perhaps the gusty winds were a factor?

What to do? We certainly did not want to walk back through Epcot all the way to the front exit and then hike to the Pop bus gate (the furthest gate from the exit, I might add.) Is that what Pop/AoA and CBR guests are supposed to do when the Skyliner is down? There was no signage explaining what to do.

“Uber from Beach Club!” I announced to Woody. A little money could solve the problem.

(We learned the next day that should the Epcot Skyliner be down, guests are to walk or ferry to the Boardwalk and go to the front of the resort where the bus stops are. Buses to Pop/AoA and CBR will be available to transport guests back to these resorts.)

As we entered Beach Club, I might have let loose a gleeful squeal. The gingerbread carousel was in the lobby, and this year’s theme was Peter Pan!

View attachment 430142

Wendy! (Love the ponytail!)
View attachment 430136

Tink!
View attachment 430137

Smee!
View attachment 430139

Pan!
View attachment 430140

London skyline and moon
View attachment 430141

The ponytail is brilliant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom